Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2013 7:35:14 AM EDT
So now that I have my stock choice ironed out (went with the fixed) I need a weapon light for it.

I am between a surefire dedicated forearm light (used, police trade in) and putting a railed forearm with a vert grip with a light

I am new to the platform.  This will be used for QCB in a police SRT conditions.

Any suggestions welcomed before I drop my own dime on pimping out my police issued weapon.

Thanks, RuKuS
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
if you'll have a suppressor, then the lighted forearm is out (it's hard to find the adapter). if that isn't an option, then the lighted forearm is great.  I like mine, but will be moving it in a half a year when my stamp for my can comes through.

ETA: I bought the surefire lighted forearm, and dropped a Malkoff LED assembly into it.  Brighter, batteries last longer and LED takes abuse better than incandescent.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
no suppressor, just a sbr barrel
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Laser Devices has a LED forearm similar to Surefire that will clear a suppressor if you decide to use one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Surefire forearm pic rail M63 + Surefire scount work fine with the suppressor - but the integrated light fore end will not.  As another stated LDI makes a foreend integration that will work.  

Here is my M63 pic rail.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Surefire rail on my SBR with the Inforce visible/IR WML.
I'm considering adding a thorntail mount to position the light at 2'oclock.
I'm a lefty and feel that it should be easier to activate the light with my thumb in this position.

My situation is of course different than yours, I went with the Inforce light since it is uses a single battery and isn't too bright.
I can swap to a mini-scout if I need a brighter light, I felt the inforce should work nicely inside my residence if needed.
It isn't too bright and the max distance I would be able to use it around 30 feet.
The IR should work for dispatching vermin under NVG if needed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a wide forearm you can simply attach a short section of Magpul MOE rail by drilling a couple of holes and you can attach pretty much anything you want.  This would attach on the side opposite the cocking handle.  If you used a StreamLight TLR-1 you can manipulate the switch with the fingers of your left hand if you mount the rail as far forward as you can..
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you have a wide forearm you can simply attach a short section of Magpul MOE rail by drilling a couple of holes and you can attach pretty much anything you want.  This would attach on the side opposite the cocking handle.  If you used a StreamLight TLR-1 you can manipulate the switch with the fingers of your left hand if you mount the rail as far forward as you can..

Now there is an idea I haven't thought about.    I would have to get another HG since this is a issued weapon but that would be way cheaper for sure.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]

TD's guns are sex.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Now there is an idea I haven't thought about.    I would have to get another HG since this is a issued weapon but that would be way cheaper for sure.

Pretty simple to do.  Just remove the handguard, then apply a piece of masking tape to the side of the handguard just aft of the handguard takedown pin, along the top edge.  Turn the handguard upside down and sit on a table or other flat surface so the top sides of the rail are both on the flat surface.  Place the short MagPul Moe rail section where you would like to mount it with the flat up against the handguard and the rail edge against the table, then take a pencil and mark through the rail mounting holes onto the masking tape.  Then drill your holes with the same size bit as the holes in the Moe rail section and attach the rail with the screws and flat nuts provided with the Moe rail.  The rail will not extend any higher than the top of the handguard.

I can post pics of the finished product if you are interested.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Wide forearms are dirt cheap too. You can find them for $20 or less on GB if you keep an eye out. Personally I have both a modded wide with a short pic section and a SF integral light. I dog both but since I seldom actually use the light most of the time a wide guard stays on it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pretty simple to do.  Just remove the handguard, then apply a piece of masking tape to the side of the handguard just aft of the handguard takedown pin, along the top edge.  Turn the handguard upside down and sit on a table or other flat surface so the top sides of the rail are both on the flat surface.  Place the short MagPul Moe rail section where you would like to mount it with the flat up against the handguard and the rail edge against the table, then take a pencil and mark through the rail mounting holes onto the masking tape.  Then drill your holes with the same size bit as the holes in the Moe rail section and attach the rail with the screws and flat nuts provided with the Moe rail.  The rail will not extend any higher than the top of the handguard.

I can post pics of the finished product if you are interested.

I'm interested. I have a can on the way, so my forearm will be vamos in 6-7 months...
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#13]
TDunn- what mount do you use for your M300 light?
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 4:19:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

HSP Thorntail (standard length).  Mounted to the rear of the forearm is perfect.  It brings the light back about even with the muzzle and in my case allows enough room for the fixed tapeswitch for the LDI cocking tube IR laser.  I like all the HSP mounts and have them on several different guns.  The light in the picture is a M600V (KM2 head on M600).
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:14:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HSP Thorntail (standard length).  Mounted to the rear of the forearm is perfect.  It brings the light back about even with the muzzle and in my case allows enough room for the fixed tapeswitch for the LDI cocking tube IR laser.  I like all the HSP mounts and have them on several different guns.  The light in the picture is a M600V (KM2 head on M600).

Sorry, thought somewhere I read it was a M300. Thanks for the info on that light mount. Never heard of HSP but I like the look of their product and it seems well-made. Not to mention priced well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's the Magpul Moe with the wide forearm with a TLR-3...

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#17]
ya, I like that!
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ya, I like that!

I think we have a winner!
Is the light angled inward any or is it parallel to the bore?
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I purchased the TLR-3 for my HK45CT after reading a review of it on here. It is a very well-made light. First light I have bought for a handgun and I am pleased!
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ya, I like that!

I think we have a winner!
Is the light angled inward any or is it parallel to the bore?

At 25 yards it is right in line with the sights.  I haven't shined it at any further distances, but if you look at the width of the handguard along the top, it is parallel to the cocking tube so it's pretty straight.  So the last time I checked light travels in a straight line, unless you are near any heavy gravity fields like black holes and such, you should be golden.

If you mounted the rail lower on the handguard you may have some issues since the handguard is somewhat of a beaver tail profile.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm running a SF dedicated forearm on my issued MP5.  Works well, feels good, all I did was replace the shitty incand bulb with a chicom 300 lumen LED bulb.  After the bulb upgrade, I absolutely love it!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top