Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2016 2:48:20 AM EDT
I want something light in 30 cal that can do a 12.5" 308.  I really like the thunderbeast 100% titanius fully welded cans ultralight, whatever they are called, but they are rated for 14.5."

What would be the next best thing.  This would not need to be full auto rated or whatever, I don't do 308 mag dumps.  I'm just looking for something that doesn't add too much weight and throw off the balance.  Thx.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Dead Air is a little heavier but has no minimum barrel length restrictions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The Rugged Razor would be worth a look.  Short and light.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The Reece 7 is rated for that short of barrel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors/brevis-7-62mm-suppressors/brevisr-ii-ultra-7-62-nato-rifle-suppressor.html
10oz
I spoke with the sale rep and he said it was rated for full auto and SBR. (Call and double check, this was like 2 years ago) I was planning to put one on a SCAR 17S at one point but between the base price of gun, this suppressor and everything else it was just way to pricey for a plinking rifle. Ended up building a AR10 from with spare parts and put a Silencerco Harvester on. FWIW I have the Brevis II Ultra 5.56 and its an amazing suppressor and im sure this one is as well, but the price is pretty high considering the next lightest 7.62 suppressors are only 2 oz heavier. Is it work paying $1,000+ to save 2 oz? Thats your call.

The Sportsman DT only has a barrel length restriction for 300 win mag. 11.9 oz
http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-sportsman-dt.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Reece 7 is rated for that short of barrel.
View Quote

it is 7.6" long, a little longer than I would like, plus it is 17.5 oz, not much of an  improvement over what I have
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep, short and pretty light, 15.3 oz,specially considering that it is all steel.

Would that mount on a griffin miminalst taper or is the mount proprietary?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors/brevis-7-62mm-suppressors/brevisr-ii-ultra-7-62-nato-rifle-suppressor.html
10oz
I spoke with the sale rep and he said it was rated for full auto and SBR. (Call and double check, this was like 2 years ago) I was planning to put one on a SCAR 17S at one point but between the base price of gun, this suppressor and everything else it was just way to pricey for a plinking rifle. Ended up building a AR10 from with spare parts and put a Silencerco Harvester on. FWIW I have the Brevis II Ultra 5.56 and its an amazing suppressor and im sure this one is as well, but the price is pretty high considering the next lightest 7.62 suppressors are only 2 oz heavier. Is it work paying $1,000+ to save 2 oz? Thats your call.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-sportsman-dt.html
View Quote

I like that sportsman.  Would be great for a guy out hunting.  I also like how that could mount on the griffin 1 oz Ti minimilist brake taper mount.  But a little long.

That delta design can is awfully expensive.    How is it that it has no threading or welding in it?  It is made of two types of metal,it is not like they EDMd its inisides out from a solid peice of Ti??
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

yep, short and pretty light, 15.3 oz,specially considering that it is all steel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the tube is 17-4 steel. The stack is made entirely from Stellite, which is denser than inconel, which is denser than steel. Awesome construction.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#13]

I don't see it listen any more on their site, or manye it is too new.  Interseting that is the first sverabel unit

ETA: it is just coming out, just hitting distributors as of now, it is ~7 5/8" long, so shorter than the typical 9" lenght for a 30 cal can.   Mounted it can be as little as 15.5" if you buy the titanium minimilst mount, which is lighter in total than the YHM Lightweight Tactical can of similar length but which is heavier in total w/ its 4.9 oz mount...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]

is that a development of the tornoda tech stubby or whatever?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]

When can we expect to see this? Works with current taper mounts? Barrel restrictions for 5.56/7.62x39/300blk/6.8?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I like that sportsman.  Would be great for a guy out hunting.  I also like how that could mount on the griffin 1 oz Ti minimilist brake taper mount.  But a little long.

That delta design can is awfully expensive.    How is it that it has no threading or welding in it?  It is made of two types of metal,it is not like they EDMd its inisides out from a solid peice of Ti??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10oz

I believe they use a method of 3D printing and can switch between materials based on where they are in the printing process (I dont work there so dont quote me on this). Its expensive but you are pay for brand new technology, at least in the suppressor world. The big names haven't even touched this concept and until they do they will likely remain very pricey. There isnt a lot of info out there on the company or their products as they are fairly new but I can vouch that they are not selling snake oil, their products are the real deal.

There are def other ways to save weight on a rifle that are far more cost effective, such as a pencil short barrel, minimalist stocks, micro sights, skeleton rails, lightweight parts from companies like V7 but at some point you hit a wall and either you say a 12 oz suppressor is light enough or if are lucky enough that money is not an obstacle then you get the suppressor thats worth more than the gun itself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#17]
^ not worth more than your gun. We know you have a happy switch
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#18]
i'm not sure how the sdn-6 figures into the weight/length vs the other 30 cal cans out now and i don't believe it's rated for that short of a 308 barrel but mine works great on my 12.5" barreled 308
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i'm not sure how the sdn-6 figures into the weight/length vs the other 30 cal cans out now and i don't believe it's rated for that short of a 308 barrel but mine works great on my 12.5" barreled 308
View Quote

SDN-6 is rated down to 10" barrels
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I believe they use a method of 3D printing and can switch between materials based on where they are in the printing process (I dont work there so dont quote me on this). Its expensive but you are pay for brand new technology, at least in the suppressor world. The big names haven't even touched this concept and until they do they will likely remain very pricey. There isnt a lot of info out there on the company or their products as they are fairly new but I can vouch that they are not selling snake oil, their products are the real deal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
10oz

:O

Whoa, seamless 3d printing of different materials!?!  BADASS AS FUCK!

Maybe someone should jus 3d print all the non moving parts of a rifle in seamless unit as a test of concept...
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 oz .  Yucky
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe someone should jus 3d print all the non moving parts of a rifle in seamless unit as a test of concept...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That would be pretty intense but would kill the whole modularity concept that makes rifles like the AR15 so popular.

Quoted:
^ not worth more than your gun. We know you have a happy switch

True, but I have far more firearms built with used parts pulled from bargain bin at gun shows than I do with happy switch and fancy 3D printed parts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proprietary.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the SDN-6 was rated for 12" for 308.  Either way, I have one and it is a tad on the heavy side.  Wonderful can, but not a flyweight.  If I was looking for a lightweight can to use on a 308 SBR I would be buying a Rugged Razor.  I wound up buying a Rugged Surge (longer and heavier than the Razor but quieter) but I'm still playing with the idea of buying a Razor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought the SDN-6 was rated for 12" for 308.  Either way, I have one and it is a tad on the heavy side.  Wonderful can, but not a flyweight.  If I was looking for a lightweight can to use on a 308 SBR I would be buying a Rugged Razor.  I wound up buying a Rugged Surge (longer and heavier than the Razor but quieter) but I'm still playing with the idea of buying a Razor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/Warranty-Information_ep_50-1.html
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Proprietary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proprietary.

They replied to my query, the razor on their 30 cal mount totals to 17.9 oz, again not really worth it...  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That would be pretty intense but would kill the whole modularity concept that makes rifles like the AR15 so popular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  But a wholly 3D printed rifle that was just one piece sans the bolt, magazine  etc would be just be cool as fuck as a "conversation piece," but not for practical mass production or marked ability.  It would just be cool like not having all the fasteners and little parts to retain the fasteners etc.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorta thinking about the griffin sportsman, on the 1 oz minimalist Ti mount it would only be 12.9 oz mounted.  

The To brake mount serves as two sacrificial baffles, the rest are thick coated 7075 aluminium.  Not for high ROF still, I think they said 6 rpm of 300 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Griffin got back to me promptly, the sportsman is only rated down to a 16" 308.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/Warranty-Information_ep_50-1.html

Duly noted, thank you for the link.  I must've imagined that 12" thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 3:07:58 AM EDT
[#31]

When will this be availible??  It look to be rather light and would fit on the 1oz Ti mimilist taper mount.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#32]
other suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
other suggestions?
View Quote

If you want a really light .30 Cal can then get a Titanium can.  I have the YHM .30Cal titanium can and I really like it and it is rated down to 10.5" barrels and 8" in .300blk.  Also they have a black titanium version now which is really cool.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#34]
^Yep, looks to be the lightest 308 can rated to my barrel length, even less actually, down to 10.5".  But their mounts are rather large and bulky.  I am waiting to hear back from them what their new brake and FH mounts weigh so I know what the total weight on the muzzle would be.

Dead air has a short version of their steel full length can and a Ti version of their full length can but not a short Ti version of it.    It would follow that they would make one but they said maybe someday, not that it would be out in "two weeks" so I guess I won't hold my breath.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#35]
There are only two cans I'd recommend for that short of a .308 barrel.  The Rugged Razor and the Dead Air Sandman -S.  Full disclosure, I'm the designer on the -S so I know it's not marketing hype.  

Be super careful of anything on the super light side for this application.  Lot's of manufacturers state that their suppressor will handle it, but fewer have really tested it.  Fewer still have accounted for the difference between design and what's manufactured.  By that I mean a perfectly built suppressor might handle it (like when the mfr. first tested it under ideal conditions) vs. what get's built later when manufacturing variation sets in (like the welder not hitting the joint between baffle and spacer perfectly).  The really lightweight suppressors out there often have close to zero safety factor built in when you get to the SBR side of things.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you want a really light .30 Cal can then get a Titanium can.  I have the YHM .30Cal titanium can and I really like it and it is rated down to 10.5" barrels and 8" in .300blk.  Also they have a black titanium version now which is really cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
other suggestions?

they replied to my query and informed me that the brake and FH mounts are both 4.9 oz... so this can, w/ the mount, is definitely on the heavy side unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a company called Crux suppressors, formerly templar tactical that has a 6" 30 cal Ti can that is
10 oz, not including the mount, and is rated down to this barrel length or less.  

I guess they had a guy fall asleep at the engraving machine, it went too deep and the had a bunch of main gives fail but that issues is resolved now
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#38]
after the 3d printed direct thread deltaP stubby, the next lightest kin is a 1.5 inch 6 inch long titanium brake mounted can by crux.  the break weighs 3.8 ounces and the Can weighs 10 ounces. Their 7.5 inch  can is 12.2 ounces. So it is a pound mounted.

that Griffin ALPHA on the one ounce minimalist titanium brake mount would total at 15.5 ounces making it the lightest seven and a half inch 30 caliber suppressorbut I believe you would have to pay extra for the titanium version of the mount.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Well I put in for the griffin alpha.  W the Ti minimalist mount it is the lightest 7.5" can rated for 308 SBR I could find.  Thought about getting the 6" crux which would have been a little less mounted but I fear that may be too short.  The delta p can was tempting but too much $$
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top