Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2006 7:24:32 PM EDT
Someone is selling a PEQ2 and I wanted to know;

How do I verify its real? NSN# or Serial#?
Is there an expiration on these lasers?
How long are they good for?
What should I look for?
how much are they worth?

I can send you pictures of the unit if it will help. These are pics sent to me buy the seller so if you want more I can ask him.

Link Posted: 5/25/2006 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 3:17:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Post pics & we'll give you an evaluation...or best we can with pics.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can give me your EM address I'll send you the pics. I dont know how to transfer it from my EM to tinypic.com to ARFCOM post, but I can transfer it from EM to EM.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Someone is selling a PEQ2 and I wanted to know;

How do I verify its real? NSN# or Serial#?
Is there an expiration on these lasers?
How long are they good for?
What should I look for?
how much are they worth?

I can send you pictures of the unit if it will help. These are pics sent to me buy the seller so if you want more I can ask him.

I have not seen a copy/clone of the PEQ-2A. (Not saying there might not be one out there, I just have not seen it).  Have him take the a pic of the bottom label to have a look-see at the numbers. There you will see the S/N date of manufacture, etc.  

As for how long they are good for? If kept in good condition, the laser modules last a VERY long time.  Some things you should look for include, all windage and elevation knobs are in working order and actually move the lasers.  Insure the flood illuminator adjuster works and the beam is clean. I have seen many PEQ units that show quite a bit of distortion in this area. This is usually caused from the unit getting bashed around and the internal illuminator laser gets damaged a bit.  Presently, there is no way to fix this issue as you cannot send it back to Insight for repair as you will never get it back and the units are virtually impossible to pull apart.  The units are after all restricted which brings me to my next point.  With these types of lasers, if anything does ever go wrong, you're usually stuck as there is no where to have them repaired.

As for worth, dpending on conditon, I have seen them as high as 3K and as low as 1200K for beat up units.  Hope this helps.

See HERE for Airsoft clone
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A terrible copy at that. The PAQ-4 copies I've seen are much closer to the real thing than this thing.  

I know just wanted people to know they are out there
Link Posted: 5/27/2006 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Its in the mail for inspection
I'll post pics when I get it
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I emailed you a "Antiques Roadshow" reply to the pic you sent me.

Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2006 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Now with pics - see above
Link Posted: 6/5/2006 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/5/2006 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
All knobs seem to look good, stickers still in intact. Manufacture date at 11/98? (or older?)  The only thing I do not see on the sticker is the NSN number.  Does it have one? One other thing I do not see, (very peculiar) in the switch depression cutout, there is no the Allen hole and ridge-stop for the blue safety cap for low power only (training mode) setting.  I've never seen a unit not have the Allen hole.  Not all used unit’s come with the blue cap of course.... Maybe because the year or manufacturer this hole and ridge-stop missing?  I've had many older units in my hands, but have not seen the missing hole and ridge?...Hmmm....

You power this thing up as yet?  Give it a whirl and you'll know right away if the 50mW lasers are working as they are designed, A LONG WAY!

It has 6 settings; off, aim low, aim hi, illum, dual low & dual hi. The date of manufacture is 11/96. It has 50mW power & 820-850nm wavelength.  It has covers for both IR sources.

I have an EM sent to Insight Tech that I sent an hour ago. I'm waiting to hear back. I gaave them the serial # which is stamped on it on the bottom. I did try it and its bright with my 3rd gen ANVIS mono. Works great, but I dont see a NSN #. The knobs are tight and click well too.

As for the other items I'm not sure what your talking about.
switch depression cutout?
Allen hole and ridge-stop?
I'll send you some more pics if you send me your EM
Link Posted: 6/5/2006 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/5/2006 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]

The dial stop is a reversable plug that drops into the switch well, and locks in-place with an allen set screw. It's there to prevent the switch from rotating to high-power setting duing force-on-force training. The blue side is eye-safe and the black allows full-power.

Yours is an earlier model that doesn't have it.

It's still a nice piece of hardware.

Link Posted: 6/6/2006 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks real to me
I'm still looking for the lens caps and battery tethers for mine

Link Posted: 6/6/2006 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Is it possible that it fell off?
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#18]
It didn't fall off, there would be a mounting hole and a retaining bridge where the plug mounts.

There was a run of PEQ's that did not have them. They're rare, but out there. I'm curious to see what Insight tells you about the origin.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#20]
2 days now and insight still didn't respond. I also called them and was put on hold a long time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#21]
In hindsight, I think Vic is right. They may never get back to you.

I had to keep calling & emailing, when I was trying to contact them.

Link Posted: 6/7/2006 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I know vic said you can find them used for $1200, but that's what I see used PAQs for, not PEQ's.

The cheapest I have seen used PEQ's for is in the $1900 range, but maybe I don't have the right
contacts-  If anyone has one for sale cheaper than that, let me know -

Link Posted: 6/8/2006 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I know vic said you can find them used for $1200, but that's what I see used PAQs for, not PEQ's.

The cheapest I have seen used PEQ's for is in the $1900 range, but maybe I don't have the right

Keep your eyes on this one Link
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep your eyes on this one Link

That one doesn't have a blue knob on the switch either
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That one doesn't have a blue knob on the switch either

Right,
But you can see where it screws into, and you can also see the retaining wall it sits against. Yours doesn't have those items. It is sortof odd, but not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#26]

I tested the PEQ yesterday and its got to be the real deal!
I compared it to a Surefire flashlight 600 series with IR filter and 2 other IR flashlights and it was brighter then both. It can also focus the IR flashlight almost into a laser. I didn't have an IR laser to campare but the 50mV laser is really impressive too. Its too bright on the high setting with Gen 3 NV.

Thanks for all the help
GF  
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#27]
IMHO, since these are not for non-mil consumption, it is safe to say this is .mil property.  Simply having it in your hands is prima facia evidence of "knowlingly and intentionaly receiving stolen goods valuing $200 or more."  A felony in all states.  Any FLEO that witnesses a felony in progress took an oath that requires action.  

Short version?  Being seen with this is asking for a no-knock warrant served at 4am by your favorite alphabet soup agency.  

Yes, I got off topic again.  Yes, I pissed on the parade.  But until the day laws don't matter - coming soon - I make an effort to obey them.  The safest way to deploy this kit is on a private range where it won't be seen.  No bragging rights on this piece.

Not professional legal advise.  Just the experience of a reformed LEO.
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I Thought some PAQ-4's and PEQ-2's were surplussed at some point since they were damaged, and its probably not that hard to repair them?

Link Posted: 6/21/2006 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#29]
There are many ways to legally procure IR devices...they're not controlled items, like firearms, suppressors, & DD's.

Owning them, is not breaking the law.

For instance, LE Agencies can (and do) legally sell-off surplus hardware to the public. The FDA law states that Manufacturers can only sell to Mil and LE under Letterhead, or PO. There is no law saying these agencies can't sell old hardware to the public as they update thier equipment.

Stolen Gov't property is a different issue. I believe that GroundFire201took reasonable steps to find-out if the PEQ he bought was stolen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
There are many ways to legally procure IR devices....

All valid points.  Thanks for the reminder.  But I don't trust the Alphabet Soup guys to be well versed in the finer points.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I should also mention...

What, someone's at the door, I'll be right back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top