Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2007 11:05:58 PM EDT
Have several Colt preban AR's from the late 80's early 90's that are more of a greyish black. Far different from the current black AR finish.
I like the look and don't want to refinish these at all. However, would like to build a couple of new uppers and refinish them in a similar color. I realize it wont be an exact match but what is closer to this color?

Have seen that Duracoat has a Colt grey and Norrells has a Colt greyish black.
Anyone tried either of these? Anything else?
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Norrells has a much better match, not only in color, but in the actual look and feel of the finish when it is dry.  Bear in mind that Colt ended up with a lot of different variants to their colors, but the Norrells is a good match to my 94 6721 lower, as well as my SP-1.

How well does the Norrells hold up as far as wear?
Am asking cause it would be on an M4 flattop upper that would have different optics from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The only other thing I'm considering is having it anodized by US Anodizing. Cost is about the same as Norrells and they have three color options for type III anodizing and one is listed as preban gray (SP1 & M16A1).
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Duracoat Colt grey.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#7]
About what 'vintage' is the Duracoat Colt gray?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top