Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 10:46:39 AM EDT
FN just debuted its CSASS entry and will be making the SSR/MK20 commercially available

SSD Artilce: AUSA – FNH Introduces CSASS Contender And In Doing So Will Offer MK 20 Commercially
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#1]
ok now thats sexy.........
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!

The cost is the only thing that worries me. If it's in the $5K range, I would be more tempted to go with the KAC SR.-25.

I'm already heavily invested in the SCAR with the 16S CQC and 17S (with standard and CQC barrels), so I'm not sure this adds enough marginal benefit to my arsenal. Then again, maybe I need this to complete the tri-fecta.

I do appreciate FN's support of the American consumer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been wanting an OEM 20" Mk17 barrel for years. Hopefully that will happen after this rifle is made avialable.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Uses a different lower than the SCAR 17?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, aluminum, the plastic lower was breaking.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you swap out uppers with a SCAR 17S or something similar?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has to be joking (my sarcasm meter can't fully tell). The "lower" (or "trigger module") is polymer and, short of the added match trigger in the Mk20, is the same as the 17. I imagine the stock could be swapped between the two as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]

god bless FN
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuck man!  Another rifle i gotta buy.  Shit
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
What optic and silencer use by the SF on their MK20?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What optic and silencer use by the SF on their MK20?
View Quote

I don't know if the optic is standardized, but I have seen some NF variants on them (see pic below).

According to a post by SgtStryker on FNForum, the are using the FN OEM and SureFire SOCOM762-RC.

If they can produce them to be close replicas of the .mil versions then I will be very tempted myself.

*NOTE: The SEAL Future Fund site has lots of pics of these guns, plus some configurations of MK17s that you don't see often, such as setups with 2.5-10x32 NF scopes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I just want that stock.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Do want!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh yes
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder since they're going to finally release this if they're finally going to release the regular 20" barrels for our SCAR 17s. That would be enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder since they're going to finally release this if they're finally going to release the regular 20" barrels for our SCAR 17s. That would be enough for me.
View Quote

Likely not, from what I understand the engineers at FN didn't feel comfortable with the 20" barrel on the standard SCAR receiver, hence why we're getting this, which IMO represents a better solution... If you haven't already SBR'd your 17s, with this should be a pretty good reason for you to do so.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Likely not, from what I understand the engineers at FN didn't feel comfortable with the 20" barrel on the standard SCAR receiver, hence why we're getting this, which IMO represents a better solution... If you haven't already SBR'd your 17s, with this should be a pretty good reason for you to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" is just right I just want that stock I hate my boot stock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Likely not, from what I understand the engineers at FN didn't feel comfortable with the 20" barrel on the standard SCAR receiver, hence why we're getting this, which IMO represents a better solution...
View Quote

What follows is a quote from Matt Jaques regarding the SSR:

"The SCARH-LB performed just as good in the 1-2 EUA's. It was when SOCOM switched to the NF optic from Leupold after EUA 1. There was not enough real estate to accommodate that and inline NV....That was why the 3 receiver extensions were proposed, but then the suggestion from SOCOM was "hey, just make the receiver longer". After the engineers advised all that would be lost in the arena of modularity, SOCOM said they didn't care. Enter the MK20. The larger barrel extension and heavier barrel were proposed AFTER the SSR was requested because of the zero shift with the initial contract AAC suppressor mounted on the longer barrel (another after thought ) That was why there was no provision for that in the original solicitation, it had to be modified.

Absolutely, if a dude can afford it ( excess of $4500- 5k) buy it, it is badass, I will have one. But to the "everyday" gun guy who rarely gets to shoot to the limits of what a SCAR17S LB would give him, the performance is arguable."
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you haven't already SBR'd your 17s, with this should be a pretty good reason for you to do so.
View Quote

If you haven't already SBR'd your 17s, save the $1,500 to put towards the Mk20.

If you want a SBR .30 cal, get a 300BLK rifle for the price of the 17S SBR barrel assembly alone.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you want a SBR .30 cal, get a 300BLK rifle for the price of the 17S SBR barrel assembly alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you haven't already SBR'd your 17s, with this should be a pretty good reason for you to do so.

.300blkout and .308 are completely different animals, the .308 will fly much farther with more punch even with a 13" barrel, in fact I can't think of a better 0-600 yard gun than a 13"" SCAR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

.300blkout and .308 are completely different animals, the .308 will fly much farther with more punch even with a 13" barrel, in fact I can't think of a better 0-600 yard gun than a 13"" SCAR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that, but the Mk17 (err...SCAR 17S in this case) is a different animal than the Mk20 SSR: they serve different roles altogether.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#22]
When this hits the civilian market, it's rumored to cost north of $6,000.

While we won't truly know until the day this comes out, I honestly don't see FN selling this for less than $5,000.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#23]
From what I understand NSW is getting FN armorers sent to their sniper sustainments on the east coast. There is a NSW guy on Modern Service Weapons who mentioned that the were substantial POA-POI shifts with moderate use. (this guy has time in the training detachment in Coronado). Then I see that SF and Ranger BN have not adopted the Mk.20. While this gun is packed with cool factor and the price point to match. I would be leery of dropping 6k on it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
From what I understand NSW is getting FN armorers sent to their sniper sustainments on the east coast. There is a NSW guy on Modern Service Weapons who mentioned that the were substantial POA-POI shifts with moderate use. (this guy has time in the training detachment in Coronado). Then I see that SF and Ranger BN have not adopted the Mk.20. While this gun is packed with cool factor and the price point to match. I would be leery of dropping 6k on it.
View Quote

You joined the site just to tell us that?  Please tell us, where does your "understanding" come from?  How about a source cite?

Familiar.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I did give you a source. While that source is a west coast NSW guy, I told you where he can be found. I am sure he will corroborate the story if he is willing to talk to you. This is happening with the east coast guys (FN armor hitting the sniper sustainments). You can take it or leave it. I would be cautious in spending that kind of money on it until someone like Haley, Vickers, Lamb, or other reputable independent evaluators get ahold of it.  The SCAR is a great gun but $6000k? For longer receiver, an extra bolt on the trunnion, and checkered history. Let it get tested first, not by Handl, not by Elmazi, not by HDD.

Let it get tested by someone who has no skin ($$$) in the game and against another 6k SSR type system or two. I understand it looks cool, I am just suggesting caution.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I did give you a source. While that source is a west coast NSW guy, I told you where he can be found. I am sure he will corroborate the story if he is willing to talk to you. This is happening with the east coast guys (FN armor hitting the sniper sustainments). You can take it or leave it. I would be cautious in spending that kind of money on it until someone like Haley, Vickers, Lamb, or other reputable independent evaluators get ahold of it.  The SCAR is a great gun but $6000k? For longer receiver, an extra bolt on the trunnion, and checkered history. Let it get tested first, not by Handl, not by Elmazi, not by HDD.

Let it get tested by someone who has no skin ($$$) in the game and against another 6k SSR type system or two. I understand it looks cool, I am just suggesting caution.
View Quote

It's tough to argue with this logic.

Additionally, I'm annoyed that it looks so different from its military version. I really am not interested in a pared-down iteration. Something like the KAC SR-25 ECC comes in at a comparable price point (maybe even a little cheaper) and will almost assuredly be very close--if not identical--to their .mil offerings (less select fire if that's an option).
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

FAIL ALERT****FAIL ALERT****

KLRB929, aka shill for handl, aka FOX33, go away. your sideshow is a joke. The Mk20 is solid and if you were in the loop, you'd be smart, sit down, and pour yourself a nice tall glass of STFU.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Time out so we can sort this out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top