Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2007 7:08:44 PM EDT
I would like to add a high quality representative of a .308 battle rifle to my collection.  From my web reading it seems that the Fulton Armory M14 type rifles and the DSA FAL type rifles are at or near the best of breed of their types.

Anyone have any comments or discussion to shape my decision between the two.  It will be a shooter, not a safe queen.  Probably a little hunting action thrown in as well.  Barring catastrophe, it will also probably be a rifle that I will plan to keep for the rest of my life and pass along to my daughters.

Right now, I'm leaning a little towards the FAL, but thats probably just because I'm used to black AR's.

Thanks.

PS. Not trolling, I'm going to post this in both forums.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Handle both, see which one you like better.

Personally I find the sights and ergonomics of the FAL to be lacking.

BTW - if you decide to go M14, go LRB.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
you're going to get a lot of biased opinions in here, including mine.

That said, I'd reccomend the M14.  it's accurate, utterly reliable, and can either be gorgeous to look at, or you can put it in a sage stock.  

There are also a lot more gunsmiths who are familiar with the M14 than there are who are as intimately familiar with the FAL.... IMO
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same dilemma.  I chose the Springfield M1A, can't afford a Fulton (maybe someday, we'll see how the SAI works out).

I'll probably never a switch to the FAL, but if funds permit I'd love to have both someday!

Both rifles are excellent, and when the U.S. military trials tested them both I think it ended in mostly a dead heat.  I think the M14 got the nod mostly because it is "home grown".

Israel wasn't completely satisfied with the FAL, some jamming problems due to sand.  However, Texas is not Israel and this would not likely be any concern to you whatsever.  I wasn't too worried about getting one to use in Wisconsin!

Get the one that feels good in your hands, the one with the right ergonomics for YOU and that you feel confident with.

When you're deciding between the M1A and the FAL, there really is no "wrong" decision!

Link Posted: 1/30/2007 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I notice no AR10 in this fight.

I have the uncanny decision between the three of them, so we will just call this a tag in progress.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I notice no AR10 in this fight.

I have the uncanny decision between the three of them, so we will just call this a tag in progress.

Actually, I thought about and drooled over a Knight's Armament SR-25 for a while, but I think the wife might put me out with the dog for dropping that kind of coin before my kids college is paid for.

Is Armalite's version in the same quality league as the DSA and Fulton-Armory??  I honestly don't know as I have never handled/researched one of their weapons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]

BTW - if you decide to go M14, go LRB.

Uh-oh.  That looks like a contender as well.  Are they everything their website says?
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both types. I have a Springfield Armory M1A and a Springfield Armory SAR-48 Match. I have yet to fire either for fine accuracy (mostly plinking around), but they both shoot great! I think my M1A w/ the Sage stock feels more ackward, but the trigger is better. As soon as I get my scope mounted on my M1A, I'm gonna buy one for the SAR-48 (money permiting). Then I'll get down to accuracy. Just my two cents. Good luck!!hker71
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
avslash,

My opinion is to go for the Fulton - I just purchased a Sevice Grade this month and it's the shit. FYI...Clint McKee personally builds each and every M14 by hand and is extremely picky about doing it right - it's either good to go or not. Also, check out his book - you'll be amazed at what he does when he builds his rifles.

Regards,

Sakic #19http://www.fulton-armory.com/STDM14-600_50.jpg

http://www.fulton-armory.com/Book117CoverStroked-400_50.jpg

Link Posted: 1/31/2007 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Well at least I won't get into a heated debate with Hoakie over this one

M-14 hands down. Accurate, reliable and fuckin' sexy.

The FAL only gets a +1 for cheaper magazines, otherwise personally the M-14 excels at everything else.
How about an AR-10
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Personally, the exterior finish work of the Fulton receiver is not up to par for what they charge. No matter how nice the internals are, the outside is what shows and is a constant reminder of the big bucks you paid for the thing.
I had a Bush type Fulton, and while I didn't get rid of because of the crap machining, it is about the only reason I don't really regret letting it go.

I think an LRB will be my next '14 type.

And BTW, FAL v. M14 is all personal preferance. But the '14 rules.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#12]

heres my .02

i find that being really particular to ARs after owning them for so long, that i cant get used to any other type of rifle or shotgun with a pistol grip- butt stock.  im so use to the size and feel of an AR, that i would never be able to adapt to an FAL

but, when i have an M1A with a standard stock in my grip, it feels perfect.

that being said, if the FAL feels best, go with it, but you cant overlook the beauty and reliability of an M1A

Link Posted: 1/31/2007 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
From my web reading it seems that the Fulton Armory M14 type rifles and the DSA FAL type rifles are at or near the best of breed of their types.

Amen to that brother.  Don't rule out the Armalite AR-10T either.  I *was* stuck on a FAL but at that price range an AR-10 might fit the bill better.

KAC was going to sell the Mk11 Mod0 but I don't think so anymore.  Tough call, I'd prefer the smooth recoil of an AR system.  Good choices either way.

-Moco
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#15]
M1A for out and about hunting...Para FAL for the truck cab.  

Because when you absolutely...positively have to kill every mother fuckin hog in TX!
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I would recommend getting both, maybe even two of each

Link Posted: 1/31/2007 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Heft both, shoot both, buy what you feel best with.

edit: In my case it is the M14 platform. Shot one at a CMP class and fell in love with it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't say much about FAL's because I've only fired one once, and all I really remember is that I didn't like the trigger and the sights were flimsy.

I have a Fulton M14, and it's a stone-reliable, accurate, fabulously well-balanced hunk of classic walnut and steel. It's weak point is that there's no way to mount optics without making it awkward and clumsy. After a couple attempts, I've given up and just settled for the best iron sights ever made.

Last but not least, the M14 looks enough like a "real" rifle that I'm not embarrassed to be seen hunting with it. I baptized it on a moose, and it's my "rain gun" during deer season.

Link Posted: 1/31/2007 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#19]
After several hundred rounds of mil-spec 7.62 through my 14, I'm ready for more. After a single mag through one of my friend's DSA FAL, my cheek and jaw hurt. Kinda like the HK/CETME, only it has a bolt release.

Just handle both and see what feels best.

It was the M14 for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#20]
One other thing to consider..parts/mag availabilty...Fal parts and G3 parts/mags are readily available, and cheap, most parts for M14 clones are not. I bought 30 nearly new mags for my PTR-91 for less than what 2 USGI M14 mags cost. Factor in the DUmmies in Washington, and you can see which is the bargin right now. I had a M14 clone, (polytech) and had the bolt conversion done, alot of GI parts added, still  it had  some major chinese parts left, op-rod, gas cylinder and piston, barrel.  These parts are a major expense to replace, the op-rod being worst to replace, as no replacement parts exist for chinese clones so a modified USGI op-rod would have to be used, I began to look at it as a future money pit, and sold it for a profit, bought a PRT-91 it's as accurate as any stock M14,  reliable, no gas system to set ,or clean, or worry about, and before anyone starts harping about the lack of a bolt release I would add this type of rifle was used by around 30-40 diffrent countrys, how many used the M14?  2? Hmmm, I'm not bashing the M14 platform, I really enjoyed the polytech while I had it. but what galls my ass the most is that just about any surplus part found for M 14's nowadays is going for extremely high prices and they're just not worth it. There are other .308 semi-autos that shoot as well, are as, or more reliable, and more battle proven than the M14. This is of course is just MY opinion, I would if I were you, after doing some more research, shoot both if possible, and compare notes Keep the parts availabilty thing in mind, this may come into play down the road and may make the diffrence between simply buying needed parts replacing them or selling it cheap because you can't find or afford the parts..    
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I think after much consideration I'll be going the M14 route.  Its something different from the black plastic I'm used to and that is starting to appeal to me.

Also, came across a picture of my dad, who I thought was about the best guy in the world, standing beside his UH1B in Vietnam holding a (yep you guessed it) his M14.  I know he was there in '66 and '67 and remember him telling me he never handled a M16 before he left.

Finally, its American, dammit.  That still counts with me.

Now for the next question, and I guess I'll start a  new thread to solicit opinions.

Fulton Armory or the LRB as a previous poster suggested.

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think after much consideration I'll be going the M14 route.  Its something different from the black plastic I'm used to and that is starting to appeal to me.

Also, came across a picture of my dad, who I thought was about the best guy in the world, standing beside his UH1B in Vietnam holding a (yep you guessed it) his M14.  I know he was there in '66 and '67 and remember him telling me he never handled a M16 before he left.

Now for the next question, and I guess I'll start a  new thread to solicit opinions.

LRB
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Fulton
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top