Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2009 4:15:57 PM EDT
Read in SWAT mag. of the Troy Industries AR  SBR with 7.5 inch barrel.........hmmm, instead of my using one of my AR's  - why not take my old Ruger Mini and SBR it and Voila, I have a piston SBR - put a folding stock with it and load one of my factory 30 rounders - add the Noveske Flaming Pig for back pressure and its GTG or is it?  

Any body got one and would you post a picture......Yes, I will also google and see what pops up...

I could see it being my truck gun for when I am knocking around the ranch or Bump in the Night Noises.....with an attached light, a' course
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Its sounds like a great blaster, just be aware that Ruger will not service your rifle without replacing the barrel and does not ship or sell replacement parts.

Others have gone down your path and been burned.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#2]

front sight will be an issue. you'll either have to remove and re-locate the original, or you can try digging up one of the AC556K front sights, but those are as rare as hen's teeth.

i like SBR'd mini's though. they look better, they handle better, and (provided the person re-working your barrel knows what they are doing) they ar more accurate with the shorter barrel.

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
SBR'ing a $100 ar lower is cheaper and gives you alot of flexibility
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
so, I had not thought about what Ruger would do.........Thought they were "lightening up" over there...........I made the ASSumption that I could find a barrel and cut that puppy down....As to the sight, I was going Red Dot....Yes, I assumed that I could do with what I had....Hmmm, methinks, I may just have to talk to a local gunsmith and get his opinion....Having a unique item is one thing but that sucka has to work when it needs to........Thanks to the replies.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe that the Mini-14 really shines as an SBR. A 13" barrel would be perfect. Just like the Ruger AC556.

The front sight is not a problem: You can go with a modified Masen Black Warrier Muzzle brake (cut of the brake off and keep the sight) or you can use the Arms Room gas block / front sight.

I used a modified Masen with an AK style front sight. Works great!
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, Walli ––––––––love the XS Big Dot front sight...........your cutdown looks good - do you have decent accuracy out to about 50 yards?  Looks like you kept your wooden factory stock - why not go with a folding one and a pistol grip for convience.....Seems to me doing a SBR Ruger give a more reliable weapon than the KelTec Plr....yes? no?

Last night I looked at AR Pistols, thinking IF the Ruger was a hassle, then that would work also......my wife finds the controls on the Ruger easier to "get in her head".....
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
yea minis look great when SBRd.
here is an AC556 (my most desired burst/full auto gun, cheap too compared to an m16) one with a collapsable stock

and i mean this just looks so good
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Mercdank –– interesting "handle".....love the picture of the bottom Ruger - looks really good at that angle.....is that a folding stock?....sweet looking with the steel and wood.....so, you have a full auto one also...that cost some bucks.....good job.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya, I am curious about that last pic posted also. Is that a side folder stock or not? I have never seen a Mini with a stock like that one that is not a side folder, does anybody know if they are made?
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
yes it is a factory folder

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top