Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2004 8:00:00 AM EDT
So I have a nice handy little Winchester 94 Carbine, and it's a great handy little rifle.  I've got a mind to take it hunting hogs with me.   The sights suck.   The trigger sucks.  

What are my options for sight replacements?   I'd like to keep it to iron sights

Anyone know of any information on sweetening up the trigger on the 94?  

(I'm at work and can't get to many sights, so I'm asking now, and I'll check 'em out when I get home)
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to have this sight on my 94:

Midway has them for $113.  Link.

It worked OK but I didn't like how the windage and elevation adjusted and the ring was a bit big (it is similar to the big A2 aperture).  It also broke up the clean lines of the rifle.  I eventually replaced mine with a 1-3x20mm scope.

If you want to buy mine, which is banged up but cheap and serviceable, IM me.  It is missing the mounting screws.

I know Lyman makes a aperture sight that screws on to the side of the rifle.

Midway has them for $62.  Link.  You will most likely have to get your receiver drilled and tapped.

As far as the trigger, see this link.  I would probably take it to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny that the first sight, although simpler costs almost twice as much as the Lyman.    I don't think I'd want to go that far.  The cost of the Lyman isn't bad, but then the drilling and tapping would be needed.  

Thanks for the link, I checked it out, and think I should be able to get the trigger group out and smooth it up a little bit.. but reading, it's only going to get a little better.  I guess it's just a compromise I have to make for this little rifle.  It's too bad, it's a neat, handy little rifle.  Would be nice with a good little aperture sight and a nicer trigger.  

Thanks for the info.  Let me know how much you'd take for that sight.  I'll have to see if I can get the screws.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Leave the sight alone.  

The 94 is best in bush/heavy wooded country were running shoots are the norm, and where the bullet will not ricochet off the slightest twig.  If you looking for something for open country/long range, then the 30-30 isn't the best choice since other calibers have a flatter trajectory.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the model I'm looking at for my Trapper.  No gunsmithing required.

Williams FP-94SE Receiver Peep Sight Winchester 94 Angle-Eject.  

Midway has them for about $56.

The only thing that's stopped me is that I like the original lines of the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Ashley Ghost Ring like this on my Winchester Trapper. It goes on in a couple of minutes by just using the existing rear scope mount screws. Its rock solid and works very well.

I've had the other, older receiver type sights on a couple of other Winchesters. The older guns are already drilled and tapped for them, the newer guns are not, at least my Trapper's werent and I had to have one done before the Ashley came along. These type sights do work and were the only game in town until Ashley came along. The Ashley, or now its successor, is really the only way to go if you want a fast, simple, and rugged sight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Leave the sight alone.  

The 94 is best in bush/heavy wooded country were running shoots are the norm, and where the bullet will not ricochet off the slightest twig.  If you looking for something for open country/long range, then the 30-30 isn't the best choice since other calibers have a flatter trajectory.

Well, it's not in .30-30, it's .357.    I'm going to do a few more things with it... I'll just say "tactical lever gun" and leave it to your imagination.   The sights will be changed.  

Hoppy, I was wondering about Williams sights, but didn't search much over at Midway.  I'll check out the one you posted.

AK103... the Ashley looks pretty good, and a nice big ring would fit well with the above description of what I'm going to do with the rifle... a big sight like that would provide quick target aquisition.

Thanks for posting guys!  Looks like I have a few options now!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I put a set of the XS ghost rings sights on my .357 16" Winchester 94 Trapper. They work WAY better than the stock sights (buckhorns suck!), both faster and more accurate

The sights I used are from XS, formally Ashley. LINK

Here's a pic of the rifle as it is now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/jgelner/Other/TRAPPER.jpg

Good luck, whatever you choose.

-LeadPumper
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Leadpumper... wow... that just looks... sexy...

Thanks for the link!  I like the sight.   Now, did you have to replace the front sight also?  

Say... do you have a larger size of that picture?  It just turns me on... I'm thinking background picture...
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My Trapper is in .45Colt. It didnt need the front sight replaced, which was good for me as its not a dovetailed sight  and would require gunsmithing. You can also get a blank that replaces the old rear sight . It just gets knocked into the dovetail where the sight used to be. Makes for a lot nicer sight picture.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Matthew_Q- Yup, I replaced the front sight as well, (fit into factory dovetail). The new XS sight has a white vertical stripe running up the middle of the blade. Makes it real easy to pick up, almost like a post.

Almost AR like; look through the rear aperture, put the top of the front post on target, squeeze the trigger.

Of course the trigger isn't exactly 'rifle' like. It's more like a double action revolver, (take up, take up, stack, stack, stack, BANG!)

But for bush work, a light trigger might get caught on something...

And yes, I have a larger file (690 KB) -LeadPumper
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Pumper, cool.  So from what I gather from that site you posted, you get the front post with the rear site?    

Couldja email me the file?  That picture is just... sexy...  :)  

([email protected])
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Email sent.

The set included (at the time I ordered it from Brownells) a rear aperture and front blade. But I can't find that part number on Brownells web site at the moment.

I'll check my files when I get home.

Have a Happy New Years All!

-LeadPumper
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, Pumper!  

I'll search Brownell's and see what I can find.  The $90 price on the site you linked is probably right around where Brownell's would have it anyway, IMO.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Tru-Glo or Hi-Viz (or both) make fiber optic sights for the M94.  If I can find one with sufficiently small dots, I plan to put some on a M94 Trapper and see how they work.

I have a set that came on a Gamo Shadow 1000 pellet rifle, and they are wonderful (Tru-Glo ones).

Just an idea...

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#15]
How well do those 94's work with the pistol calibers?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had .44mags and .45Colts and never had any trouble with them. I've heard others complain that the 94 wasnt meant for pistol rounds and the 92 is better, but mine have always worked well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#17]
My 94 functions fine with .357mag or .38spl.   I was even ringing a manshaped steel at 200 yards with some .38 spl.  Although I was having to use quite a bit of elevation and Kentucky windage.

It feeds fine, although the action is a little loose/sloppy, and the trigger is stiff.  But it is a handy little rifle.  Weighs maybe 5lb, points well, and recoil is negligible (at least in .357 Mag, even with full power pistol loads.  I haven't shot any heavier rifle loads)
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How well do those 94's work with the pistol calibers?

Mine is a 44 trapper.  It seems to function well, is as short and light as an M4 but thinner, and has 9 rounds in the magazine.  The muzzle energy is impressive - about the same as a 30/30.  The trajectory is pretty good.  It is a 150+ yard gun.  Most pistol calibers in a rifle don't really gain much in performance, but the magnums really gain a lot of velocity.  The trigger is actually not too bad - about the same as a stock AR.  I have not shot it enough to really know how accurate it is yet.

I want to use it as a truck & camping gun.  Cheaper than the AR and less likely to frighten sheeple and LEOs, it still has a lot of firepower.  I just hope that it is accurate enough for shooting varmints.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
To get the most out of the M94 Trapper or M1894 Marlin in .357Mag. and .44RemMag., you really need to reload for them, or find some factory ammo that is loaded with a slow (for pistols) powder like H110.

I use H110 loads in both .357Mag. and .44RemMag. trappers, and they are great guns.  My only recommendation when shooting them is that you try not to empty the guns as fast as is humanly possible.  The actions tend to fumble the rounds a little when you do that.  If you use a more normal lever speed, you won't have any problems...

And I agree with green-grizzly,  the M94 Trappers make wonderful sheeple/LEO warm and fuzzy assault weapons, plus they're a blast to shoot.  I use a .357Mag. one to shoot ground squirrels when I take a break from the .223Rem., .22WMR and .22LR.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Ftierson,

I found some load data for .357 out of a rifle, and it showed Alliant 2400 as a good powder getting great velocities.  I think the data showed that it could get a 158gr gas check or jacketed bullet to around 1800fps out of an 18.5" barrel.   Some of the slightly heavier bullets were close to those speeds, also.  

I just want to get better sights on that rifle.  It's a very handy little carbine, and I love it.  I'll have to work on the trigger a little.  I think it will end up being my truck/car/camp/hunting rifle.  But I still might do my 'tactical levergun' conversion, too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I found the package from XS that the sights came in. The XS part number is:

WI-0012-5
Winchester 94 Trapper
Ghost-Ring Aperture Set
191 & .230 GRA/.100W, w/o Ramp

It seems Brownells is no longer stocking these, but somebody else might be.

Good Luck.

-LeadPumper
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#22]
without a doubt...

go with AO tritium bead front sights...on a williams rear open sight that will drive into the jig of the existing old rear sight.

my winchesters have never shot so good..

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Pumper, I saw that on Brownells, too.   The XS site shows them available... $90 for the set.  I might have to give them a call.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I had an 'adventure in gunsmithing' last night!  

I removed the trigger group and disassembled to sweeten up the hammer and sear, and got it done.  It is a bit smoother and a little lighter on the pull.  There is still a ton of takeup, but that can't really be altered without some more serious modification.  

The MAJOR PITA was getting the hammer strut and spring back in.  Jeebus, it took me over an hour to get the thing back together, and I lost the pin that retains the hammer strut, so I cut a nail, and it works fine.

It wasn't a difficult mod to do, just reassembling the group was a pain.  I've always been good at dis/reassembling things, so I didn't have any hesitations about diving into it and working on it.  I would not recommend it to those that are not good with mechanical stuff or has little patience.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top