Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2013 12:29:06 AM EDT
Looking at the PVS-17 and the GSCI PBS-14 and Im finding it hard to spot the differance. Anyone able to enlighten me??
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Looking at the PVS-17 and the GSCI PBS-14 and Im finding it hard to spot the differance. Anyone able to enlighten me??
View Quote

I don't think you have those numbers correct. The PVS-17 is a Riflescope. The PBS-14 is a PVS-14 clone... Nothing alike?

PVS-17

PBS-14...

Which models were you thinking of?

Regards

David
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Cj have you ever tried out the 14 clone. I would be curious how the optics are and if the body is solid. Looks OK from the picture but it is just a picture. I always like to check out low cost alternatives. Who sells/makes the housing ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cj have you ever tried out the 14 clone. I would be curious how the optics are and if the body is solid. Looks OK from the picture but it is just a picture. I always like to check out low cost alternatives. Who sells/makes the housing ?
View Quote

I haven't tried one, though I can't imagine it's a problem. Why they didn't just make a PVS-14, I don't know. It's entirely possible to make a PVS-14 outside of the US.

This my my own version of the PVS-14...

I call it the PVS-14/AU or AU/PVS-14 depending on how I feel that day. Anyway, it's an Australian PVS-14.

It looks a lot closer to the US style PVS-14 than the PBS-14 does. I use it to test-fit my helmet mounts as a physical part in the design process.

BTW, Having made one of these, to any anyone who suggests mounting a PVS-14 via the lock-ring for >5.56 rifles, take a look at how much material is missing from the weather-seal at the front of the housing where it joins the primary flange for the objective lens. There's a lot that can be done to improve the PVS-14 design, while maintaining the form factor and appearance. The above model even supports being made into a "Clip On", that is to say, it has the optical path adjustment that is necessary to boresight it - which actually benefits the PVS-14 as a monocular too ( because both eyes will align perfectly and results in zero eyestrain ).

Regards

David

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't think you have those numbers correct. The PVS-17 is a Riflescope. The PBS-14 is a PVS-14 clone... Nothing alike?

PVS-17
http://img01.militaryblog.jp/usr/flatairsoft/ELEC_NV_AN-PVS-17C_lg.jpg

PBS-14...

http://www.livioptik.com/img-prodotti/GSCI%20PBS14%20-1.jpg

Regards
David
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PVS-17
http://img01.militaryblog.jp/usr/flatairsoft/ELEC_NV_AN-PVS-17C_lg.jpg

PBS-14...

http://www.livioptik.com/img-prodotti/GSCI%20PBS14%20-1.jpg

Regards
David

Oops  Sorry  David Should have been  GSCI PBS-14 and PVS-14  . What a place to have a Typo.  Can we try that again??
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Tasbay,

I have one of the PBS-14's laying around right now. Good little monoculars. I think they answer the "I'd like a PVS-14 but I don't live in the US" type of request everyone has, but not perfectly. Takes standard 10160 Slim Anvis style tubes.

For the pros the unit largely looks like a PVS-14. It also utilizes the standard 1/4-20 screw mount and will accept a standard J-Arm or issued weapon mount. The objective lens is actually directly interchangable with the PVS-14 and can be used as a replacement lens for a PVS-14 (Or vice versa). It is of their own manufacture but the specifications are the same. The objective lens has the same threading so you can attach a screw on filter. There is a European/Russian Dovetail mount on the other side of the unit, giving you the option of using PVS-14 or MUM-14 style accessories. The coolest factor about the housing is the battery compartment; it runs off a AA or CR123 inserted in either polarity. Doesn't matter which way you put it in; the thing turns on.

Some downsides... Funny enough, the adapter that I have to utilize AA batteries doesn't fit 100% properly and leaves the battery compartment exposed to water when using it. I don't like using CR123's per say, so I made a very, very simple modification to weatherproof the battery adapter (electrical tape). The eye piece is not a PVS-14 eye piece and is mediocre. It gets the job done but I would have preferred a slightly bigger window. The objective lens locking ring is not to spec and will not accept any PVS-14 accessory that mounts there. The housings plastic threading leave something to be desired, but the screws holding the thing together go in deep enough where I don't believe it will fall apart under sustained recoil. I just avoid that all together and helmet mount it.

It's a good housing. Not great, but good. The rest of the civilian world is lacking mind blowing housings and this is a step in the right direction. The only universal deal breaker I can say for some people is that the built in IR Illuminator does a quick flash when you power the unit on. I have no idea why it does this. If you are in any sort of capacity where IR discipline is crucial then having a monocular that signals when you turn it on might not be the best solution.

I bought it. I'll be buying another one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Deltastone,  Thats the sort of run down on the unit I was looking for and especially from someone who has one. Guys down here are screaming for PVS-14 units. I can supply the PVS-7 but not the PVS-14 so was looking hard at the PBS-14.

Has your one got manuel gain?

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I know that feeling about the PVS-7. They are everywhere but a really good PVS-14 reproduction has been long overdue.

My unit doesn't have manual gain. I am just using the model without manual gain. I know there are some that have a manual gain knob, but I don't know if they accept 11769's with their ribbon cable or if it's for another type of manual gain connection I am unaware of. A 10160 will plug right in though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top