Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Let us know how it turns out.   Image quality is what has been keeping me from upgrading.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I was having an issue taking video.  If it went 2.5 minutes over over, every now and then it would freeze while recording.  Had to remove battery and power it up again to get anything to work.  Worst part was, it would corrupt the video and make it unviewable.

I contacted them about a month ago (maybe less) and explained the issue.  They suggested the new firmware stating that it should improve image quality and stop the freezing from happening.  It did improve the image quality a little and it hasn't frozen after that install.

What you see through it is a little better than what you see on recorded video, so keep that in mind.  Vid of critters in park near my house.  This was roughly 30yrds away and it's hot and humid at night here.

SideKick640 Searight Long Video of Dillo

Deer were a little further out and in the woods.

Sidekick640 Sidekick BuckTreeline

A different park more in the city.  Couple of hours after a rail storm.  Cooler weather, but a LOT more humidity.  I didn't realize it till afterwards, but there's a couple messing around in a hammock around 1:03 mark.

Sidekick640 Dick Nichols Park

I am looking forward to the fall/winter with cooler temps and lower humidity.

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 12:35:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TactileTitanium] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By javemtr:
I'm messing around with a dovetail adapter for the Sidekick. That will allow the use of any bridge with dovetail mounts like KVC/RQE, Wilcox, Noisefighters, ...
https://i.imgur.com/PoR05UO.jpeg
View Quote

This looks great, I will definitely support it if it gets listed on your site.

I ended pulling the trigger on a Sidekick 640 for a little over $2,500 during the Labor Day sale, which is about $200 less than what I picked up a Breach for back in 21.

The FOV is night and day. I don't feel the need to have to constantly pan back and forth to ensure something isn't creeping in just out of sight, it just feels like a natural view. I like the objective lens focus adjustments, you can see when it's dialed in when the small details suddenly appear (blades of grass, tree bark patterns).

After registering with Armasight I was able to update to the most recent firmware (5095 as of 3 SEP 24). When I got the device it was on firmware 5090, so like others have said Armasight is actively improving the device. The changes between when I first started using the thermal and two days later with the firmware update were noticeable (clearer video when panning/moving). I do not mind being a live Beta tester for a company working this hard to improve their device.

Popped a MOD Armory dovetail adaptor onto the MUM rail so I could use my Wilcox SKEET-IR modular bridge component and its IPD adjustment. I own the Wilcox MUM bridge which has a beautiful mini-rail coupling feature but is nearly unusable for thermals unless your IPD matches the bridge as-is. Wilcox is heavier but stable and rock solid. Running this on a Crye nightcap/IHPS and it's an easy wear.

All in all I like the Sidekick 640 and I know it is helping me see and detect further than anything else in my kit. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to start out in thermal for basic defense/protection, and for exploring the night safely.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top