Brass ejection:

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
End result for those at work?
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool thanks for posting.  I'm just curious how you liked the Tavor?  It appeared you were engaging some very distant targets with the Aimpoint red dot.  Do you feel you were handicapped by the Tavor trigger and RDS compared to a low power optic and AR trigger?  

It appears you were able to engage targets as effectively as the other shooter using the AR-15.  I was surprised how long each stage was and the number of rounds expended.  I could see where the balance of the Tavor might help in a stage requiring so many targets, might this be Tavor strength?
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm curious about a coupe of things.

Why is the rifle laying on  pile of tires rather than slung?  Is this the procedure at these events?  Was there something wrong with your sight?  Iron sights up too?  What ranges were the target?   Like I said, I'm curious.  

Getting a flat zero on the Tavor is not as easy as the M4/AR15.  With M855 Ball a 100 yard zero runs low by about 1-1/2" at 50 yards but that's not a bad hold over.  From 60 to 200 yards the bullet stays within 1 inch of line of sight so no aiming point adjustment is necessary there.  With a 2 MOA dot the bullet stays inside the dot in that range too.

-- Chuck
The guy who designs the stage can decide starting position and if magazine inserted, loaded, chambered or not and so on. Slings are not required for this match. Targets were about 20 yards to 300 depending on stage.

That's a 4 moa Aimpoint and my poor eyes usually turn it into double dots and fireworks explosions (The 2 moa Aimpoint actually looks worse to me). The irons helped with that and on Stage One I turned the Aimpoint down and then almost off to clear up the irons. Front sight was blurry too.  Unfortunately the front sight needs to be 20" away before it's not a blur too. 14 1/2" and 16" AR's have the same problem for me. Zero was 50 yards.

To make matters worse, the targets on Stage One were painted orange

I'll look into the 100 yard zero. On the offset challenge I was holding 5 or 6 inches high, or it at least seemed like that.

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Cool thanks for posting.  I'm just curious how you liked the Tavor?  It appeared you were engaging some very distant targets with the Aimpoint red dot.  Do you feel you were handicapped by the Tavor trigger and RDS compared to a low power optic and AR trigger?  

It appears you were able to engage targets as effectively as the other shooter using the AR-15.  I was surprised how long each stage was and the number of rounds expended.  I could see where the balance of the Tavor might help in a stage requiring so many targets, might this be Tavor strength?

The precision required on the long range stages is always a problem for red dots. The quickest shooters usually run a magnified optic. For short range stages the RDS is often the fastest. With basic optics you usually excel on two stages and suffer on two. It's the same issue no matter what the rifle. You learn to work around the weaknesses of your system. I just wanted to see how well I could run the Tavor with a RDS this time around.

I unhooked the extra trigger return spring to reduce the weight. It still is too much for me compared to my standard AR's that I don't do any trigger mods to. The less support I have, like kneeling or standing, the more wobbly the rifle is as I pull the trigger. It was a noticeable problem.

With equal optics and equal trigger a Tavor should be no different in this match than an AR15. This match is not setup as a CQB match so it's not a place the Tavor's SBR-like advantages will be noticeable.  Next time (Sept) I'll probably try an ACOG.

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the thorough reply.  Always glad to hear others observations.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#8]

I sighted-in an little ACOG yesterday. This is probably what I'll run in it in Sept:

My friend Rick wanted to see how the Tavor compared to an AUG:

He also did some left handed shooting. The Tavor ejection was so soft in comparison to the AUG that he eventually inched his face forward until it covered the ejection port. The result was his tactical beard twice caused the brass to bounce back inside the rifle and cause a stoppage. I have video but it came out so poor I probably won't upload it. This mangled brass was a result:

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He also did some left handed shooting. The Tavor ejection was so soft in comparison to the AUG that he eventually inched his face forward until it covered the ejection port. The result was his tactical beard twice caused the brass to bounce back inside the rifle and cause a stoppage.

BWAHAHA, that's the manliest gun malfunction I've ever heard of!
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately it wasn't really a test to see how far up I could get my face it was a test to see if I could place my face where it would naturally be when fired support side. Fortunately TFs optic had a large eyebox. I am interested in one, but would prefer a 1-4 or 1-6 on the rifle which would typically have a much smaller eyebox.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top