Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/24/2010 9:16:48 AM EDT
Does anybody know of a hard rifle case with the dimensions of L 50" x W 18" or something similiar that my AR 50 will fit in. Im sure Im gonna have to remove the stock with any case but that fine if thats all I can find. Thanks Ryan
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
this is the one I'm goeing to get.
Wheeled case

here's another
tuff case

storm 53"
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#2]
This one will work...

GuardForce Wheeled Rifle Case
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Do All Outdoors sells a black powder rifle case that it large enough to fit the AR-50 in it completley assembled with scope and bipod (depending on what bipod your using). I personally have one and love it. It is built very well  is airline approved, has wheels and spring loaded handles.  Most places online sell the case for around 200 but I bought mine off of gator outdoors. They have them for 175.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#5]

My exact setup - works very good for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

same
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Plano Gun Guard all weather series double rifle case - $160.

Hell for tough enough for us guys just not using our AR-50 enough to warrant a $300+ case.  If you want to save money, I see no reason any of the others are superior just for hauling to and from the range bouncing in the bed of your truck.  Much better than factory Armalite soft case (I have one, never used it because the hard case protects so much better).  If you plan to ship by plane, etc., I think it would still work but perhaps at that point you are serious enough for a more expensive case for greater peace of mind.

It easily fits mine with Leupold M4 8.5-25 scope in Badger rings, plus the bolt (removed and placed in its own cutout in the foam) and bipod.  The buttstock I transport separately in a duffel bag when I take her out.

Hope this helps.

Recap:  Occasional use, but still want the toughest case for your dollar - Plano
Extensive use and shipping methods other than the bed of your truck - perhaps, and only perhaps something more expensive (the Plano is pretty tough, but maybe not submersible to 15 feet or capable of withstanding a 10 foot fall or anything like that)
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

same

Same here.

Although I have a 36" barrel on a Ferret 50. And a N.F. Benchrest 8X32X56 scope. I also have a cutout for a 20rnd mag that I filled with lead to give my rifle a little more weight to help tame the recoil. So, I had to take the brake off and again have another cut out for that too. I like how you have put your rifle in diag in the case.

And I think Pelican 1750 cases are tough and will do a great job protecting my rifle but more important it will protect my scope that cost about 33% of the total amount of the rig.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
snip

you can get a 1750 for 188 online with 20 bucks shipping, depending or where you live.

I think for the extra 40-50 I would pick it up vs the plano, and I do use it to travel, so if you don't buy right the first time, you have to spend more the second time. nothing wrong with the case you mentioned for light duty, but for 10-20 50 shots, you could do it right the 1st time. Hell I use the sheap walmart cases for the MGs when going to the range.  

If you want to get real cheap, get a second set of foam inserts, cut for other guns, that way if your not going to a 50 shoot, you can take different stuff.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Taylor,

So, you didn't use an adhesive to tack down the cut out middle piece to the lower foam piece? I was told to do this to help prevent the contents from sliding around. So I got some spray adhesive and made pieces of paper in the same shapes as the cutouts in the middle section. Placed them in the same positions as the cutouts on the lower piece of foam. Sprayed the lower piece with the adhesive and then taped over the cutouts and sprayed the bottom side of the middle foam. Allowed it to dry some as instructed and then put the two together. So, my rifle will not slide around inside the case no matter what side is up or which side is down, rifle is snug in the case. I suppose you could order new foam, but it would have to be at least the middle and bottom pieces.

As they say YMMV
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope, I just cut them out and put the gun in there, with it all closed it doesn't move.

Ive never seen the spray glue method, I'm also in the mil and the bazillion cases we have, we don't glue foam to the case. I'm not saying it the smart thing to do, I've never seen it done.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Is there a case made that you don't need to disassemble your gun? Mine's 54" OAL.

J
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do All Outdoors sells a black powder rifle case that it large enough to fit the AR-50 in it completley assembled with scope and bipod (depending on what bipod your using). I personally have one and love it. It is built very well  is airline approved, has wheels and spring loaded handles.  Most places online sell the case for around 200 but I bought mine off of gator outdoors. They have them for 175.

This one
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

you can get a 1750 for 188 online with 20 bucks shipping, depending or where you live.

I think for the extra 40-50 I would pick it up vs the plano, and I do use it to travel, so if you don't buy right the first time, you have to spend more the second time. nothing wrong with the case you mentioned for light duty, but for 10-20 50 shots, you could do it right the 1st time. Hell I use the sheap walmart cases for the MGs when going to the range.  

If you want to get real cheap, get a second set of foam inserts, cut for other guns, that way if your not going to a 50 shoot, you can take different stuff.

YMMV

I would agree with you there on the price vs benefit in a different size than the one shown (I think when I bought mine it was less than $100, don't know what happened to the price in the last 5 years or so) - I would add though that my AR-50 does not have to be angled at all, fits straight across without the buttstock with plenty of dense foam all around.  I can't tell what scope that is in the pic of the 1750, but it looks like there's barely enough room to clear.  It also looks smaller than my M4 8.5-25, but that's hard to tell from a photo.  In other words the fallacy I see in this is the muzzle brake, pistol grip and scope are all way too close to the outer shell at those points (judging from the pic) for my tastes.  There's plenty of padding all around mine, so I'd wager the gun would be less likely to suffer impact damage from any direction.  Were I to opt for the Pelican, looks like the next size up is more appropriate if there is one.

Again, pics are hard to judge sometimes and it's a small one so I may be nuts.  Can someone post a better shot?

Again, I agree the Pelican is better quality (although not by much - the one I have is 95% as nice as my Pelicans so I would hardly consider it light duty like some factory Bushmaster case or something, it weighs a good bit with nothing in it at all) but looks like one 6-8" longer would be better?  I need to go measure mine, hell, it may not even be the exact same thing they're selling now so all this may be moot.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is there a case made that you don't need to disassemble your gun? Mine's 54" OAL.

J

Look for muzzle loader cases, at Cabelas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same here.

Although I have a 36" barrel on a Ferret 50. And a N.F. Benchrest 8X32X56 scope. I also have a cutout for a 20rnd mag that I filled with lead to give my rifle a little more weight to help tame the recoil. So, I had to take the brake off and again have another cut out for that too. I like how you have put your rifle in diag in the case.

And I think Pelican 1750 cases are tough and will do a great job protecting my rifle but more important it will protect my scope that cost about 33% of the total amount of the rig.

I just got my Ferret 50 upper, 36" barrel... I have to assemble my lower. Planning to use an A2 stock with a wedge of lead inserted into it. Don't have a scope yet.

The Pelican 1750 looks like it might do the trick for me as well... But the thing must weigh 50 pounds with the gun inside. Holy backache, Batman...

I can't tell from the photos - where are the wheels located on that case?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]
25 years ago I picked up an aluminum 2 scoped rifle heavy duty case at the Charlotte NC gun show.  It's fairly heavy but I decided to pick up some wheels and a folding handle at the local hardware store.  The wheels are 2 inches high and I mounted the folding handle on the opposite end.  Works like a charm with the 27 lb Bohica and Nightforce scope. I think I paid $40 for it 25 years ago and it would cost me $250 now without the wheels.   I've also got a couple of Gun Guard 2 rifle cases that would work the same if I wanted to go cheaper.  Those wheels with 4 mounting holes work just fine.  

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top