Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2013 1:27:03 PM EDT
Hey guys, I keep hearing about these magazines for storing smokeless gun powder. Any of you ever build one? I've read the best thing to do is make a 1" thick wood box for storage...
Any input here would be helpful, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup. Built one for powder and one for primers. There are lots of ways to do it, but the cheapest and easiest way to do it is with 2x6 or 2x8 lumber. Use 2x2s inside to keep all together and a small piece of plywood to hold the top pieces together.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a cabinet 24x60x24 which is divided into three separate compartments, each with its own door,  It's 3/4 laminated press board, and each compartment has an adjustable shelf.  

It keeps the powder cool, dry, in the dark, and away from any other outside sources. It's not air tight so air can move around the plastic canisters.  Powder is kept in the left compartment, bullets and empty boxes in the middle, and primers in the right.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm I have 3 pallets that I was going to use for the firepit, but now it looks like I'm building a powder magazine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Primer%20Magazine/P4180148.jpg

First one I built used 1 1/2 inch thick wood. Made it pretty heavy.

Second one I used 1 inch thick wood I cut down from 1 1/2 boards.

Used finish nails to hold it together. The boards for the sides, bottom and top were glued up panels.

Finished. For powder build a higher box.

Thank you for the info. and pictures. I will work on making that this weekend.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top