Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/22/2013 6:37:20 PM EDT
This is my 1890s Ngombe executioner's sword. The Ngombe ("river people") are a Congolese ethnographic group who manufactured these swords for ceremonial executions. The victim would be tied by their feet to the ground with their neck tied to a bent flexible tree, suspending them between the earth and bent tree.

The executioner would then hack off their head with the curved edge of the sword, catapulting the severed head over the tree tops. The Ngombe believed that the head remained alive for moments after being severed and the experience of sailing over the treetops would ease the transition into the afterlife.

At the turn of the 20th Century, the Belgians banned the manufacture of these swords, but the Ngombe continued making them anyway and used them in ceremonial dances and as a status symbol.

My specimen is 17 inches from blade tip to handle and 8 inches from handle to the end of the pommel. For more information about the Belgian Congo (and by extension, the historical context within which this sword was used and banned), check out King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild.

Now without further ado, here is my Ngombe executioner's sword:

I can assure you there is no active rust on the blade and the redness is a result of lighting and my camera.

Post your exotic (African, Pacific Islands, Middle Eastern, etc) blades if you have them.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I do volunteer work at a local museum dedicated to a local industrialist and world traveller. In the industrialists mansion we have a some what extensive collection of firearms and swords that he collected in his travels. I believe there are three of those in the collection. He also has a middle eastern executioners sword, the blade on it is a very black color.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That's awesome. What did the Middle Eastern blade look like?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Blade is about five feet long, it is curvey on both sides, long hilt, two handled grip, and not very ornate. It is definitely a two handed sword. The color of the blade makes me think that it has seen really heavy use. I'll see if I can get  couple pictures to send you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I was aware of the Congolese sword , but not their technique ... The head would remain alive , until it succumbed to oxygen deprivation - probably 20 seconds +/- . I'm not sure how much it could comprehend until then ...
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Wicked. And cool!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blade is about five feet long, it is curvey on both sides, long hilt, two handled grip, and not very ornate. It is definitely a two handed sword. The color of the blade makes me think that it has seen really heavy use. I'll see if I can get  couple pictures to send you.

That would be awesome!

Quoted:
I was aware of the Congolese sword , but not their technique ... The head would remain alive , until it succumbed to oxygen deprivation - probably 20 seconds +/- . I'm not sure how much it could comprehend until then ...

Apparently the Ngombe believed the head would stay alive and ease the transition of the dead body it was formerly attached to into the afterlife. Maybe they were onto something...

Quoted:
Wicked. And cool!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The executioner would then hack off their head with the curved edge of the sword, catapulting the severed head over the tree tops. The Ngombe believed that the head remained alive for moments after being severed and the experience of sailing over the treetops would ease the transition into the afterlife.

This is actually true and it was even scientifically measured.  Back during the French revolution there was one French scientist (forgot his name) who was a little too chummy with the royals and he was sentenced to the guillotine.  Before the execution, his scientific peers asked him perform an experiment- he would devote himself to continue blinking and the duration for how long he kept blinking would be recorded by observers.  After he was beheaded he continued to blink for about ten seconds, and they figured it was because the head had enough oxygenated blood to keep the brain alive for a short while even after being removed from the body.  What these tribes people believed was true as far as it goes, but what they probably didn't realize is that unless the head was flung 500 feet into the air the victim would probably have been still conscious when the head hit the ground.

We return you to our regularly scheduled program before people start thinking I'm a ghoul...
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is actually true and it was even scientifically measured.  Back during the French revolution there was one French scientist (forgot his name) who was a little too chummy with the royals and he was sentenced to the guillotine.  Before the execution, his scientific peers asked him perform an experiment- he would devote himself to continue blinking and the duration for how long he kept blinking would be recorded by observers.  After he was beheaded he continued to blink for about ten seconds, and they figured it was because the head had enough oxygenated blood to keep the brain alive for a short while even after being removed from the body.  What these tribes people believed was true as far as it goes, but what they probably didn't realize is that unless the head was flung 500 feet into the air the victim would probably have been still conscious when the head hit the ground.

We return you to our regularly scheduled program before people start thinking I'm a ghoul...

I need to find out who this French scientist is. That story is fascinating.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen one of those before in a book. Indian, isn't it? What is it called?
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]
All I've got is one real, "old" katana...

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Filipino Kriss
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read somewhere that a French doctor connected a dog to a guillotined head to see how long he could keep it alive. Supposedly they kept it alive for several minutes, it appeared to mouth words, blink, and rotate it's eyes. There are othe accounts that guillotined heads were often yelled at by executioners when they were in the basket, again they would rotate their eyes, blink and appear to focus their eyes on the person yelling.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read somewhere that a French doctor connected a dog to a guillotined head to see how long he could keep it alive. Supposedly they kept it alive for several minutes, it appeared to mouth words, blink, and rotate it's eyes. There are othe accounts that guillotined heads were often yelled at by executioners when they were in the basket, again they would rotate their eyes, blink and appear to focus their eyes on the person yelling.

That's unsettling as hell.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Filipino Indonesian Kris

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's unsettling as hell.  

Thats nothing check out #2 on this list Mad Scientist
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Back in the 90s while I was TDY to Riyadh I saw an execution, they beheaded 5 drug runners with a sword.  It was memorable.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thats nothing check out #2 on this list Mad Scientist

I think I can speak for everyone else here when I say...

AHHHHHHH!  WHAT THE F**K DID I JUST WATCH????

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Hahah bet you learned something though
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top