Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 6/22/2013 3:46:36 PM EDT
I have a friend who frequents the shop and he asked me one day if I had a penny in my pocket.

Puzzled, I handed him one, and he gave me this knife and said something along the lines that our friendship would be preserved because I paid the asking price for this

I got the camera out tonight and photographed it a few times.

I'll readily admit that I know very little about knives and I'm just curious as to what I have here.

Is it damascus steel?

They're linked for fullsize.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it to me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Could be etched Damascus, post a close up of the blade for a final verdict.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on the limited view of the bottom of the choil, I would say it is not true Damascus. but has been etched to look like Damascus.

Check this: http://thompsonsknives.com/damascus_etching_instructions.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks etched to me. There doesn't look to be a natural differentiation in color. I'm no expert though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at the tang between the scales. If there are no lines then not real.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it's fake too.
I have heard that some etching is done to highlight the lines on damascus blades that are new but that isn't what appears to have been done here.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at the tang between the scales. If there are no lines then not real.

This is not always the case. Often times makers weld cheaper steel tangs to Damascus blades to save money/material.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Damascus is usually etched to reveal the pattern.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no answer but a comment and that is I think you made out well on your purchase
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]
A good friend of mine's wife is a knife collector and she also fences.

I figured instead of it sitting in my safe I'd give it to them and thus I did. I figured they'd have a greater appreciation for it and they did

I appreciate everyone's insight here. Always something new to learn.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top