Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2014 8:05:46 PM EDT
I'd say this hillbilly tumbler works great! Pics of the brass were after 5 minutes of tumbling in walnut media. All for the great price of free-.95. Don't mind the dimmer switch, it doesn't do anything. Figured it'd be a good idea, but my redneck science only goes so far, I reckon.

Title edit to add relevance.  AeroE

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
OKAY.

Cheap-o butt.

Probably not the best forum for that, but we do want to have at least a little fun here.  AeroE

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a franklin-arsenal tumbler I paid $20 for 20 years ago.
It holds a lot more brass.
Props for your creativity!
If it was me I'd probably burn my house down.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I must be blind or dense, I can't figure out what shakes the can.

View Quote

It looks like it's a hand held orbital sander scabbed on to the can and held in a vice to me....
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the irrelevance, mods. Yeah, my tumbling needs aren't very much, so I figured I'd save some money (at least in the meantime) and just use some stuff I had laying around.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Hillbillies are creative...
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It looks like it's a hand held orbital sander scabbed on to the can and held in a vice to me....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I must be blind or dense, I can't figure out what shakes the can.

I couldn't figure what was going on there either until you pointed it out

Looks like it's doing the job well enough
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I couldn't figure it out by the pic either.  Glad you explained that it was a random orbital sander.

Not to criticize but if I was doing such a small batch and had no equipment, like a box or two of rifle, I'd simply clean up the brass with fine steel wool and a bore brush for the necks.  Simple and cheap.

I figure the OP will step up to a cement truck by next year.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a franklin-arsenal tumbler I paid $20 for 20 years ago.
It holds a lot more brass.
Props for your creativity!
If it was me I'd probably burn my house down.
View Quote

You don't know how much truth you speak.  Go to the CPSC website.  Some older Franklin Arsenal tumblers did start fires and were recalled.

DO IT NOW!
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#12]

I tried this a few years ago, but it doesn't work that great if you need to tumble more than a handful at a time.

Keep that head flowing with ideas. This county needs more inventors.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'd say this hillbilly tumbler works great! Pics of the brass were after 5 minutes of tumbling in walnut media. All for the great price of free-.95. Don't mind the dimmer switch, it doesn't do anything. Figured it'd be a good idea, but my redneck science only goes so far, I reckon.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u614/BrendanPoston/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140602_153800_514_zps301a1c49.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u614/BrendanPoston/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140602_153943_979_zpsa386337c.jpg

Title edit to add relevance.  AeroE

View Quote

View Quote
Nice OP. How 'bout a vid of it working? (or do you not have enough stuff laying around to make a video capture device?)

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Where did you get, or what have you shot that brass through, and how many times?  It may just be the picture, but it looks like you may have impending case head failures with that strong line running across both the dirty and the clean pieces in your hand.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Drink more coffee for bigger can.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys, so update on the sander: it burnt up. I should have seen it coming, but I guess the 29 Palms heat got to it. Sorry for no video of it working, I'm gonna buy a REAL tumbler now! I did get around 800 cases tumbled through it in one day though, which isn't bad considering the size of the can.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where did you get, or what have you shot that brass through, and how many times?  It may just be the picture, but it looks like you may have impending case head failures with that strong line running across both the dirty and the clean pieces in your hand.
View Quote

Hey thanks for the heads up. Yeah this was all range pick up brass I got in an ammo can, I had to go and sort through them as some of them looked about worn out. Thanks for looking out though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top