Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2015 3:53:10 PM EDT
I've thought about the M1A scout's for a long time, and I may be making the move. I like the .308, the overall length, the ability to put a 2-7 power scope on or off without adjusting iron sights, history of the M1 & M14, etc. I just always liked the rifles and always have.

The model in particular that I'd prefer is this new tan version mostly because of what I'd consider to be a better recoil pad. Honestly though if it saved me $100 or more, I'd get the all black stock or even the mossy oak it's really not a big deal to me. Unless someone knows a good reason to chose one stock over the other that I'm not aware of, it'd be whatever the best deal is on them.

For mags, I'm always heard the check mates are the ones to get and they seem to be around $25 each online and that kinda sucks, but if they last forever then I'm ok with making the investment.

For ammo, I'm thinking I'd just run the cheapest I could find for plinking, put a stash of brass cased mil surp 150gr FMJ back for a rainy day, and I'd probably at least play with some match ammo at some point to see how much accuracy I could get out of the rifle.

At some point down the line I like the ability of putting a scope on with quick detach mounts when/if I get tired of iron sights. My plan would be to use the variable burris scout 2-7x scope since it also has a ballistic plex in the reticle and the lower and mid range power of the scope for near and far.

A lot of the ways this rifle looks to me just seems to make a lot of sense. With mags, ammo, optic etc it seems like a very useful package. With everything I've just mentioned in mind for any of you guys who have one of these M1A scouts do you see anywhere that I may be wrong on my expectations on the rifle? Do you have any recommendations like trigger jobs, upgraded parts, different stock or whatever? Anyone have a recommendation for a place to buy one or the mags for one?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The Scout was my 1st M14 type rifle back in '99, loved that rifle.
CMI magazines, shim the gas system, and replace the factory mount & hand guard with the light weight, cool running Scout Hand Guard (SHG). This will allow you to mount the scope as low as possible, and you will not need to add a cheek riser.

http://m14ebr.us/
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine. I had a standard which was amazing, but the Scout is much more handy and easier to lug around.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Recently got a m1a scout squad with walnut stock from a pawnshop of all places. I like walnuts vs the poly it just looks at home on a m1a it quite handy and mags can be found for cheap.mi bought a whole bunch off the ee for $10 each.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I owned a Scout for several years.  Love it!  The only reason that I got rid of it was that I could pack a CAR-15 which I use at the same distance for a lot less of a weight penalty.
I still have my fullsize which I love.
That being said...if you want a Scout you will not be disappointed.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I removed the little rail and notched handguard from my Scout Squad revering it to Bush status.  Never saw any reason for a "scout" mounted telescope a foot from my eye.

These rifles are indeed shorter, but not necessarily handier than full M14 size as they're heavier.  The scout/bush barrel is larger diameter and even though shorter is heavier.  Short barrel benefits from good flash suppression.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p533/chuck_f_s/Service%20Rifles/352877de-5207-472e-aa13-c59b7bde32b1_zps4fffb752.jpg

-- Chuck
View Quote

Re the bit I bolded, I never understood why SA, Inc. did that with their rifles. Seemed like a step backwards to me, having the shorter, should-be-handier gun with the heavier barrel. Defeats a good part of the purpose, IMO.

The JRA "Rock-Ola" M14F with the 19.25" GI-profile barrel has some appeal...but I don't know anything about them, track record, etc. Just seems like a semi-handy compromise, not that I'd complain about a GI-profile 18" tube!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The scout/bush barrel is larger diameter and even though shorter is heavier.  
View Quote

I've never seen this on a factory Scout, or Bush M1A.
All of the ones I've seen had standard weight 18" barrels.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Are the scout rifles really loud when fired?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The .308 is loud, but it does not produce much of a blast if it has a flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I felt it in my teeth.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
When you are as deaf as I am they ain't too bad.

I did call mine...'the jackhammer"....not totally from the feel.  They actually seem to recoil less with that muzzle brake....which does work admirably well.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my M1A Scout!  Walnut stock was the way to go for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Would the 16" socom model have a removable muzzlebreak?  I had my heart set on the scout, but if the socom is just about the same thing and isn't near as noisy than I think I'd be just as happy with one of those.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would the 16" socom model have a removable muzzlebreak?  
View Quote

The factory brake & gas lock front sight base on the Socom are 1-piece.
Replace it with 2 pieces from SEI, the GLFS-D-16 & the muzzle device of your choosing.

I run the Vortex flash hider on my 16.25" in a Blackfeather "RS"
Notice the extra volume gas plug...

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Would the 16" socom model have a removable muzzlebreak?  I had my heart set on the scout, but if the socom is just about the same thing and isn't near as noisy than I think I'd be just as happy with one of those.
View Quote

No, dude.  No you wouldn't.  Trust me: stick with the Scout Squad.   Nothing against the SOCOM but go with your first instinct on this.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the socom and love it.  It is a joy to hunt with the short barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, dude.  No you wouldn't.  Trust me: stick with the Scout Squad.   Nothing against the SOCOM but go with your first instinct on this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with desertmoon on this.  I've shot my Scout right next to a buddy's Socom and the perceived noise level is much higher for the Socom.  I learned my lesson on 16" barreled .308's with a custom barreled FAL, way to noisey.

I was mainly looking at a M1A to fill out my military collection, not something I intended on accessorizing out or anything.   I picked the Scout because I'd never owned one and as much as I like the standard M1A/M14 platform I knew I'd like the shorter barreled version better.  I got it and an almost new M1 Garand in the same day, the Garand got cleaned and lubed and has set in the safe since the next day, I've hardly taken my hands off the Scout and modifying if has taken on a life of it's own.

I started out with the standard, black synthetic stocked SAI Scout and this is it now:

" />

The bipod mount for the front is on the way and I'm researching a rail type mount for a Accu-Shot monopod for the rear of the stock.  I'm also saving my pennies for a SEI Coast Guard/Navy muzzle brake to finish it out.  As far as a scope mount I'd look no further than one from Bassett Machine in Dripping Springs, TX.   I've changed the front sling swivel on the original stock to one with a rail by Versa Pod for mounting a bipod and other than that I'm leaving it alone.

Go with the Scout, you won't be sorry.

Rob

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my scout squad.  Easily my favorite.  I wanted an M1A since I was about 10 years old.  I got the walnut stocked version and immediately chucked the flimsy plastic upper hand guard.  I took off the scout rail and installed a walnut upper hand guard.  Now it looks like a mini Garand with a box magazine.  I have been toying with the idea of putting on Burris' 2-7 scout scope just because a 308 is capable of medium range and the 2-7 scope will help reach out to its outer ranges more easily.  I used to have difficulty inserting a full mag into a locked action but a little practice and I was good to go.  This rifle is every bit as accurate as my girlfriend's 18" Gunsite scout rifle.  I have never had a problem with surplus metal magazines either.  The 18" barrel produces quite a bark though.  I wouldn't even think of shooting this without ear plugs and muffs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#21]
So I'm back to thinking about this M1A scout again.  Most of my concerns revolve are that muzzle break and what it'd take to get a can on the end of the rifle.  More than likely, I'm not going to be running suppressed all the time, but I really like the option of being able to.  It's just one of those things that once you get used to shooting with a can on something that you don't ever want to go back to the old ways.

The can I'm going to buy is a AAC SDN-6 with the intent to also be buying a lot of those muzzle quick attach muzzle devices for multiple guns.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always heard that open bolt designs like the M1 design put a great deal more blowback in the face of the shooter when shooting suppressed.

can anyone compare it to a suppressed AR308?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've always heard that open bolt designs like the M1 design put a great deal more blowback in the face of the shooter when shooting suppressed.

can anyone compare it to a suppressed AR308?
View Quote

Install an M3 breech shield on the M14 and it's hard to differentiate blow-back between it, and an AR308 when suppressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top