Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 4:42:13 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have pretty much decided on a LNL progressive instead of a XL650, but I am not sure what I need for the powder measure.  What is needed to attach the case activated powder dispenser to the press.  Is there a powder thru die I need?  If so, universal or per caliber?  Powder funnel by caliber like the dillon?

I've probably searched on this for 3 hours today but if there a topic that covers this, just shoot me the link and I'll read up.  Worst case, I'll give hornady a call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
the case activated powder drop has inserts that allow you to adjust to the various diameters you'll be loading, if you're buying the AP new it'll come with everything for the powder measure.

It attaches to the press using the LNL bushings, just like the dies.

Jason
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!

Got in touch with someone from Natchez today who told me I needed a die for each caliber.  Didnt seem right from what I had read already.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
fwiw/imho:

If you are loading Jacked Rounds, I would highly recommend the:

Powder Funnel PTX Insert [Adjust the Height for the amount of case flare, Just enough to top a bullet]
http://www.powderfunnels.com/

Also, Additional Items that make reloading more efficient/pleasant on the Hornady LNL AP:
http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/hornady-lock-n-load-ap-ergo-roller-lever
^ Pretty much use everything they make , Just plain works.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the case activated powder drop has inserts that allow you to adjust to the various diameters you'll be loading, if you're buying the AP new it'll come with everything for the powder measure.

Jason
View Quote

Wrong! (pistols need the PTX)
It comes with three different length tubes for dropping powder into short medium and tall cases.
You want to buy the bullet feeder die for the caliber you are loading. The bullet feeder die comes with the PTX powder through expander die for the powder measure.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Got in touch with someone from Natchez today who told me I needed a die for each caliber.  Didnt seem right from what I had read already.  
View Quote

You do not need a die for each caliber, but it makes it easier as you don't have to reset the height of the die for each case length and style. I have a die for each caliber and complete CAPDs for each of my powder measures. This way when I go to load it is plug and play, no adjusting. The dies are about $25, but the CAPDs are $58 without the measure. You will figure out what your time is worth.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You do not need a die for each caliber, but it makes it easier as you don't have to reset the height of the die for each case length and style. I have a die for each caliber and complete CAPDs for each of my powder measures. This way when I go to load it is plug and play, no adjusting. The dies are about $25, but the CAPDs are $58 without the measure. You will figure out what your time is worth.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also bought several powder dies - the bottom part for about $25 each.  It makes change overs easy.  What is a CAPD?

I have PTX inserts in each pistol caliber, so as mentioned above, it's plug and play after dropping the powder measure on the appropriate bottom die.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It comes with three different length tubes for dropping powder into short medium and tall cases.
You want to buy the bullet feeder die for the caliber you are loading. The bullet feeder die comes with the PTX powder through expander die for the powder measure.

http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Hornady-Bullet-Feed-Die-1200.jpg

http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Die-Stations-Bullet-Feed-with-Taper-Crimp-600.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jason

http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Hornady-Bullet-Feed-Die-1200.jpg

http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Die-Stations-Bullet-Feed-with-Taper-Crimp-600.jpg

That's incorrect, you don't need the PTX, it is however nice to have. SCRAMBLD is correct in that if you buy the LNL AP you will get everything basically needed, with the exception of caliber specific dies, to begin reloading.

I used the original set up for quite awhile before going to the PTX on my 9mm and still haven't used a PTX when loading 45ACP.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Powder Funnel PTX Insert [Adjust the Height for the amount of case flare, Just enough to top a bullet]

View Quote

For pistol rounds i would highly suggest the powder funnels ptx. It works for most calibers.

The hornady ptx is junk. You have to buy one for each cal and every one I've had seems to sick on the downstroke shaking the press and ultimately spilling powder from the cases onto the shell plate.

Edit: the hornady ptx i had was junk.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I run the PTX in mine for 9mm. For pistol I only use resize, PTX and crimp seater. Stations 3 and 5 are empty

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I have pretty much decided on a LNL progressive instead of a XL650, but I am not sure what I need for the powder measure.  What is needed to attach the case activated powder dispenser to the press. The AP comes with the "Powder Measure" which consists of the PM itself including (rifle and pistol) rotor and metering insert, the case activated linkage, a quick change powder die, and a PTX linkage bar. Bushings come with the press to allow the die to be inserted. Finally, three inserts are provided that go inside the powder die to allow different sized cases to properly activate the linkage. These parts are all you need for rifle, but nothing is provided to bell pistol cases.  

Is there a powder thru die I need?The Quick Change Powder die provides that function, but for pistol you would either use an expander die in the next station (not recommended) or  a PTX™ Universal Powder Drop Expander , sold by caliber. These would replace the height-matching inserts and also provide belling for pistol.  If so, universal or per caliber?  A third-party mfger makes a universal expander that many people use - I have no experience with it.Powder funnel by caliber like the dillon?

I've probably searched on this for 3 hours today but if there a topic that covers this, just shoot me the link and I'll read up.  Worst case, I'll give hornady a call tomorrow.
View Quote

For future reference, in order to avoid any changeover readjustments I bought a second PM to have one with the pistol and another with the rifle rotor installed, and one Quick Change Powder Die and PTX Linkage bar per caliber. For most calibers with a standard load(s) I have a dedicated metering insert pre-set, and micrometer adjustable inserts for the rest. How this goes together easily will become clear after you have (cleaned and) set the PM up for yourself the first time.

GLHF and be safe!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#11]
OP ignore all the PTX shit, you DO NOT need that. The press comes with all that you need for dispensing powder. I have had my press since 1999 and have never used a PTX die and I use the bullet feeder. These are nice thing to have, but that was not your question.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, you spent $400 to load slow? No you spent $400 to go fast, not reckless, just fast. Get a bullet feeder die, 1/3 of your time is spent seating the brass in the press, 1/3 is seating the bullet, and pulling the lever is the last 1/3 of your time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both the bullet and case feeder. The bullet feeder should be the last thing you buy. The whole ptx thing is only good for 9 (for me) I don't flare 45 cus I don't crimp my 45. The case feeder is worth it's weight in gold

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok, you spent $400 to load slow? No you spent $400 to go fast, not reckless, just fast. Get a bullet feeder die, 1/3 of your time is spent seating the brass in the press, 1/3 is seating the bullet, and pulling the lever is the last 1/3 of your time.
View Quote

The guy wants to know what he needs to get going. No need to confuse him with accesories, implying that they are needed. Those can come later after he's up and running.

I load 100 rounds in under 5 minutes without PTX or case feeder.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The guy wants to know what he needs to get going. No need to confuse him with accesories, implying that they are needed. Those can come later after he's up and running.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly this.  
Most people just buying the press don't want nor 'need' a PTX, case feeder, bullet feeder die (you can also buy the PTX separate from the BFD); they want to get loading safely and consistently.
Unless you want to run the bullet feeder, or separate seat + crimp dies plus a powder check, it's just not needed.

@OP
Everything you need to load both rifle and pistol calibers comes with the LnL AP, except for shell plates + dies.
Get it set up, running smoothly, and your confidence level up before worrying about anything else/'extra' parts/accessories.

Once you do, come back with questions on how we're running ours (e.g. separate seat, crimp, with or without case and/or bullet feeders, extra PMs, PM inserts vs micrometer inserts, etc.). but right now, get familiar with the press and get some ammo loading up.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]

I also bought several powder dies - the bottom part for about $25 each.  It makes change overs easy.  What is a CAPD?

I have PTX inserts in each pistol caliber, so as mentioned above, it's plug and play after dropping the powder measure on the appropriate bottom die.
View All Quotes

CAPD= Case Activated Powder Drop

Quoted:
Quoted:

For pistol rounds i would highly suggest the powder funnels ptx. It works for most calibers.

The hornady ptx is junk. You have to buy one for each cal and every one I've had seems to sick on the downstroke shaking the press and ultimately spilling powder from the cases onto the shell plate.

Edit: the hornady ptx i had was junk.

The Hornady PTX expanders that I use for .40S&W and .38/.357 work wonderfully.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exactly this.  
Most people just buying the press don't want nor 'need' a PTX, case feeder, bullet feeder die (you can also buy the PTX separate from the BFD); they want to get loading safely and consistently.
Unless you want to run the bullet feeder, or separate seat + crimp dies plus a powder check, it's just not needed.

@OP
Everything you need to load both rifle and pistol calibers comes with the LnL AP, except for shell plates + dies.
Get it set up, running smoothly, and your confidence level up before worrying about anything else/'extra' parts/accessories.

Once you do, come back with questions on how we're running ours (e.g. separate seat, crimp, with or without case and/or bullet feeders, extra PMs, PM inserts vs micrometer inserts, etc.). but right now, get familiar with the press and get some ammo loading up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly this.  

@OP

Exactly, there are tons of nice to haves for reloading and actually very few necessities. Get the basics down with your set up and then determine if the need is truly there.  Use the cost savings from buying the "extras/not required" items and buy components.

I've cranked out thousands of 9mm and 45 without a PTX, bullet or case feeder right out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been perfectly content with my AP in its original configuration.  I usually run: resize/deprime; M expander; powder drop; seater; crimp.  It loads 25-20 faster than I can shoot it, without mangling a case (unlike my 550B).
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought all those ptx's but the one from powderfunnels is all I use now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Exactly this.  

@OP

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly this.  

@OP

Exactly what I had planned.  I've reloaded for years, and had turret presses but this is the first progressive.  Most questions have been answered through searching already, just couldn't find the one that caused me to start this thread.  Honestly, I just didn't want to have to pay shipping again if I NEEDED something else.  If I want something else after getting it setup, that's a different story.

Thanks for the input for sure though!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:56:19 AM EDT
[#21]
You can come by and check mine out. I'll show ya the box of stuff I bought but didn't need lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top