Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2014 5:33:30 PM EDT
Saw one at the local range, wound up chatting, helping get his new M21 sighted in, and we swapped for a few shots.  
I shot maybe 20 rounds through the Tavor.

Pic for comparison; the Tavor is a very small bit shorter, perhaps 1/2", mainly due to the longer flash hider on the AUG.  

It's an interesting gun, and definite thanks to the owner for letting me shoot a few.  
The M21 with bullseye reticle is, well, sort of gigantic.  I like the optic itself, but can definitely see why people prefer the triangle.  I had some 10x17" reactive targets, so set up a pair of them on their side so with a 17" wide target @25 yards, the outer portion of the bullseye reticle encompassed roughly 2/3rds to 3/4 of the width of the target.  The bullseye/center dot itself covered the 1" target bullseye completely, so guessing it's probably ~5MOA center dot.  Probably very decent for real CQB, but pretty tough the further out you get.  

Initial impression first time lifting the Tavor w/M21, vs my A3 w/Pete's A2-ish rail, VX6 1-6 and rings is the Tavor is heavier.  I'm not sure if it's really heavier, or weight distribution being possibly more forward, but it was noticeable on first picking it up.
The built-in irons looked like they're insanely high, but gives a pretty good picture in use (I didn't shoot it this way, but shouldered a few times w/irons to check it out).  Aside from the sling mount getting in the way, it shouldered pretty well, with irons..we put the M21 on and sighted it in at the range.  I could see it needing a riser for some optics.

I could probably adjust to the mag release; it moves fairly lightly.  The bolt release doesn't seem in the best spot, sort of like an afterthought.  Not sure if you can keep a thumb extended as you load a new mag, and manage to seat the mag followed by 'no or little shift' to release the bolt, or not.  
The rear sling mount isn't in a great spot - it sticks out enough to get caught up in my sweater, would definitely relocate it to the right hand side (as a righty).  
Trigger is heavy, noticeably so vs my OE AUG pack + Neu-trigger.  The owner knew about, but didn't remove the 'extra' spring.  

Inserting a mag into the Tavor was interesting - no audible or tactile mag lock-in like I'm used to, so I think we both were giving 'an extra' tap to make sure it was seated fully.  

I like the fore-arm on the Tavor, it's the right size, right location, right width.  I'm not so sure on the charging handle..it never bothered me in pictures, but it as well as the AUG both call out for folding changing handles, IMO.  

Shooting it seemed to have a bit more recoil vs the AUG, not sure why, maybe it's bore position, dunno.  It's still a .223, so it's not a huge difference, but it was there, at least to me.
The owner commented about the AUG feeling lighter and the trigger difference, as well.  

Looking at them side by side, it's like Beauty and the Beast, or a Block (at least the rear half of the gun; I like the forearm)
Shouldering and shooting each, who cares what they look like?  They both shoulder well.
I wouldn't mind spending some more time with one with a different optic.
For me, no regrets at all on the AUG, but I could see someone being happy with either firearm.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing.  What scope do you have on your AUG?  What height rings?

I am thinking of doing that to my NATO but I am on the fence about the factory optic.

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing.  What scope do you have on your AUG?  What height rings?

I am thinking of doing that to my NATO but I am on the fence about the factory optic.

View Quote

Optic is a Leupold VX6 Multi-gun.  Great optic overall, daylight visible dot, auto-off and auto-on for the dot, just wish it's markings were in .5 or 1 mil increments vs 2.5.  
It's sitting on one of Pete's A2-ish rails at the moment, which is Steyr military height, ~1/4" taller than OE A3, so had to go even shorter on the rings to compensate.  The rings are .97" Seekins Precision rings.  On a standard A3 rail, I'd be using 1.25" rings (vs the ~1.5" +/- for typical AR one piece mounts).
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
M21 bullseye reticle, center dot is 4.5 MOA, iirc.

Link to M21 reticle
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I was at the Great Outdoors Show last week and IWI was there...it was my first time handling the Tavor and my first impression was it was a heavy bullpup.  I like some of the features to the Tavor, but I doubt I would purchase one.  I am a huge bullpup fan, but the Tavor didn't impress me as I hoped for in this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was at the Great Outdoors Show last week and IWI was there...it was my first time handling the Tavor and my first impression was it was a heavy bullpup.
View Quote

I know this sounds ridiculous, but it "feels" heavier than it really is.  I don't know if it's just the bullpup balance, but I thought the same thing the first time I shouldered one.  It's not really any heavier than a similarly equipped AR or AUG or whatever, but it feels like it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know this sounds ridiculous, but it "feels" heavier than it really is.  I don't know if it's just the bullpup balance, but I thought the same thing the first time I shouldered one.  It's not really any heavier than a similarly equipped AR or AUG or whatever, but it feels like it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was at the Great Outdoors Show last week and IWI was there...it was my first time handling the Tavor and my first impression was it was a heavy bullpup.

I can buy this.  At one point, I was swapping the AUG and Tavor from hand to hand..I think they're of similar weight within reason, but the Tavor's balance point is a bit more forward of the grip, making it feel 'heavier' vs the AUG when picking it up, or shouldered (less but still a difference b/c of weight distribution).  Hanging as free weight, both should be lighter, of course.

I know we've got at least a few out there with both guns - agree on disagree on weight distribution?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can buy this.  At one point, I was swapping the AUG and Tavor from hand to hand..I think they're of similar weight within reason, but the Tavor's balance point is a bit more forward of the grip, making it feel 'heavier' vs the AUG when picking it up, or shouldered (less but still a difference b/c of weight distribution).  Hanging as free weight, both should be lighter, of course.

I know we've got at least a few out there with both guns - agree on disagree on weight distribution?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to be a dick, but let's not be wishy washy.  Which one did you like the best?  I know each has it's advantages and disadvantages but if you had to spend money one just one, which would it be?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I was committed to the AUG's before the Tavor came out. But was open to replacing the AUG with the Tavor if it really was what it was rumored and thought to be.

I REALLY wanted to love the Tavor. In GD, I had a 21 page thread that lasted over a year and a half... a thread dedicated solely to the Tavor.

When I got mine (which was in the first batch of 16" FDE that went out), it honestly did nothing for me.
Surely many here have read my comparison of the Tavor v AUG, so you know how I feel about it.

The Tavor is a nice gun, but the AUG is better.
I can't answer for RTP, but as for myself and owning both at the same time, that is my assessment.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't want to be a dick, but let's not be wishy washy.  Which one did you like the best?  I know each has it's advantages and disadvantages but if you had to spend money one just one, which would it be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, l thought it was obvious when I mentioned zero regrets.  
AUG for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Tavor and an Aug, and my impression of the balance is completely opposite of what I see posted here.  The Tavor seems to have more rear weight distribution than the Aug.  If you pick the Tavor up with one hand on the grip, this make it seem heavier, right up until you have it shouldered.  The Tavor is so rear-end heavy that once it is shouldered, it feels like you could hold it in firing position one handed for a long time since the hand is supporting so little weight at that point.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Own and shoot both

The AUGs machined aluminum receiver, which sits primarily over the strong
hand adds weight directly over the pistol grip. Combined with a heavier barrel profle and the piston
assembly affixed to the arrel makes it nose heavy.

The Tavor by design has pretty much everything in the rear of the rifle. A thinner barrel profile also offers better balance..
(This is comparing 16 inch barrell AUG / Tavors)

I also prefer the Tavors flat butt stock pad over the angled AUG's.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone noticed a difference in recoil/muzzle rise between both?  I own an MSAR but have not shot a tavor yet, so I'm curious if there is a different "feeling" between the two.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I shot the AUG and Tavor side-by-side recently, they both shoot and feel great and I can't really say anything bad about either of them. Personally I own the AUG A3 because I like the overall design more among other minor reasons.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has anyone noticed a difference in recoil/muzzle rise between both?  I own an MSAR but have not shot a tavor yet, so I'm curious if there is a different "feeling" between the two.
View Quote

Felt like more recoil/muzzle rise on the Tavor to me as I noted, but it may be as simple as .223 vs 5.56 ammo, or minor geometry differences.
So yes, it felt 'different,' but can't completely qualify it, but we've got a few guys in the thread that have or have had both at one point, maybe they can confirm with same ammo across both.
It's .223, neither one feels 'bad' shooting it.  If the AUG didn't exist, I'd be interested in the Tavor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top