Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GFrancisco:

You also never know how many of those revolvers had trigger work done.
View Quote

Or, like me a SIG 365, with a spring kit.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend and I use them. They seem not to like the Glocks as much as the other pistols. When they FTF, I’ve flipped them into my P320 and they go off. Strange but this has happened with factory ammo as well. I just put it in another pistol and it goes bang. Could be the priming compound shifted during shipping and the firing pin didn’t strike it correctly. Could it be that they came from the same production lot??? Who knows? I just loaded a box of 50 for my Sig, I will have to go to the range and try them out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:13:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shomestyle] [#3]
Using them with my atlas guns never had an issue and used them a lot.  But an Sao gun has a pretty heavy hammer spring so that would make sense.  I can run small rifle primers no problem in the same guns and did.

With my canik and eaa regard (beretta clone) I've had issues.  Regard has a beretta D spring in it.

Thought it might be not seating deep enough but have had most where it doesn't go off on 2nd or 3rd strike.  

Ginex might be one every few hundred, these are much more comparatively in those guns.

Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By oper28:
A friend and I use them. They seem not to like the Glocks as much as the other pistols. When they FTF, I’ve flipped them into my P320 and they go off. Strange but this has happened with factory ammo as well. I just put it in another pistol and it goes bang. Could be the priming compound shifted during shipping and the firing pin didn’t strike it correctly. Could it be that they came from the same production lot??? Who knows? I just loaded a box of 50 for my Sig, I will have to go to the range and try them out.
View Quote

When was the last time the Glock slide was stripped and the striker channel cleaned out? I had a G23 begin to light strike and the problem was crud in the striker channel.

I use CCI 400 SRP in 3 different glocks and they all function 100% now. I'm using std striker springs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up 500 at our gun club's flea market for $10.00. Guy said they worked OK (90%) in his Glock but 50% failure in his 38SPL loads

For me 99% success is not worth having
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:
I picked up 500 at our gun club's flea market for $10.00. Guy said they worked OK (90%) in his Glock but 50% failure in his 38SPL loads

For me 99% success is not worth having
View Quote

There's one way to find out if the guy just wasn't seating them all the way or had something else going on... Please post up results if you load and shoot them.

I agree that less than 100% is not acceptable. Testing in your hands is the only way to determine they will work for you and your guns.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:07:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine were fully seated. I went back and seated the primers in my 380 cases even deeper in a different primer seater. It is adjustable for length. Once the primers were crushed a little I had 99% fire rate. I am leaning on my pi  protrusion being a little short. I hit the couple that did not go off 3x and nothing. But I put them into another 380 and they all fired.

I am also leaning towards these primers need some crush to make them more sensitive. I think the anvil is shorter and needs that extra crush to make them work in some guns. I can use cci 41 SR primers in this same gun and it is 100% fire rate. So there is a problem with them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I load a lot and I have no problem with all Merkun primers. If I have to put on Latin music and keep my head tilted 10% to the left and say something in Spanish to get a primer to seat like it should have in the first place I say see ya Amigo primer

I will take these to the gun show and sell them for double what I paid to someone that has used them and for whatever reason has had success.

Sorry, no follow up report cuz I won't waste my time trying based on the many many many negative reports here alone

Bismarck said "Fools learn from their own mistakes, I learn from the mistakes of others" This seems like a great example to listen to Otto von
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:
I load a lot and I have no problem with all Merkun primers. If I have to put on Latin music and keep my head tilted 10% to the left and say something in Spanish to get a primer to seat like it should have in the first place I say see ya Amigo primer

I will take these to the gun show and sell them for double what I paid to someone that has used them and for whatever reason has had success.

Sorry, no follow up report cuz I won't waste my time trying based on the many many many negative reports here alone

Bismarck said "Fools learn from their own mistakes, I learn from the mistakes of others" This seems like a great example to listen to Otto von
View Quote

To be clear, you never tried them in any of your firearms?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
To be clear, you never tried them in any of your firearms?
View Quote

Correct; just too good a price to pass on.
Plenty of guys here that have posted their experience that is way too overwhelmingly negative to bother, IMO
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
That sounds like a gummy/dirty firing pin channel.

Try a deep clean of the slide.
View Quote

One would think that is a good cause. However, I totally break down my Glocks after every range trip to a pile of parts and clean thoroughly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone commented on experience with their 209-size primers?  I could use a few more of this size in my inventory and they are by far the most reasonable.

I'm concerned that they might have the same issue I have read about with Cheddite 209s.  I've read they are slightly oversize and "stretch out" the primer pocket to where the pockets become too loose for any other primer once you've shoved in a Cheddite.

Thanks.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I loaded up 100 9mm rounds with 3.7gr Titegroup, 125 coated bullets and mixed brass with a Dillion 650.

70 in a Gen5 Glock 34 and 30 in the SP5

All went off just fine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Did some testing today - mixed results.  I'll write up a longer more detailed post, but here's the short version.

Shot about 100 of these loaded up in 9mm through a M&P, Glock 34 and 17.  No problems - all 3 guns were happy.  

My performance center 627 ( 357 mag revolver) did NOT like these at all.  I was getting misfires about every 6-8 rounds.  90% of the misfires would go off on a 2nd strike, and the other 10% would go off on a 3rd strike.  I'm pretty confidant its not high primers either, as I've shot thousands of rounds using winchester primers in this gun with never an issue.  After the 627 struggled with the primers, I pulled out my carry gun (Ruger LCR) and fired 10 of the SYA primed rounds through it, and the Ruger had no problems.  The primer strikes on the Ruger fired rounds looked more "robust" compared to the rounds fired out of the 627, so I am suspecting that the SYA primers are a tad hard and want a solid hit to go off.  

I saved the brass from both the Ruger and 627, and I'll post pics when I write up a detailed range report later (I'll start a new thread about it).
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I loaded 100 to try it in a couple different 9mm Glocks and MP5 clone. Hopefully will get to the range this week.

I will agree with others that the primers seem to seat just a bit harder than CCI.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 7:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -MainDisconnect-] [#19]
Made it out to the range today. Tested 100 9mm reloads. 33 with a Glock 19X, 10 with a Glock 43X and 57 with a MP5 clone. All worked perfectly. The load was 5.0 grains of CFE Pistol with 124 grain X-Treme plated bullet. Primer depth measured around 0.0015-0.0020 on the few I tried to measure.

ETA: Possibly I am remembering the primer seating depth incorrectly. I am currently running another batch and getting around 6-8 thousands depth.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By -MainDisconnect-:
I loaded 100 to try it in a couple different 9mm Glocks and MP5 clone. Hopefully will get to the range this week.

I will agree with others that the primers seem to seat just a bit harder than CCI.
View Quote

Weird, I have seated probably 400 on a 750.  They slide in easily for me in mixed 9mm brass.  Easier than any other brand.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I've loaded and shot 1000 this summer. They are the nicest-looking primers I have used in the last 50 years. Some did not fire the first time in striker-fired pistols (XD, XDM). worked every time in my 9mm 1911 and revolvers.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I really think the anvil is the culprit for these not going off. It does sit lower in the primer so you either have to have a very strong strike or a longer pin protrusion on your firing pin. I have talked to a friend today that was having all kinds of problems with his PSA Dagger not firing them. But he switched out to a heavier striker spring and now they work fine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Ensure area around striker is clean and free from grunge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
I'm getting maybe 5% ftf in striker fired guns.

I thought maybe I wasn't seating them hard enough but after extra attention there I'm still seeing some ftfs.

I'm waiting on an extra power striker spring to see if that helps.
Ensure area around striker is clean and free from grunge.

I made this mistake when I cleaned my Glock 17 slide. CLP got into the striker channel and I had 2 failure to fires from light strikes. Took the slide apart and wiped all lube off of the striker sleeve (or whatever it’s called) and channel. No issues after that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CP4895] [#24]
I loaded and shot 1000 of these primers in mixed range brass.
They were 100% in: Sig P226, Sig M17 and a HK MP5. No problems at all. Used a Dillon SDB, seated with little to no effort. Not like the S&B primers.

CP4895
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Grumple:
Couldn't refuse the offer. $250 +$19.99 hazmat and free shipping for 5,000.

Limited online info.

Impulsive buy.

What am I in for, any experience?

View Quote

@Grumple
Might be interesting to add a poll on this thread. Maybe have 5% increments on primers that worked on first strike or something like that.

- 100% fired
- 95%
- etc
- less than 80% ?

or go the other way and have % failed to fire.

- 5% fail to fire
- 10%
- etc

On another note: anyone experience a hang fire with these? That would be a deal breaker...
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:26:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#27]
Fired 50 rounds today. 9mm, G19 Gen 4.

1 FTF on first strike. Second strike went bang.

100 rounds thus far with a 1% ftf on 1st strike.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#29]
About 100 rounds of light loads .38 Special this week in 686 no-dash revolver.

100% sure-fire
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:55:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#30]
So far 100% (250ish) first try bangs.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I still believe that any primer that takes a second hit was not fully seated in primer pocket.

As first hit fully seats the primer, round does not go off.

Second hit fires normally now that the primer is seated fully.
View Quote

Don’t leave me out.  I replaced some springs in my 365 to get a lighter trigger pull.  Good trigger that won’t always light off a primer.
I gutted it out and replaced Mcarbo springs with factory, now 100% ignition and the factory trigger is really not that bad.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#33]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#34]
Thanks for the report, and the second strike results.
View Quote

The 1 ftf on 1st strike and went bang on second strike

I'm having a hard time believing it wasn't seated all the way down

I took caution seating them due to the theory you presented about not  being seated and use extra push/ force when seating these primers on a dillon XL750 and still had a 1st strike ftf. I'm totally ok with with the ftf, I'm using them as range fodder.
I have another 100 loaded. I'm gonna compare them to CCI with a chrono.

I will say this as well,  these primers seem to be hotter than CCI. Typically I will have some powder soot on the brass using CCI's , not with these primers . The brass is as clean as a whistle.

My standard load is 5.2grs of CFE under a 124gr RMR MPHP

Definitely need to compare the two with a Chrono
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 4:18:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#36]
All rounds RMR 124 gr HP ( pre nuke) 5.2gr CFE pistol, COL 1.075, mixed 1x fired brass.
Firearm; Glock 19 stock

CCI small pistol primer
Avg 1116
SD 29
H 1163
L  1094
10 rounds

Argentine sp primer
Avg 1128
SD 18
H 1167
L 1107
10 rounds

Thus far out of 200 rounds only 1 ftf on first strike. On second strike it went bang.

I'm beginning to trust these primers, but will use and trust them as range fodder only for now. Maybe dryflash is correct... primer not seated
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice.  Based on those results I’d use them.  

I’m guessing that COAL should be 1.075”.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
Nice.  Based on those results I’d use them.  

I’m guessing that COAL should be 1.075”.
View Quote

Correct 1.075.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:59:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#40]
If it goes off on the second strike, that's the give away that the primer was not seated properly.

Not trying to pour salt on a wound, just pointing out the cause. Hopefully in a helpful manner.
View Quote

DF can you explain then what we are doing wrong or how to fix it?

I've been reloading 10 years (shorter than many here, but I'm not a newb).

None of my SyA primers sit proud of the pocket and I am pressing firmly to seat the primer on each press stroke (Dillon SD).

This has also not been an issue for me with any other primer brand I have used. I find it hard to blame technique when the problem only shows up with this brand primer.

I'm not trying to just blame the primer I really do want these to work ( I bought 6k of them).

I did go out to the range again last Wednesday.  

My M&P with standard striker spring was getting 1-3 FtFs per magazine (17rds).  And yes, they fired second go 'round.

I bought a heavier striker spring, 6.5lbs, and that reduced the FtF to 0-1 per mag. All but one of these fired second time, one was completely dead.

So the heavier spring worked better but not perfect.

I also tried 100 in .45 for my 1911 and those all worked just fine.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:46:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tommee-boy-72] [#41]
If it goes off on the second strike, that's the give away that the primer was not seated properly.

Not trying to pour salt on a wound, just pointing out the cause. Hopefully in a helpful manner.
View Quote

Not always. WEAK springs will do the same thing. A too short of pin protrusion will do the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#43]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#44]
ETA - NM
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

DF can you explain then what we are doing wrong or how to fix it?

I've been reloading 10 years (shorter than many here, but I'm not a newb).

None of my SyA primers sit proud of the pocket and I am pressing firmly to seat the primer on each press stroke (Dillon SD).

This has also not been an issue for me with any other primer brand I have used. I find it hard to blame technique when the problem only shows up with this brand primer.

I'm not trying to just blame the primer I really do want these to work ( I bought 6k of them).

I did go out to the range again last Wednesday.  

My M&P with standard striker spring was getting 1-3 FtFs per magazine (17rds).  And yes, they fired second go 'round.

I bought a heavier striker spring, 6.5lbs, and that reduced the FtF to 0-1 per mag. All but one of these fired second time, one was completely dead.

So the heavier spring worked better but not perfect.

I also tried 100 in .45 for my 1911 and those all worked just fine.

View Quote
The anvil on the SA primers are flush with the cup.

CCI (and the other domestic I have ) primers the anvil sticks out just a bit.  This allows more forgiveness to not seating the primer fully.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:35:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#46]
I loaded up 100rds of 9mm in range pick up brass with the SyA SPPs a couple nights back. I could feel a distinct difference between the SyA small pistol primers and the Rem 1.5s I used during the same reloading session. The SyA felt like they took just a little more force to seat in the primer pocket.

I have not gotten to the range with them yet, but plan to test in an AR9 with a G SSA FCG, a Glock 17.4 that’s OEM save for a Ghost 3.5lb disconnector, and a Platypus 2011.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:13:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#47]
Finally got a chance to get out and collect some chrono data on my Rem 1.5 vs SyA primer loads.

You'll notice the rounds primed with SyA are 20thou shorter. I loaded up 500rds with the Rem 1.5s at 1.140" and my new Platypus 2011 didn't like that, so I bumped it down to 1.120" and loaded 300rds with the Rem 1.5 for the Platypus and left that seating depth for the 100rds of SyA primed rounds I loaded at the end of the session. Going forward my 147gr RN OAL will be 1.110" to give me some wiggle room on a dirty Platypus chamber.

BL: I see no appreciable difference in the SyA vs Rem 1.5 primers. They did feel like they needed a touch more pressure to fully seat them in the range pick-up brass I have, but nothing too egregious. I fired 30 of the 100rds I loaded and had no issues with failure to fire. The SyA actually gave some tighter ES/SD numbers in the three pistols, but with the seating depth change and the fact that I'm using range pick-up brass I wouldn't want to hang my hat on that being a trend just yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Thank you for the report!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I did see a slight increase in velocity going from Winchester SPP to the SYA's.  Gun used was a stock P320, and velocities measured with a Labradar.

Winchester SPP, 4.6gr of HP-38
1111, 1117, 1132, 1110, 1120.  SD was 7.9.

SYA SPP, 4.6gr of HP-38
1120, 1131, 1153, 1167, 1142.  SD was 16.4
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Top Top