Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/8/2010 7:28:53 PM EDT
Per a recent post at the Five-seveN forum, Savage Arms is developing two rifles chambered in 5.7x28mm:

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9217
http://www.thegunsource.com/item/500158_Savage_Arms_Rifles_Shotguns_Savage_19158_25_Walking_Varminter_5_7X28_24_BBL_Sy.aspx

Another company, Excel Arms, also announced last week that they are developing four firearms in 5.7x28mm (those are pictured below):

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=9132

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats cool!
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Arent the Excel guns crappy???
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The ammo isn't that great either.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Unfortunately the consensus was different at Fort Hood.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dear God that was tasteless.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very tasteless.

And it is crappy ammo for defense work, but just fine for targets or varmints (unless you pay a premium for Elite Ammo).

Had the terrorist at Ft Hood been using a real caliber, it would have been worse.

Have you even read the list of injuries and how many times victims were shot?

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not meant to be tasteless at all, just stating a fact. The round kills, pure and simple. Using the Fort Hood indecent as a proven fact is no different than using countless other shootings to justify the efficiency of any other caliber out there. How do you think a certain caliber is rated at being an efficient man stopper?  

Not through the use of ballistic gels but by actual documented shooting occurrences. Making a reference to the Foot Hood shooting was no different and in no way demeaning to the ones who lost their lives there. I was just stating a fact.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Very tasteless.

And it is crappy ammo for defense work, but just fine for targets or varmints (unless you pay a premium for Elite Ammo).
Had the terrorist at Ft Hood been using a real caliber, it would have been worse.

You mean it would have been worse using a real caliber like 9mm? Haven't agencies changed from 9mm to 45acp due to targets taking multiple hits from 9mm before going down?

This argument over which caliber is better can go on forever and I'm sure we all agree it's all about shot placement anyhow. I mean a man can be killed from a shot in the head from a 22lr the same as he could be killed from a shot in the head from a 50bmg. But to say the 5.7x28 round is crappy has no merit and is generaly talked down by people who have never shot the caliber and has no experience with it at all.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
A 40g varmint bullet at 1800fps is still a 40g varmint bullet.

ETA: i don't usually carry anything smaller than a .45 or 10mm, but that's just me...  I do have a tiny 9mm for hot days...

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But that doesn't mean it's any less lethal when shot with it.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot a fat guy with a 5.7, and it won't make it to muscle, the penetration's just not there...

Like you said, shot placement is the ultimate answer, but i like my margin of error to be as big as possible if my life depends on it...

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot a fat guy with a 5.7, and it won't make it to muscle, the penetration's just not there...

He better hope he has at least 9" of fat between the bullet and his heart then.

Cartridge : SS195 FMJ and SS197 ballistic tip

Firearm : FN PS90 rifle and FN 5.7 (5.7x28mm) pistol

Block calibration : Depths corrected where noted (From 9.4cm @ 587 ft/sec)

The SS195 and SS197 cartridges were tested from both a 5.7x28mm rifle and handgun against bare gelatin and heavily-clothed gelatin (4 layers of 14.1 ounce denim fabric) at 10' distance.

Shot 1 - FN PS90 firing SS197 at bare gelatin. Shot impacted at 2054 ft/sec, penetrated to 9.6" (corrected) and was recovered at 26.9gr weight and
0.373" average diameter.

Shot 2 - FN PS90 firing SS197 at heavy clothing. Shot impacted at 2063 ft/sec, penetrated to 9.2" (corrected) and was recovered at 23.2gr weight and 0.352" average diameter. Please note that the maximum penetration depth was for a small bullet fragment - the major part of the bullet penetrated to 9.0" depth (corrected).

Shot 3 - FN 5.7 firing SS197 at heavy clothing. Shot impacted at 1932 ft/sec, penetrated to 10.6" (corrected) and was recovered at 25.8gr weight and 0.312" average diameter.

Shot 4 - FN PS90 firing SS195 at heavy clothing. Shot impacted at 2128 ft/sec, penetrated to 9.9". Bullet tumbled at 1.2" penetration and righted itself at ~ 5.6" depth. Bullet recovered in one piece at 27.8gr weight.

Shot 5 - FN 5.7 firing SS195 at heavy clothing. Shot impacted at 1999 ft/sec, penetrated to 9.3" depth with total core/jacket separation. Bullet tumbled at ~ 4.0" penetration and the core and jacket separated tracks at ~ 6.7" depth.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

He better hope he has at least 9" of fat between the bullet and his heart then.

I prefer something that makes a somewhat bigger hole and goes a lot deeper...

What does the 5.7 vmax do when it hits bone (ribs, sternum, skull, etc)

Now projectiles like the EA Protector and Exterminator(TSX) make better sense for self defense, at least to me...

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I never said it was a superior caliber, I just said it wasn't ineffective when it came to killing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgXK8SOpvpc&feature=related
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many were shot and survived? You can injure a lot of people with .22lr. Color me unimpressed with the 5.7.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How many were shot and survived? You can injure a lot of people with .22lr. Color me unimpressed with the 5.7.

How many people through the years have been shot with a 9mm, 40cal, 45acp and survived?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok we've derailed this thread enough....
I have nothing against the caliber for what it is, but the two commercial loadings available limit it to varmints or paper punching in my opinion.

Most likely, that's what the weapons shown above are intended for, and hopefully consumers realize this.

Also, i'd be curious to see if these new guns price themselves out of the "Cheap 5.7" market compared to something like the AR57 with P90 mags, which is somewhere in the middle...

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How many people through the years have been shot with a 9mm, 40cal, 45acp and survived?

it's the ratio that matters. How many were killed vs. survived.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#19]
a 5.7x28mm Savage will replace my 17HMR Savage. Zero recoil, cheaper for a reloader like myself, and similar velocities with a heavier bullet.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like you said, shot placement is the ultimate answer, but i like my margin of error to be as big as possible if my life depends on it...

But a guy fat enough to pose a penetration problem will be moving slow enough that you an take a head shot
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The ratio differs from situation to situation. It all depends on the shooter and shot placement regardless of caliber. You can't say a certain caliber is no good based on a situation were 10 people were shot, 8 or them survived due to being hit in the arms as opposed to 2 died because of head shots. That would be the case whether is was the 5.7 or 45acp.

Line 10 people up and shoot each one in the head with any caliber and see what the ratio is. It still doesn't tell you much.

Like I said, I'm not bashing anyone's favorite caliber, I'm not saying the 5.7 is better than anything else out there, I was simply saying it's not an ineffective caliber.

But like RDTCU said, we've derailed this thread enough.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

a 5.7x28mm Savage will replace my 17HMR Savage. Zero recoil, cheaper for a reloader like myself, and similar velocities with a heavier bullet.

Just don't buy used P90/PS90 brass for your reloading

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You cannot possibly come to an accurate conclusion by simply looking at the ratio of dead to wounded. Nearly 20 people were shot in the North Hollywood bank shootout (mostly with 7.62x39mm) and they all survived.

Quoted:
The massive number of deaths in the Virginia Tech massacre is due to the fact that, per news reports, 31 of the 33 victims were executed with shots to the head at very close range.

The Fort Hood shooter simply sprayed bullets randomly into a group of soldiers. Almost all of the victims were hit in extremities or took grazing shots, again per news reports, and the victims inside the building received medical attention before Hasan's shootout with police officers was even finished outside.

Either of these factors (shot placement/medical response) has an infinitely larger effect on an incident of this sort than does the miniscule size difference between one tiny pistol bullet (5.7mm) and another tiny pistol bullet (9mm, etc). It is juvenile to expect an outcome any different with any pistol caliber. The shooter himself was hit 5 times with 9mm and survived.

Quoted:
There are numerous loads in 5.7x28mm that penetrate 12+ inches in ballistic gelatin. Even FN's factory V-Max (from the pistol) stops just short of penetrating 11 inches.

Quoted:
What does the 5.7 vmax do when it hits bone (ribs, sternum, skull, etc)
According to the female police officer on her blog, her femur was "blown into hundreds of bone fragments that were pushed into muscle tissue." She said she also underwent a knee replacement and she won't be able to continue as a street patrol officer. Prior to surgery, doctors feared she would lose her leg.

http://sgtmunley.blogspot.com/2009/12/sgt-munley.html

This is not to say that I prefer a loading with a V-Max projectile (if given a choice), but the difference is being dramatically overstated. Either way, EA is actually in the process of redesigning their V-Max loading (Protector) to use a different projectile type with a heavier weight.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ETA: i don't usually carry anything smaller than a .45 or 10mm, but that's just me...  I do have a tiny 9mm for hot days...

Oh the irony considering that you've got an anemic .223 in your avatar!

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh the irony considering that you've got an anemic .223 in your avatar!

haha, not my first choice for self defense either (at least not in a 10" bufferless pistol)... (I've got one 90% done in 6.8 as well, it will be a folding SBR)

But i'll take an expanding 75g round at 2500FPS over a 40g varmint round at 1800fps any day if i'm trying to make an impression...

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#26]
They dont look too bad.
Too bad people have to come here just to crap on the 5.7.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you say that? I bought plenty of mixed 5.7 brass for my Five-seveN. Out of the 700 I have loaded so far, I have only had one problem and that was a neck separation.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you say that? I bought plenty of mixed 5.7 brass for my Five-seveN. Out of the 700 I have loaded so far, I have only had one problem and that was a neck separation.

Rapid/fullauto fire leads to a lot of these from bolt bounce/OOB discharge:

AR57's are the worst about it, but i've seen similar results in PS90's after a day of blasting...  Not all that common, but it does happen

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind the shooter was a pogue.  Using one incident, with a shooter who is in all likelihood a poor shot, to malign the cartridge is a poor way to make a point.

Personally I'd take a .45 to a gunfight, but I've seen some pretty impressive AARs on the 5.7 too.  I think it's a bit early to definitively state anything about the cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#30]

I love how any time someone whispers something about 5.7 this same argument starts up. Tell you what, if it's such a pussy round, someone volunteer their tough ass to stand in the corner and let someone shoot just one round at them and lets see how fast they go down
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#31]
This went downhill pretty fast. I want to know more about the company's rep.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 2:18:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just to chime in before someone locks the thread, my comment was aimed primarily at the cartridge design and ballistics. Even out of a 16" barrel, its trajectory makes it less viable beyond 200m. In addition, there were some comments about feeding issues when reloading the cartridge for the P90 magazines because of the coating they used on the cases.
The cartridges cost as much as 5.56/.223 at today's prices but they have a reduced effective range. Firing it out of a PS90, the felt recoil and muzzle report is comparable to .22LR - not exactly exciting at 40 cents or more per pop. I just don't see the point in selling a bunch of conversions/new firearms to use 5.7x28

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 3:04:39 AM EDT
[#33]
It looks like the Excel guns are feeding from M1 Carbine mags, kind of like a modern 5.7 MMJ (Johnson).
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what the hell does this have to do with anything?

OP:  "HEY GUIZ FN 5.7x28?"

NONMEMBERMOUTHBREATHER: DERP DERP DERP FROT HOOD DERP HERP

Back on topic,  saw the excel arms info yesterday when looking at their .22LR options.  I'm happy that others are picking up this round.  It has a lot of potential.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Back on topic,  saw the excel arms info yesterday when looking at their .22LR options.  I'm happy that others are picking up this round.  It has a lot of potential.

I guess that goes to show that just because you're a payed member it doesn't mean you have reading comprehension skills.

TAC1975:  Unfortunately the consensus was different at Fort Hood.  

DuhTSX:Uh um I don't get it.

So I'll break it down for you, the caliber seems to be effective at what it was designed to do same as most other calibers.

Hope this helps you understand a little more of what I meant. Reading really is fundamental.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Very tasteless.

You mean it would have been worse using a real caliber like 9mm? Haven't agencies changed from 9mm to 45acp due to targets taking multiple hits from 9mm before going down?

This argument over which caliber is better can go on forever and I'm sure we all agree it's all about shot placement anyhow. I mean a man can be killed from a shot in the head from a 22lr the same as he could be killed from a shot in the head from a 50bmg. But to say the 5.7x28 round is crappy has no merit and is generaly talked down by people who have never shot the caliber and has no experience with it at all.

It's an over priced piss poor yuppie cartridge that wanna-be elitists cry about when it is talked down upon...

Fuck the 5.7 ...  It's way over priced for a Varmint (at best) cartridge.

I'd take a 5.56 in a rifle or a .45 (or for that matter 9mm) in a handgun ANY DAY over the 5.7

Shove your Disrespectful posting up your ass...
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Very tasteless.

It's an over priced piss poor yuppie cartridge that wanna-be elitists cry about when it is talked down upon...

I'd take a 5.56 in a rifle or a .45 (or for that matter 9mm) in a handgun ANY DAY over the 5.7

I'm guessing school must be out today huh?
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#38]
oops
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very tasteless.

That basically sums up the 5.7x28 cartridge. It's an answer to a question that no one asked.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Whole lotta butthurt in here from both sides.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Very tasteless.

That basically sums up the 5.7x28 cartridge. It's an answer to a question that no one asked.

The 5.7x28mm is an answer to a question that NATO asked, and it's already used by hundreds of agencies around the world.

It creates the same wounds as a typical pistol caliber except it also penetrates body armor, recoils less, weighs less, has a flatter trajectory, and takes up less space in a magazine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The 5.7x28mm is an answer to a question that NATO asked, and it's already used by hundreds of agencies around the world.

It produces the same wounds as any typical pistol caliber Debatable

except it also penetrates body armor With LEO ammo that you can't get

recoils less True, it's tiny

weighs less True, it's tiny

has a flatter trajectory Than PISTOL calibers, yes

and takes up less space in a magazine. True, it's tiny

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Elite Ammunition or reload it for the same results.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess that goes to show that just because you're a payed member it doesn't mean you have reading comprehension skills.

So I'll break it down for you, the caliber seems to be effective at what it was designed to do same as most other calibers.

Hope this helps you understand a little more of what I meant. Reading really is fundamental.

Thanks for clarifying.  I am not targeting you specifically.  In the last several 5.7x28 threads that have come up, or at least the ones that I have had the pain of reading, someone invariably just pops-in and says "FORT HOOD".  Nothing more, nothing less, and always from a non-member. Of which that last point is not relevant but interesting.  I understand that Hassan used the FiveSeveN pistol.  I don't understand the relevance nor the meaning of effectively yelling "FORT HOOD y'all!" into a circle of a few adults having a conversation on a newish cartridge.  Does this mean that the round is good?  I hope that someone isn't glorifying that event as an example, considering that he was shooting fish in a barrel.  Does it mean that the round is no good?  Or is someone just trying to mark the memory of a terrible event because of it's association with an oddball caliber?  Maybe I'm not smart enough to get it, but it just seems like something that someone would yell out to contribute to a conversation after they have had about 5 or 6 beers on their way to the can.  Hassan had a .357magnum revolver also IIRC.  Why isn't anyone yelling "FERT HERD" all the time in the S&W forum?  Maybe I'm being a critical asshole, but I think that the victims deserve a little more dignity than acting like a bore by loudly and loosely associating their victimhood with a nerdbullet from belgium via some herp derp battlecry.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for clarifying.  I am not targeting you specifically.  In the last several 5.7x28 threads that have come up, or at least the ones that I have had the pain of reading, someone invariably just pops-in and says "FORT HOOD".  Nothing more, nothing less, and always from a non-member. Of which that last point is not relevant but interesting.  I understand that Hassan used the FiveSeveN pistol.  I don't understand the relevance nor the meaning of effectively yelling "FORT HOOD y'all!" into a circle of a few adults having a conversation on a newish cartridge.  Does this mean that the round is good?  I hope that someone isn't glorifying that event as an example, considering that he was shooting fish in a barrel.  Does it mean that the round is no good?  Or is someone just trying to mark the memory of a terrible event because of it's association with an oddball caliber?  Maybe I'm not smart enough to get it, but it just seems like something that someone would yell out to contribute to a conversation after they have had about 5 or 6 beers on their way to the can.  Hassan had a .357magnum revolver also IIRC.  Why isn't anyone yelling "FERT HERD" all the time in the S&W forum?  Maybe I'm being a critical asshole, but I think that the victims deserve a little more dignity than acting like a bore by loudly and loosely associating their victimhood with a nerdbullet from belgium via some herp derp battlecry.  

I believe some people may take the reference to Fort Hood as demeaning to the fallen solders who lost their lives that day but as far as I know it's one of the few known cases where the 5.7 cartridge was used to kill. There are thousands of cases that can be referenced as to the effectiveness of any other caliber out there but like you said its a newish cartridge and this is a well known instance where it was effectively used.

Nobody is bragging about the incident, it's only brought up because it's proof that the cartridge does do what it was intended to do. This isn't a BB gun as so many like to pretend it is or a cartridge that can even be compared to the 556 or 762, 45acp or 10mm but it's a cartridge that gets blown off non the less as if it's comparable to a rock shot from a sling shot. My only point was it's effectiveness, that's it but people get pissy and throw up the fact that it's not a 45acp or it's not a 9mm as if someone is dogging their choice of caliber. That's not the case at all, the 5.7 is what it is, nothing more, nothing less.

So when people throw up Fort Hood, it's not taking away anyone's dignity no more than referencing any other incident to prove a point. Don't be so easily offended, actions are used as references, simple as that.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elite Ammunition or reload it for the same results.

Even FN's SS195 from the pistol will penetrate a Level II, per Brassfetcher's testing.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#48]
OMG, who cares!!!!  If you like the round, buy one, ff you don't like the round then don't.

Either way I think more guns in this caliber is a good thing.  How about we discuss that instead
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OMG, who cares!!!!  If you like the round, buy one, ff you don't like the round then don't.

Either way I think more guns in this caliber is a good thing.  How about we discuss that instead

Because this is Arfcom
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#50]
back on track - please!

The new guns look great. I personally love the caliber. Now, here I thought I was done buying guns. I'll be following up info on them. The more guns in the caliber, the better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top