Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2013 12:36:42 PM EDT
I am working on building 8.5" 300BLK SBRs.  Trying to decide if I should go with an over the suppressor handguard or go for a shorter and thinner rail.  I am not in a hurry to complete this project as prices will be better in a few more months and I am still waiting on YHM to produce the LT or LTA suppressor.  

This rifle will primarily be a range toy and I don't see myself shooting it unsuppressed.  My main concerns with putting the suppressor under the rail is heat and added weight.  I like the idea of longer sight radius, longer grip range (until the suppressor heats up) and shroud around the suppressor in case of unintended contact.

Please let me know what your experience has been with suppressors inside and outside handguards and what you found to work better, thank you!
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't taken the shrouded route, but I do know that it can make QD type cans difficult to remove. Not a big deal if you plan to never take the suppressor off and/or dedicate that suppressor ONLY to that host.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Not having the latch is one of the reasons I am waiting on the LT/LTA instead of the SDN-6.  That and the large cost difference in the suppressor and mounts.  I have seen someone cut a support piece out of a BAR to allow access to the latch under the rail.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are never shooting it unsuppressed then I like the under the rail look. I wouldn't do it on a .223 can due to the heat. I'm not sure if a .300 will generate as much heat shooting subs. There are a couple rails that might allow you access to the tab to remove the suppressor. I have one SBR that is 9mm where the can is buried deep into the rail, but I don't expect heat to be much of an issue, though I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I put one under a PRI once. It gets warm. I sold it.

Good setup for a house gun, not for a lot of shooting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are never shooting it unsuppressed then I like the under the rail look. I wouldn't do it on a .223 can due to the heat. I'm not sure if a .300 will generate as much heat shooting subs. There are a couple rails that might allow you access to the tab to remove the suppressor. I have one SBR that is 9mm where the can is buried deep into the rail, but I don't expect heat to be much of an issue, though I could be wrong.

Shooting sub 300 in my 8.5"/N6 stays way cooler than supersonic. I would imagine a shrouded 300 would be very doable if mostly shooting subs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Shrouded is awesome on 300blk!
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I would rather have access to be able to clean the mount without removing the entire rail.

Also, on my rifle can I use a silicone sleeve, which offers much more thermal protection from a hot can than an aluminum hand guard would.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've got a YHM Wraith XL under a rail on 5.5 inch barrel and have no problems with heat.    147s in this SBR = smile machine
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#9]
.22 Sparrow under BAR Rail

YHM Stainless 5.56 under BAR Rail

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
9.5" 300 blackout barrel with YHM Phantom QD SS uner Midwest Industries 15" rail. I only shoot subs and dont notice much heat build up, I also dont blast away. I keep my hands on the XT panels, not foreward on the ladder covers as that is the end of the barrel in case of an accidental kaboom. I do like the extended sight radius and shrouded look, mostly why I built it this way.

My dust cover is also laser engraved with ".300 AAC Blackout" as a safety precaution. I recomend that with all non-standard uppers.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]
It's personal preference, but in my opinion it's a bad setup. It adds weight, retains more heat, and it puts your hand in front of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
it puts your hand in front of the muzzle.

That is important. Depends on the can too. A baffle strike in a Surefire will still put the can out the end but in a can with an assymetrical baffle stack it will pop out the side.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top