Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2010 10:25:27 AM EDT

Awhile back, I decided it was time to put a scope on my M1A. I’d always wanted an ACOG, so this seemed like a logical time to buy one, despite the fact that everyone told me the two would not be a good match due to the ACOG’s relatively short eye relief and how high the ACOG would sit. Undeterred, I decided I’d find a way to make it work. I initially wanted a TA31 due to its wider field of vision. I instead chose a TA33R-9 due to its increased eye relief and lighter weight. The fact that it had a .308 BDC also made it a more logical choice.

Knowing that the ACOG would sit high, I decided to buy a low sitting mount. I went with the ARMS 18 mount. I’d heard of people having problems with stove pipes, so I shot my M1A with the ARMS 18 mount attached before I bought the ACOG. Not a single stove pipe! I figured I was good to go in the mount department. I saved up my pennies, bought the TA33R-9 and figured I was good to go.

When I put the ACOG on, it was immediately obvious (as you can see from the above pic) that I would need some kind of a cheek riser to get a decent cheek weld, and that I would have to put my face pretty far forward to get a good sight picture. Unfortunately, my problems didn’t end there. When I got around to shooting the rig, I had about a 20 percent stove pipe rate. What happened? I was shooting the same ammo as last time, so I couldn’t understand why the problem was surfacing. That night I cleaned my rifle, and it became obvious what happened. The spent casings weren’t getting stuck on the ARMS 18 mount, but were hitting the ACOG base!  The brass was hitting the mount and not making it out. I figured this out when I saw that there were some small brass colored gouges in the base of the ACOG mount. Not only was the rifle stove piping, but over time the ACOG mount would be ruined through regular use. There isn’t enough real estate on the ARMS 18 mount that I could move the ACOG to a position where it wouldn’t get tagged by the spent brass. If I had been using traditional scope rings, the ARMS mount would have worked fine. But the ACOG mount was just too long. It looked like I was going back to the drawing board.

As you can seen in this pic, there's not a whole lot of room for the ACOG to go. Putting it forward only exasperates the eye relief issue.

I looked into getting both the Sage EBR and Troy MCS stocks. These would help with the issues of the ACOG sitting too high and too far forward. But with the EBR I’d still need another scope mount. This was starting to get a bit pricey. Plus, I like feel of the M1A stock I already have. I did manage to stumble across the Troy Battle Rail. Primarily of interest was the fact that I could move the ACOG back a bit further towards my eye than before. Not only would this help with eye relief, but it should move the ACOG back far enough that it doesn’t get tagged with spent brass. I bought the Battle Rail and was pretty pleased with the construction. The height of the ACOG was still an issue. I could get a good sight picture when using a chin weld.

Finally, last week I bought TNVC’s cheek riser. I shoot long guns left handed so I appreciated that there was a version to accommodate me. The TVNC was the final piece of the puzzle. The riser feels rock solid, and I actually have a cheek weld while looking through my ACOG now. It doesn’t feel like I’m putting my face against an aftermarket product, but against the stock itself. It’s that solid! The mag pouch and pocket for shooting notes are also nice benefits.

All, in all, I'm pleased with this set-up. Some would say I made the platform into something it wasn't meant to be. And to be honest, I don't even like to think about how much money I spent on this setup. But, as someone who is a fan of John Garand's prodigy and its descendants, it was worth it. Hats off to Trijicon, TNVC and Troy for making such great products!

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All, in all, I'm pleased with this set-up.

That's all that really matters, although I would not say I happen to like it. I think it adds way too much weight and bulk for what you get.

Isn't there a mount that will allow you to bring that ACOG down close to the ARMS, and thus allow you to ditch the Troy and the cheekpad?

But hey, if it works for you, go out and have fun!
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All, in all, I'm pleased with this set-up.

That's all that really matters, although I would not say I happen to like it. I think it adds way too much weight and bulk for what you get.

Isn't there a mount that will allow you to bring that ACOG down close to the ARMS, and thus allow you to ditch the Troy and the cheekpad?

But hey, if it works for you, go out and have fun!

There was an ACOG specific M1A mount I saw floating around that would have been good if I'd wanted to use a Sage stock.  It would have been low, but still probably too far forward.  If you want to keep you old M1A stock (and I really did), I don't know of a better combination than what I've got.  I spent a lot of time with a ruler estimating eye relief and what not.  I do like the set-up, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't.  When you're taking off a rifle's flash suppressor so you can properly mount a scope, you know you're doing things to a gun it was never meant to do.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I still think these are the two best solutions out there.

GDI R-COM ACOG mount on an ARMS 18 base.  Detachable for irons.  Though you might run into trouble with the shell casings hitting the R-COM mount agillig.  As you did above with the stock ACOG mount.  

Or the Smith Enterprise ACOG mount.  Not detachable for irons.

Lowest and farthest back setups you'll find.  You might find something that puts the scope lower, but it'll be too forward.  You might find something that could put the scope back farther, but it'll be super high.   I haven't seen anything better than these two.  If I was going ACOG on the m14 I'd be finding an SEI mount.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top