Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2013 6:54:58 AM EDT
I have a MK12 MOD1 and am also doing a DD MK18 build that I will be ordering a suppressor for in the future.  I'm left handed and never really thought about how bad this could be with gas/carbon blowback..so, my question is for anyone who has shot one of these left handed.  Is it tolerable??  Gasbuster charging handle??

Thanks,

Alan
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't done it with a supressed Mk12 or Mk18 specifically, but I've fired suppressed AR's left handed. Only really bothered me when doing full-auto mag dumps.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no issues shooting left handed with my suppressor on it.  All I did was use a little of the gasket material on my Gunfighter Charging Handle and it works fine for me.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
A PRI gasbuster does not help.  It actually vents the gas right in the face of a lefty, just look at the design on the underside.  

I am a lefty, and have a 12" SBR with a 5.56 suppressor.  When I go to the range and shoot static, I hardly even notice it.

When I took it to a local carbine competition, I thought I was going to die.  As you are dynamically moving and shooting at a rapid pace across multiple targets, especially when advancing forward, breathing becomes critical and something that was VERY hard to do with a suppressed SBR.  I had issues with gas in my eyes, and mostly with the inability to take a deep breath.... choking on the gases.  Yes, it is an issue.  

I don't see how any lefty says it isn't.... but that's just me.  Note, this is only an issue with the suppressor attached.  When I take it off its no problem, just like any other AR.

I'll be investigating piston systems for my SBR, or playing with a switchblock type device.  Leaning toward piston, as those vent the gases way forward.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have no issues shooting left handed with my suppressor on it.  All I did was use a little of the gasket material on my Gunfighter Charging Handle and it works fine for me.

^ this,
plus i use adjustable gas blocks from paladin (low setting)
the blowback is just noticeable
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I run my Surefire Mini on a DD MK18 upper and BCM 11.5 upper with barely any blowback.   My uncle, who is a lefty barely noticed anything as well.  The biggest thing he noticed was the increase in gunpowder smell.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies...I guess I'll go ahead with the MK18 build...just wanted some opinions :)
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm kind of in the same boat.  My suppressor should be approved any day now, so I guess I will find out soon how bad the blowback is for us Lefties.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]
How much does an adjustable gas block help with this?? Also how about an H3 buffer too?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The main thing you'll be dealing with is blowback from the chamber.  Gasses trapped in the barrel get flung back at your face during extraction... extraction which is more violent than normal thanks to increased gas port pressures (unless you're running an adjustable upper, gas block, or gas tube).

This is my understanding as well.  Most of the blowback comes from the bolt unlocking early and the extra pressure forcing gas and carbon back from the chamber.

On my 11.5" I have an adjustable gas block and an H2 buffer.  And my suppressor is 7.62 on a 5.56 rifle.  I am hoping that this combination will be enough to mitigate the blowback.  But I will just have see when I get my stamp soon as there are just too many factors to really speculate about at this point.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Same for me

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you even put a low profile adjustable gas block on a DD MK18 upper??  Just wondering if anyone has done it and if it helped with gas blowback.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you even put a low profile adjustable gas block on a DD MK18 upper??  Just wondering if anyone has done it and if it helped with gas blowback.

I have a Syrac Adjustable Lo-Pro Gas Block and it fits under my MI Gen 2 Free Float 1-piece rail and I think it will fit under any standard quad rail.

Here is the blueprint/diagram:

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A PRI gasbuster does not help.  It actually vents the gas right in the face of a lefty, just look at the design on the underside.  

I am a lefty, and have a 12" SBR with a 5.56 suppressor.  When I go to the range and shoot static, I hardly even notice it.

When I took it to a local carbine competition, I thought I was going to die.  As you are dynamically moving and shooting at a rapid pace across multiple targets, especially when advancing forward, breathing becomes critical and something that was VERY hard to do with a suppressed SBR.  I had issues with gas in my eyes, and mostly with the inability to take a deep breath.... choking on the gases.  Yes, it is an issue.  

I don't see how any lefty says it isn't.... but that's just me.  Note, this is only an issue with the suppressor attached.  When I take it off its no problem, just like any other AR.

I'll be investigating piston systems for my SBR, or playing with a switchblock type device.  Leaning toward piston, as those vent the gases way forward.

I agree with this guy, but I'll add that I shoot my Sig 556 suppressed a lot, and the piston is BETTER, but not massivly better. Still a lof of gas coming back out of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Say hello to a stag left handed upper my friend.  While you can re-direct the gas from the charging handle and other exits... you can't change where the ejection port is unless you go stag left handed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is interesting, my experiences in using a suppressed rifle in competition use are totally opposite.

Although the main weapon has not been a DI operated one, but a HK416.

I am a lefty and if firing slow on the range, yes you can notice the gas quite easily.

However in anything that is more dynamic shooting, I really do not notice it.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#17]
From reading these threads over the years I was expecting the Gemtech Trek I got for my AR15 to be unbearable.  To be honest, I don't even notice.  The only time I think about it is when I get home, look in the mirror and the right side of my face is covered with blow back crap.  Just wearing ear plugs instead of big ear muffs that get in the way makes up for the fact that I get a little gas in my face.  Since I bought the Trek I never run unsurpressed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I get more gas from my SBRs than I do my 20" rifles, regardless of which shoulder I shoot from.  I don't use gas busters or RTV, just eye pro and try not to breath as much.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
From reading these threads over the years I was expecting the Gemtech Trek I got for my AR15 to be unbearable.  To be honest, I don't even notice.  The only time I think about it is when I get home, look in the mirror and the right side of my face is covered with blow back crap.  Just wearing ear plugs instead of big ear muffs that get in the way makes up for the fact that I get a little gas in my face.  Since I bought the Trek I never run unsurpressed.

Agreed...I've had several people shoot my Surefire on my MK18 and BCM 11.5 and not a single one has even noticed the blowback until I point it out.  Only thing any of them have noticed is the extra smell
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed...I've had several people shoot my Surefire on my MK18 and BCM 11.5 and not a single one has even noticed the blowback until I point it out.  Only thing any of them have noticed is the extra smell

Rapid fire?  10 targets each with a double tap in less than 10 seconds, then run to another 10 targets and repeat?  That's where it's trouble for me.

Shooting at a static target at a range?  Who cares.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rapid fire?  10 targets each with a double tap in less than 10 seconds, then run to another 10 targets and repeat?  That's where it's trouble for me.

Shooting at a static target at a range?  Who cares.

I will try some run and gun as you suggested and see if I notice the smoke.  Would a piston driven system leave more smoke up front and create less blow back to the shooter?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would a piston driven system leave more smoke up front and create less blow back to the shooter?  

Yes.  None of the DI gas will be directed at the shooter.  The chamber pressure will still be present, but with slower unlocking this is potentially less as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

went thru the same issues with my SBR build (11.5").  I eventually built a custom left hand ejecting piston (AA) host for my AAC 762SD.  I use the rifle for 3gun competition and am very happy with it.  

fatkid
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]
^^^hmmmm, never seen that one before. I cannot use the switchblock with my rail. I am still getting 1-oclock ejection with a blue spring and T2 buffer. that might be another option.

I got a LOTTTT of blowback into my left eye and concussion when I first shot my rifles with my can (10.5'' and 16'' AR's) I went to heavier spring, and I founf the WeaponOutfitters Forward Assist gas deflector at the saem time. I wanted to try it and that thing is AWESOME. like totally awesome. fully recommend
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Fully recommend for a lefty? Have to check it out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#28]
yes, its quite comfy. its pricey and it works.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 on the micro moa. I have 2 of them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#30]
just shot another 80rnds through my 10.5 pistol yesterday. last round is about the only time I feel any blast as the bolt stays back and lets gas out.

I'm running a sprinco red and an ST-T2 buffer. with and without a can it's 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top