Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2009 5:51:18 PM EDT
What's your opinion on the AR57?

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Well if you can't afford a PS90 and already have an AR its a pretty good alternative for getting into the 5.7x28mm carbine family.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 4:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I love mine.  Never liked the PS90 as it is just too small and crampt for my large framed body.  I have a Five-seveN pistol so it is fun to have a long gun in the same caliber.  I have the SBR upper and when suppressed this thing is wisper quiet with zero flash and zero recoil.  Now I have three calibers (5.56, 6.8 SPC & 5.7x28) for my AR lowers and increasing.  What caliber next?  458 SOCOM?

ETA: The reason I have a 30 round AR mag inserted is for a brass catcher.  It is a gutter and modified (no spring or follower & feed lips cut off) Orlite and holds about 70 empty 5.7 casings)

Dog

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 4:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love mine.  Never liked the PS90 as it is just too small and crampt for my large framed body.  I have a Five-seveN pistol so it is fun to have a long gun in the same caliber.  I have the SBR upper and when suppressed this thing is wisper quiet with zero flash and zero recoil.  Now I have three calibers (5.56, 6.8 SPC & 5.7x28) for my AR lowers and increasing.  What caliber next?  458 SOCOM?

ETA: The reason I have a 30 round AR mag inserted is for a brass catcher.  It is a gutter and modified (no spring or follower & feed lips cut off) Orlite and holds about 70 empty 5.7 casings)

Dog

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1324/bugoutkit004ws2.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1189/bugoutkit006lt6.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/235/bugoutkit012wo0.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5675/bugoutkit015fv2.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1178/bugoutkit014zp2.jpg

How is function? feeds and ejects ok?
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Function has been 100% both feeding and ejection from the first round.  I only have about 800 rounds through it so far but I don't forsee any problems.  POI is pretty much the same suppressed and unsurpressed.

Dog
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Function has been 100% both feeding and ejection from the first round.  I only have about 800 rounds through it so far but I don't forsee any problems.  POI is pretty much the same suppressed and unsurpressed.

Dog

Good, waiting for mine.              
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#6]
rrw yy6
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#7]
SelectFire:  Translation???

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
That's pretty clever to use an empty mag for an empty shell collector!

I think these uppers are cool, I'd like them better with less rails though to save weight.  The side rails are completely useless to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Save weight?  If the side rails were milled off or were never on in the first place you would save all of about 3 oz.  Big wiff.  Most of the wight comes from the heavy profile bull barrel.  If you want light I would suggest waiting for the flutted barrel to come out.  The 6" of barrel I had cut off made a big difference.

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Save weight?  If the side rails were milled off or were never on in the first place you would save all of about 3 oz.  Big wiff.  Most of the wight comes from the heavy profile bull barrel.  If you want light I would suggest waiting for the flutted barrel to come out.  The 6" of barrel I had cut off made a big difference.

MadDog

I don't know, it just seems like it would probably weigh less if it had smooth sides.  But everyone wants rails...rails on their rails even.  I suppose it helped them build it faster without having to come up with handguards for it.

Regardless of my gripes, it's still pretty sweet looking.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine, and it is a great shooter.  Not much love for a fullsize scope as magazine loads from the top, but a compact scope works well.  Great little coyote rifle, and you can shoot all day (and night)
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Just don't get the point of it... The 5.7 round makes a cool pistol, an interesting PDW when SBRd but the civi available ammo only from once source is sorta questionable, and you end up with a full size AR platform with only a portion of the ARs 5.56 ballistics.  

In the PS90 it makes sense, but I saw the 5.7 upper on the wall of my local Fun shop today and I was left wondering what the appeal would be, why one would seek out this caliber to shoot in anything other than a PS90 or 5.7 pistol seems odd to me.  $60-70 magazines, etc...  

Yeah I just don't see the appeal.

Though I would apply this viewpoint to a 9mm AR as well...  Just doesn't make sense.

Well I suppose if they were SBRd the AR 5.7 or 9mm makes some sense I guess, maybe i am just missing something.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#13]
for you owners on the ejection  In the FN Fourms owners of the PS90 have seen major wear on the inner area where the empty ejects.  If I remember reading an owner had seen gouges and wear after as little of 200 rounds now since the round ejects from the magazine well of the AR lower will the empty brass bang up your receiver and cause damage??

Example from a PS90

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Not if you use a 30 round AR mag as a brass catcher.  I modified some cheap plastic Orlite mags buy cutting off the feed lips and removing the spring and follower.  The body of the mag goes all the way up to the top of the lower when inserted therefore no part of the mag well is exposed.

Dog
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#15]
MadDog, I love the hollow mag brass catcher almost as much as I love your DR'd FsN!

BTW, I have heard of some quality controll issues with the throat of the 57AR upper.  Different stories from brass not ejecting to brass getting badly deformed and non-reloadable.

I would go with the PS90 given the choice... But that is just me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I had the choice of getting a PS90 and then paying to have it SBR'd and then paying for a tax stamp or getting the AR57 and cutting it down for much less because I already had an SBR lower.  The PS90 is just too damn small for me to shoot comfortably.  The AR57 is perfect as is my 7.5" AR.  If you don't use a brass catcher then the case mouthes are perfectly round.  If you do use the brass catcher then as it starts to fill up some of the case mouths will dent badly on each other.  I turn in my brass to a friend for a discount on new ammo so it doesn't make a difference to me.

Dog
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top