Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2008 11:20:15 AM EDT
Static ATPIAL pics for your enjoyment..

More pictures to come...mounted on rifle..

Link Posted: 8/19/2008 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, would you mind describing each of the positions of the control knob?  It looks to function slightly differently than a DBAL-A2 (PEQ-15A).

IBTM
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Neat
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The AN/PEQ-15 is an awsome peice of gear. I spent 7 months with one. It is much easier to use than the DBAL A2 due to the switches and lower profile. To describe the switch-olgy, you set the type of laser to be used with the rotary switch, and then pressing the remote switch or dome switch will turn it on and off, pressing it twice in rapid sucession will keep the laser on (like the PEQ-2A). The switch positions are, from the bottom, Visible Red laser, off, Program (if you put it on this pos, press and hold the on switch you can set the blink rate, watch the green LED on the back of the unit), IR Aim low power, IR dual (Aim and illum) low power, Aim High power, Ilum high power and dual high power.

A great unit. I loved mine.

mrf2
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Somehow, I'm not too impressed with LDI and I favor Insight a lot more after seeing the DLAP VS PEQ-2 or ATPIAL. In case of the DLAP I saw, there was no protective window at all and you can see the brass from the laser diode. Plus it's heavy. The beam was not string on the DLAP I saw....maybe it was an unfair comparison with the PEQ-2.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Biggest problem with the LDI lasers I have come across was the dot quality and halo. The dot quality isn't as big an issue as the halo-at this price point, there should be a hood cap or something to keep that excess spill down.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
There is alot of great info here to digest!

SMGLee, thanks for the excellent pics.  Would you please provide a weight of the device w/o any external switches.  For reference, a 15A is 233 grams [8.2 oz.] by my scale.

I really like the streamlined low profile of the 15, as well as the top mounted mode selector and large integral switch button; the W&E adjusters are also quite recessed.  I assume that they can be adjusted with a cartridge casing rim?  It doesn't appear as though a standard [LT, ARMS, etc.] throw lever mount could be easily adapted though?

Mrf2, thank you as well for the very detailed description of the mode selector based upon your extensive firsthand experience with the device.  The "double tap" momentary-to-constant switch function sounds extremely useful.  The program mode is also quite interesting.

Vic, I am a bit inclinded to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the muscle memory requirement, but I have not yet tried a 15 to compare.  I have found the 15A to be surprisingly easy to learn in this regard, other than the rear mounted switches.  I'll defer to your opinion, as you have done both.

The separate 4-pos mode selector and 5-pos intensity/duration selector of the 15A seem to work pretty well for me with not a whole lot of practice, and in a fully tactile environment.  Runnning an 8-pos selector might take a bit more of conscious thought counting clicks?

Neither device offers the option of high illum / low aiming, so I guess the powers-that-be don't consider that viable, but methinks it would be an option worth considering.

Both the 15 and 15A appear to be most wonderful devices; it is a shame that they are not readily available to the average Joe.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Something I just noticed on the pics, what is that receptical for a cable/plug (?) on the right side of the laser, just below the switch, on the back end of the laser? Not something I saw on ours, a new feature?

mrf2
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 5:02:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Something I just noticed on the pics, what is that receptical for a cable/plug (?) on the right side of the laser, just below the switch, on the back end of the laser? Not something I saw on ours, a new feature?

mrf2

Receptacle for the remote switch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the power ratings?
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
So wait, is this different than the PEQ 15? WE just got ours and I am still learning it but I like it alot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is alot of great info here to digest!

SMGLee, thanks for the excellent pics.  Would you please provide a weight of the device w/o any external switches.  For reference, a 15A is 233 grams [8.2 oz.] by my scale.

I really like the streamlined low profile of the 15, as well as the top mounted mode selector and large integral switch button; the W&E adjusters are also quite recessed.  I assume that they can be adjusted with a cartridge casing rim?  It doesn't appear as though a standard [LT, ARMS, etc.] throw lever mount could be easily adapted though?

Mrf2, thank you as well for the very detailed description of the mode selector based upon your extensive firsthand experience with the device.  The "double tap" momentary-to-constant switch function sounds extremely useful.  The program mode is also quite interesting.

Vic, I am a bit inclinded to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the muscle memory requirement, but I have not yet tried a 15 to compare.  I have found the 15A to be surprisingly easy to learn in this regard, other than the rear mounted switches.  I'll defer to your opinion, as you have done both.

The separate 4-pos mode selector and 5-pos intensity/duration selector of the 15A seem to work pretty well for me with not a whole lot of practice, and in a fully tactile environment.  Runnning an 8-pos selector might take a bit more of conscious thought counting clicks?

Neither device offers the option of high illum / low aiming, so I guess the powers-that-be don't consider that viable, but methinks it would be an option worth considering.

Both the 15 and 15A appear to be most wonderful devices; it is a shame that they are not readily available to the average Joe.

That's because you and XCQTR are rocket scientists sorta speak!!  

Don't get me wrong, I am not downgrading the DBAL A2 at all...But compared to the PEQ-2A and the ATILLA, I would like to have seen the switches laid out a bit better, especially when using the unit in the dead of night.

Vic

I call BS in the most polite way possible; you are the freakin' Aeronautical Engineer aka "rocket scientist", and I am just a plain Jane Mechanical Engineer.  

I am quite likely partial to the 15A, since that is what I have been able to procure, but given the choice, the 15 looks VERY attractive.  I couldn't agree more that the rear versus top mounted switches are sub-optimal on the 15A, sort of like most EO's out there.  At least, we have managed to convert you from that dog to the T-1.  

As far as the "dead of night", 100% agreed that one must be able to operate this type of equipment purely by feel, and that takes ALOT of practice.  Someone who you know commented the other day when I was showing him helmet-mounted PVS ops something along the lines of, well yeah but you have obviously done this before.  Like I mentioned, the recent experience with the 15A in the field was surprisingly intuitive.  What with the circumstances requiring frequent mode changes, it felt quite natural.  Maybe, the 15 is even better; I don't know?

I am in the process of compiling a specs comparison for several devices to answer Wes's querry; hopeffully, I will be able to post it in the next day or so.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
to the op:
sweeeeet!
we should post this kind of stuff here all the time,as its only relevant to nv

to victor:
how come ever other time someone brings up ir lasers,or asks about ir lasers,you move or dump the post...why is this one allowed?
this should be disscussed here.will this post stay here?
it would be nice.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I have not had the opportunity to check out the ATILLA-200 firsthand, but after reading up on it, it does indeed appear to be the pick of the litter.  Independently variable intesity along with the highest available peak output sure sounds like a tough combination to beat!

Using the illuminator to mitigate the aiming laser's bloom/halo on highly reflective and/or close targets is exactly the point I was alluding to previously.

Would you please elaborate a bit on the program mode of the PEQ-15?

I e-mailed you the draft of my specs comparison spreadsheet; if you wouldn't mind proofing, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That's because you and XCQTR are rocket scientists sorta speak!!  

What? I only mop floors for living.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#22]
How much do you want for it?
I'll take two!
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
How much do you want for it?
I'll take two!

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.  Plus, it's not available to civies.  SMGLEE is the super ninja photo-journalist for the industry that covers all the trade shows.  I'll wager a guess that this one ain't his.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#24]
SMGLee, thanks for posting the pics!

(tho it is beyond me how this hasnt been moved)
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SMGLee, thanks for posting the pics!

(tho it is beyond me how this hasnt been moved)

(See 7th post above?).  Maybe because people here in this thread know how to keep on topic unlike a few others who have ruined if for tho others in many past IR laser threads!

NV Moderator

OK, if thats what happened.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#27]
First, Thanks SMGLee for the pics.

But there is a thread right now in the laser section that is a complete technical write up of converting an ebay to a working IR, and this thread stays here?

For the sake of people conducting research and using the search function, ALL lasers should be under the laser section.  I thought that was part of what Ed Sr. Said in our first spat.  hence the double move of my archived/lapsed thread?
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=241897

This is heralding back to my issues from our disagreement over how this forum is run.  For search purposes, all laser stuff needs to be in the laser section.  You should not be picking and choosing which will end up in NV or Lasers.  

ETA:  If IR is only visible with NOD's would that not make it a NV accessory?  If it is a NV accessory why are we unable to discuss the legality of said NV products?  If IR lasers are not NV accessories, then why would this thread stay here?  If this thread will stay here, we need to bring all the IR laser threads here as well.

ETA: I will not post in this thread again.  Please visit this thread.
laser posting overlap/confusion
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#30]
As reluctant as I am to reply to the latest turn of this thread, I will do so with the hope of not experiencing adverse repercussions from any parties; that may be wishful thinking.  I have been here since this forum opened, and have tried to contribute in a positive fashion, as have many others more knowledgeable than me; that is the intention with this post as well.  Mods, please feel free to edit away if this is considered off topic.

There are quite often MANY forums where a given topic would be considered "appropriate" to be posted.  Take for example someone making an inquiry or recommendation on barrel selection for a long range 5.56 AR.  It could be posted in AR Discussions; Build It Yourself; Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and More; or even Precision Rifles or various Industry forums.  The OP will try to select the particular forum which either potentially has the best input to offer, or can make best use of the info which he is offering…..based upon his assessment.  If he were to post the same topic in several forums simultaneously, well we all know what the response would be.

Sometimes threads get moved if the community suggests doing so, or if mods determine it to be appropriate; the OP often figures out on his own that there is a “better” place, and requests a move.….again, somewhat subjective at times.

Does a thread about a weapon mount for a monocular “belong” in NV or Optics, Mounts, and Sights?  It will after all be mounted in conjunction with an optical device.

How about helmet rigs; maybe in Tactical Gear or Survival Gear?  Heck there was a cross post to a NVD from that forum not too long ago, so someone thought that was the best place for it originally, and it stayed there.

The point is that most threads don’t fit perfectly or exclusively in any one forum.

In the context of IR lasers, which appears to be a sensitive subject to some, it seems like the guys who modify, build from scratch, etc. such devices tend to hang out more in the Lights and Lasers forum, whereas those who operate with off-the-shelf devices in conjunction with NOD’s maybe spend a bit more time in this forum.  Is there overlap?  For damn sure there is.

It is sometimes a tough call where is “the” best place to put things for both the OP and the site staff, but it seems as though all have been trying their best.  Last time that I checked, the search function has the option for ** All Communities**; I am not sure if that is exclusively available to Team Members.

One thing that has been clear and consistent from the outset is that regulatory discussions of IR lasers will not be held in the NV forum; right, wrong, or indifferent, that is the guidance which we have all been given by the folks who keep this site up and running.

Sorry for the somewhat long-winded editorial, but I know what arfcom was like before the NV forum existed, and I for one would like to see it stay around for the future.  This is one of the more exclusive, not to imply elitist, communities; we need to all get along together to survive.  We have already lost Pete; I hope that the likes of XCQTR, Tim, Wes, Roger, Bill, Sniper, et al don’t follow that path….or me either, for that matter.

Nomex on.

Oh, and most importantly, Gustav, Fay, and Ike have destroyed, damaged, displaced, or otherwise inconvenienced millions of people across a big part of our nation; if you can find it in your heart to donate a few bucks to the American Red Cross or another respectable charity, trust me, good honest hardworking folks really need your assistance.  My wife and I happened to be some of the lucky ones despite being right on the latest storm’s path.

The greatest of thanks to our active and reserve military, social service employees, and independent contractors from across the country who are allowing me to type this message; I have spoken with plenty folks again today who are still without potable water and electricity, and could be for quite some time.

Link Posted: 9/16/2008 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Very well written post. Hope things improve for all the folks down there in TX. To keep things on topic the ATPIAL pics are very nice. Has anyone used the Ultra Tactical 5mw waterproof IR sight. I bought one to try it out. Seems to be well made but have not had the chance to put it through the paces. Trying to catch the last bit of fishing on the boat before it gets cold. Will test it later in the fall.Got it as more of a toy then anything and just wondered if anyone has used one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 murderman
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#35]
This gadget here.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
...snip
We have already lost Pete; I hope that the likes of XCQTR, Tim, Wes, Roger, Bill, Sniper, et al don’t follow that path….or me either, for that matter.

It seems as though a clarification is in order on my part:

Many of us know that Pete was banned from arfcom for reasons which I am not in a position to discuss, since I am neither informed as to the specifics, nor was I part of the decision making process.  

To be perfectly clear, I was not at all suggesting that others might be banned for simply expressing their knowledgeable technical opinions, and it was inappropriate for me to group different individuals together in the same statement.

Please bear with my inadvertent oversight, as it has been a reasonably rough go of late.

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This gadget here.  i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr58/deanjsnyder/image003.jpg

Mods, please dont think I am stirring anything up here. I'm hesitatant to post this at all since my hand was smacked above, but I do have a burning question about DinoSnyder's IR laser.
(Reasons
a: he may not see the question if I post it in Lasers and Lights and
b: i think the answer would be of interest to all so it would be selfish to just IM Dino ).

So here goes:

Is the UltraX pictured above by Ultratactical.com made in the US or is it asian?

Please dont hurt me.......
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Good question.There are no markings at all that tells me where it was made. Looked all over and in the manual. Even took it apart. The body is built as solid as my surefire M1. It has windage and elevation screws. Played with it last night a little and it works pretty good for a 5mw. Have not mounted it to anything but just played with it in the yard.I too don't really want to bring up the IR la--- subject. I cringe because of all the other past IR you no what debacles which I was very happy to stay out of. Murderman summed it up very well.Victor if you want to move this to the Lights and Lasers I promise no hard feelings. Might get a little misty but no tears ! LMAO Anyhow once i get time to use it I will post a review over in the L&L section
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks, Dino.

The reason I asked is that it closely resembles a couple of asian ones that appear regularly on ebay. I have bought the green variety of them and have been suitably impressed with the power, but found the ele/wind adjustments to be on par with something barely suitable for airsoft. The cheapass tape switch also only lasted a couple of outings. But brother, that thing Was bright.

I'm gonna go with Probably Asain Made based on what you guys have posted + I think if it was US or European made, it would be prominently stated somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#43]
The tape switch is kinda cheap on this one also. It works but you have to press it in the right spot. Like I said my expectations were low so I am not disappointed. Its very bright and functional for my application. Will know more once I mount it and see if it holds 0. Kinda thinkin it won't but who knows !!
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Any pics with it mounted on weapon?
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Not sure what pics you wanted but here are ones for my cheap laser. So far its held zero but I don't have many rounds with it to give it an honest test. It works for me. The tape switch sucks. My life doesn't depend on it and it does what I want it to do. The body of it is built well. IMHO its fine for recreational use but I would not use it in any application that my life depended on. I am far from any kind of laser expert so i really can't comment on the internals. From the exterior it looks well made. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top