Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2013 6:17:01 AM EDT
Just an FYI for those who want to save time and money if you are building a PDW.

I did NOT list all of the equipment I had on it because there were too many evolutions to explain. If you have questions about specific accessories, please ask, I can assure you I probably used them before going to this final configuration. Besides, it is why I created this thread.

After years of trail and error, the Colt 9mm PDW is finally completed.

Started out as a Colt LE 6420 9mm 16" carbine. I had Lee at Centermass Firearms in Henderson NV covert it to an SBR. After the NFA paperwork cleared and I was finally able to pick it up, the process really began.

I had Mr McWillis from TROS add the 3 lug adapter to accommodate The Gemtech raptor on the 10" barrel. I was unhappy with the length and sound suppression so shorter I went. My main concern was the loss of terminal ballistics, the shorter I went. I finally settled on the TROS 5" barrel. The accuracy and terminal ballistics is beyond acceptable at 75m. The sound suppression has become optimal with Fiocchi 147 gr ball. The upper (Garrison) was also switched out to accommodate the Adams Samson rail system.

Due to the overall length, I went with the HK MP7 sights. They enable a pistol sight if the PDW had to be fired like a handgun and flip up sights to be used otherwise. I am searching for a mount that is see through to optimize the handgun sight application. I have a JPoint sight I used in Iraq. banged up but I know it works well and have trigger time behind it.

The Gasbuster charging handle has helped tremendously with the shorter barrel with back blast. The Magpul PDW grip also has thinned and shortened the package down without sacrificing manipulation control. the original Colt stock seemed to be the smallest made, so I went with that option.

Lastly, the KAC hand stop only seemed necessary for a safety point.        

The only accessory upgrade I am looking for is a see through mount so the handgun sights could be utilized. I think the mount probably will have to be milled out in the end.

I hope this helps you guys that are putting one together. Best of luck with your projects!

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks SA-WEET!

Just a thought, you could do the 45 degree mount for the red dot if you wanted a clear un-obstructed view of the BUIS, otherwise, the mill out would make most sense.

my .02
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Sick...as in sweet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looks SA-WEET!

Just a thought, you could do the 45 degree mount for the red dot if you wanted a clear un-obstructed view of the BUIS, otherwise, the mill out would make most sense.

my .02

The 45 dgree offset adds onto the height and is a bit awkward to turn the gun for initial target engagements.

I found this to not be an issue when I was using an ACOG as a primary sight (M4) and using the offset as a backup but is awkard the other way around.

V
OUT

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool little PDW.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks nice !
If you can locate a machine shop to machine the buffer tube back And trim the stock. And re thread it. You can have it even shorter.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I am waiting for LWRC to do their thing with their stock and make it available.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks sweet.  I have a DDLES lower that I have been thinking of tossing a Form 1 in the mail for.  I'm thinking either 5" like yours, or 6".  Nice build!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I love PDWs! Nice weapon there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That looks sweet.  I have a DDLES lower that I have been thinking of tossing a Form 1 in the mail for.  I'm thinking either 5" like yours, or 6".  Nice build!

If you go longer than the 5.5" you run the risk of losing lots of suppression when you shoot your can.

V
OUT

Link Posted: 3/8/2013 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The 9mm round was designed around a 5" barrel anyway, nice rig OP!

mine
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 2:31:17 AM EDT
[#12]
REALLY nice work. I love it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]
My 9mm DDLES project started life as a PDW:

However, since I got my Octane-9 I no longer shoot it unsuppressed, so I decided to replace the pistol length handguard with a carbine length one.  Both rails are YHM, so they share the same barrel nut - switching them out only takes a minute or two.  Heh, it takes longer to switch out the rail covers, sights, and grip than it does the rail.

I also have a Spectre length YHM rail, but I think that starts to make the carbine look a bit too lopsided on the front:

-bob
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you go longer than the 5.5" you run the risk of losing lots of suppression when you shoot your can.

V
OUT

Why is there any more noise? Is it just because of some rounds picking up velocity and going supersonic?
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#15]
NICE!! I've always wanted to build a 9mm PDW. Well done!
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pretty cool little PDW.

Yes
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 2:28:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
OUT

Why is there any more noise? Is it just because of some rounds picking up velocity and going supersonic?

Yes

V
OUT
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice!  It reminds me of one of my all-time favorites...

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Very nice!  It reminds me of one of my all-time favorites...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2460442205_f71e9922a5.jpg?v=0

That's pretty sweet.

Does the butt stock plate make it a SBR or is it still a pistol?

And can you use any pistol lower or does it have to be 9mm marked?

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Barrel length with stock makes it an S B R.

V

Out
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#21]
what can you tell me about the garrison upper, I think I remember hearing of them before but when I googled them I didn't get nothing
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I put the K-grip on my 9mm SBR. It is used by the entire family and they like the short grip. Works for all of us. Nice build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top