Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2012 8:05:01 PM EDT
was thinking about putting a trijicon accupoint 3x9 with an rmr piggybacked ontop once my MCS stock comes in... anybody have this set up whats your feelings?
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two of those scopes and like them a lot.

I also have a couple of M1As.

IMO the two shouldn't meet.  The M1A/M14 is just a poor optic platform.  It is stellar with irons, and IMO the way to keep the rifle.  I tried scoping, learned my lesson, and when back to irosn.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

IMO the two shouldn't meet.  The M1A/M14 is just a poor optic platform.  It is stellar with irons, and IMO the way to keep the rifle.  I tried scoping, learned my lesson, and when back to irosn.

There are ways to successfully mount optics on Sprinfield Inc. M1As. One is to have the Sadlak mount custom fitted to your rifle, the other is to use the Bassett Machine single point mount. The Sadlak is heavier but sturdier, and the Bassett just plain works. Go over to m14forums and go to the optics section, there are a lot of good reads about how to mount optics on a Springfield receiver.

In my experience, avoid the ARMS and Springfield made mounts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are ways to successfully mount optics on Sprinfield Inc. M1As. One is to have the Sadlak mount custom fitted to your rifle, the other is to use the Bassett Machine single point mount. The Sadlak is heavier but sturdier, and the Bassett just plain works. Go over to m14forums and go to the optics section, there are a lot of good reads about how to mount optics on a Springfield receiver.

The ARMS #18 mount is by far my favorite receiver mount, because it sits quite a bit lower than the other options available. The ARMS mount, however, is designed to fit a mil-spec M14 receiver (as is the Sadlack...that's why you need Sadlack to fit it to a Springfield). I have never got an ARMS mount to fit properly on a Springfield M1A. From my understanding and research, the Springfield receiver is not cast to mil-spec dimensions in certain areas.

I do have ARMS #18 mounts on 2 LRB receivers, which are forged to mil-spec. The mounts fit perfectly and have held perfect zero for 6 years on 1 of my LRBs and 4 years on my other LRB. I have never had to make a single adjustment to either mount since the day they were installed. And I have shot thousands of rounds through these 2 rilfes.

Below are my LRBs with the ARMS mounts. Compare these pictures to any other M14 mount and you will see the mount is much lower, which means a much better cheek weld:

ARMS #18, Trijicon TR24, ARMS #22 QD Low Rings

ARMS #18, Bushnell Elite 10x40, Warne Maxima Steel Low Rings

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Anything I have that works, needs a cheek riser. I think all the info you will ever want has already been posted here and over at M14 Forums.

Like the Garand, the rifle was just made for iron sights and they are top notch.

Here is as close as I can find in my stuff with pics available. You want the scope as low as possible.

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:08:46 AM EDT
[#5]
i'm also trying to decide if i want to put a scope on my m1a.

i was given a really nice old burris 4x-12x ao mini scope and that rifle would be the only rifle i have to put that scope on.

i also have read that m1a is better with the irons.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on the Sadlak inspection kit.

I have a Sadlak on my personal rifle and have installed them on three other M1A's.  Mine has been rock solid going on five years now.

The new M14/M1A CASM® scope mount looks interesting.

Like the Garand the M1A irons are the best, hence the need for two M1A's.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

i was given a really nice old burris 4x-12x ao mini scope and that rifle would be the only rifle i have to put that scope on.

Obey the Rule of Twos.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obey the Rule of Twos.  

sorry, did a quick google search in reference to optics and "rule of twos" and i don't know what that means.

would you elaborate?
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The Rule of Twos means you have two of each kind of firearm.  That doesn't mean pairs of twins necessarily but two of the same type like a Standard M1A and a M1A Scout  Squad.  Complying with the Rule of Twos means you always have a spare firearm of each type for SHTF, Zombie Apocalypse, the Perfect Storm, etc.  Furthermore, the Rule of Twos enables you to meet your mission specific requirements because you can configure each as you wish without being conflicted.  For example, you could have a commercial M14 in a Sage EBR stock with a Leupold scope to satisfy the urge for modernity and pair it with a plain Jane standard M1A in a walnut stock for those times you like to go old school at the rifle range.  Multiples of the Rule of Twos are encouraged.  Think of the Rule of Twos as bringing balance and harmony to your passion of firearms.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Get both, it's the only way to go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Rule of Twos means you have two of each kind of firearm.  That doesn't mean pairs of twins necessarily but two of the same type like a Standard M1A and a M1A Scout  Squad.  Complying with the Rule of Twos means you always have a spare firearm of each type for SHTF, Zombie Apocalypse, the Perfect Storm, etc.  Furthermore, the Rule of Twos enables you to meet your mission specific requirements because you can configure each as you wish without being conflicted.  For example, you could have a commercial M14 in a Sage EBR stock with a Leupold scope to satisfy the urge for modernity and pair it with a plain Jane standard M1A in a walnut stock for those times you like to go old school at the rifle range.  Multiples of the Rule of Twos are encouraged.  Think of the Rule of Twos as bringing balance and harmony to your passion of firearms.

gotcha.

can't afford two m1a's though.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said he is going MCS, so it will have a rail the entire length of the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anything I have that works, needs a cheek riser. I think all the info you will ever want has already been posted here and over at M14 Forums.

Like the Garand, the rifle was just made for iron sights and they are top notch.

Here is as close as I can find in my stuff with pics available. You want the scope as low as possible.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/brookschristopher/MK14%20MOD1/DSC01172.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/brookschristopher/MK14%20MOD1/DSC01205.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/brookschristopher/MK14%20MOD1/DSC01207.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/brookschristopher/MK14%20MOD1/DSC01209.jpg

i'd love to have one of those stocks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess I didn't learn my lesson, and I am glad.  This seems to be working out nicely:

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

sorry, did a quick google search in reference to optics and "rule of twos" and i don't know what that means.

would you elaborate?

Also Known As (AKA) –– Tandem Disfunctional Disorder.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#16]
well at least i pass the rule of 2's, ive got a scout and the socom II; happy with both but if i had known i was going to end up with the MCS i wouldve probably just bought the 16, thanks for all the input guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top