Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2010 6:34:23 PM EDT
On the Whidbey flight line, right out of the "paint shop".

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Tire's "flat".
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
In before ASG wonders what the Hell that is.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
These planes are BAD to the bone!! I get to check them out when I do the PM on the elevators on WINAS!
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Love the gear & paintjob!I don't know why, but ever since I was a kid I was one of those airplane watchers at airport galleries with my nose on the glass.

I loved flying anywhere, and built a few model kits.

I still love seeing all kinds of planes, just like when I was a little kid.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Cag bird should have the "nuts" on it, that one has a 10..................
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Are the chains to keep it from being stolen by someone?

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are the chains to keep it from being stolen by someone?

There are 'Riccans around.....................

Seriously, thanks for posting those pics, KA3B.  That is one impressive bird.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
OK... Dumb question...

Is that a "windmill" on the front of the pod... and if it is is this how they are getting the power... I think I read/heard something about the E/A-18s having problems with supplying enough electricity for all of the added electronics?

Yes dumb question but remember the source
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice day for that action.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cag bird should have the "nuts" on it, that one has a 10..................

There's a reason why, but I can't say.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK... Dumb question...
Is that a "windmill" on the front of the pod... and if it is is this how they are getting the power... I think I read/heard something about the E/A-18s having problems with supplying enough electricity for all of the added electronics?

It's a generator for the pod.
Google up ALQ-99.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll be seeing that plane up close and personal like next year. VAQ-138 is in the CAG that comes to my ship.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK... Dumb question...

It's a generator for the pod.
Google up ALQ-99.

you dirty RAT...

I see now
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Why four names on the cockpit? I get VAQ CO and XO.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Must be the new 4 seater version, 2 of which are for midgets. They throw the rocks as they fly by.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Did I read it right, the second set is a Commodore and Deputy (Commodore?)...but they are both Capt's(O-6's?)....Isn't a Commodore a British Naval rank? I assume it's a position title, I just don't know what.

That + decipher the (Crew Chief?) info on the front landing gear door....Why the Home city? What the hell is a PCOY?

Fuckin' squids make all this shit confusing on porpise.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuckin' squids make all this shit confusing on porpise.

Having worked with and spent time after work with Army and Navy folks.... I can say they Army folks can not only out drink Navy folks they can handle the liquor better
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2008/q2/080604b_nr.html

so Commodore is a title not rank, something related to being the commanding officer of the Air Wing whereas the XO and CO command only VAQ-138?

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

so Commodore is a title not rank, something related to being the commanding officer of the Air Wing whereas the XO and CO command only VAQ-129?

I thought thats what CAG was? Commander of Air Group?  

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#24]
pretty sure that the CAG runs all the airplanes on the carrier whereas a VAQ is a squadron of the air group.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Naval Aviation lesson of the day.  

That bird is called the "CAG" bird.

CAG = Carrier Air Group, an old school term, the new name is Carrier Air Wing = CVW

In this case CAG = Carrier Air Wing Commander.

The Navy identifies their aircraft by a permanent number, the BUNO.  BUNO = Bureau Number, another old school term.
Before 1960 the aviation side of the Navy was set up by bureau's, BueWeps, BueAir, BueDev, BueOps, etc etc.

BUNO's are kind of like USAF Serial numbers except you can't date a Navy / Marine / Coast Guard aircraft by the BUNO's.

Naval aircraft are also identified by two sets of numbers / letters that can change, the MODEX Number and the Tail Number.

The MODEX number identifies (should, not always) what aircraft it is in the air wing.

Fighter MODEX numbers start with 1 and 2, attack aircraft start with 3 and 4, 5 is for electronic attack, 6 is for early warning or anti-sub, the list goes on.

The last "number" is the Tail Number (in most cases it's a set of letters, in some cases it's a combo of letter and numbers and sometimes it's all numbers).

The "00" in the 500 series is the CAG bird (usally marked up with the CAG's name), the 01 is the CO / XO's bird, 03, 04 and so on are usually assigned to the pilots in rank position or job position in the squadron.

This bird has the tail marking of NL, NL is the tail code for CVWP (the wing that all electronic attack aircraft in the Navy belong to), CVWP is out of Whidbey.

This is a VAQ-141 jet with the tail code AJ, AJ = CVW-8, at this time CVW-8 is assigned to the USS Theodore Roosevelt.
It's marked as the CAG bird for VAQ-141, CVW-8

This is a VAQ-132 jet with the tail code NL, it's marked as the CAG bird for CVWP NAS Whidbey.

VAQ-132 was established as an EA-18G squadron before VAQ-138.

Both squadrons (-132 & 138) are in the same wing - CVWP.

This wing does not use the "2" series of numbers.

Can't have two sets of the same aircraft running around with the same MODEX numbers in the same wing, so the second squadron uses 10 (510).
If there were to be three squadrons of the same same it would be 20 (520) and so on.

Why 4 names on the bird?

There are 5 aircraft in an EA-18G squadron, that means that there are only 5 places to put the squadron Pilot's/NFO's names on the bird.
There are at least 20 pilots/NFO's in each EA-18G squadron.

In the case of the CAG bird it's normal to double up the names, some squadrons double up the other planes, some don't.
Personal preference of each squadrons commanding officer.

Lesson over.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#26]
You forgot to tell us that "N" tail numbers are Pacific Fleet while "A" are Atlantic. No, couldn't use "P" for Pacific, not the Canoe Crew.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

so Commodore is a title not rank, something related to being the commanding officer of the Air Wing whereas the XO and CO command only VAQ-138?

US Naval Officer ranks

TitleFleet Admiral
Admiral
Vice Admiral
Rear Admiral (upper half)
Rear Admiral (lower half)
Captain
Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ensign

Rear Admiral (lower half) used to be "Commodore" until 1985.

In todays Navy Commodore is a title and not a rank.
In the old days a CAG was usually a Commodore (Admiral).

When you address a US Navy air wing commander you address that person as "Commodore".
Captain is acceptable.
Hey you usually does not work.

Just like the commanding officer of a Naval ship, no matter their actual rank they are addressed as "Captain".
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#28]
So what does VAQ stand for?

Don't blame me I worked for a living on the ground.

OH, and I get my naval knowledge from Battlestar Galactica, Top Gun, and JAG.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Electronic Attack Squadron

VFA Fighter Attack Squadron

VAW AWACS Squadron

HS Helo Sqdrn (RON in USN talk)

VRC Spt Sqdrn

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You forgot to tell us that "N" tail numbers are Pacific Fleet while "A" are Atlantic. No, couldn't use "P" for Pacific, not the Canoe Crew.

I didn't want to confuse the issue - Aircraft assigned to Naval Air Station Whidbey have the tail letters of 7G, HOWEVER, the NAS Whidbey SAR unit uses FW tail letters.
They don't follow the AP / AL tail code numbering convention.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I think tail number was the wrong term for me to use, I meant the large NL on the vertical stabilizers.

And what the hell is PCOY? I get AirMan 3 (Aviation Warfare) J.A Cmar.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Electronic Attack Squadron  

VFA Fighter Attack Squadron

VAW AWACS Squadron

HS Helo Sqdrn

VRC Spt Sqdrn

VFQ = EAS?

Damn the Navy is special, they cant even abbreviate properly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
pretty sure the USN got into coded language because their equipment is so very visible.

there is a sense to it, just not one immediately obvious.

pretty sure V is fixed wing

SS is submarine

DD is destroyer

C is carrier

SSBN is Nuclear powered Ballistic missile Submarine

DDG is Guided missile Destroyer

CVN is Carrier fixed wing Nuclear

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think tail number was the wrong term for me to use, I meant the large NL on the vertical stabilizers.

NL = Tail Numbers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I understand all that. Just like the army marks its vehicles according to battalion/company/platoon/section/tasking.

Like 6's for CO's, 7's for 1SG/CSM, 4's for PSG's, 1's for PL's, 8's for medics.. so on and so forth

2 digits for wheeled vehicles, 3 for tracked, T's for trailers.  

point is all that is common sense and has apparent logic(shit, I just admitting to something being logical in the army)
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

PCOY = Plane Captain of the Year.

A Navy / Marine / Coast Guard Plane Captain is the person who works for the Line Division (300 Division), Work Center 310 (Plane Captains).

Navy Plane Captains are almost like USAF Crew Chiefs, except that Navy Plane Captains come from the various Naval Aviation enlisted rates vice the Air Force, where Crew Chief is an actual MOS.

AM = Aviation Structural Mechanic, AM3 = Aviation Structural Mechanic Third Class (E4).

AM3 J.A.CMAR is the best of the best in the line shack (work center 310), he probably went out there as an E-Nothing from Boot Camp, went TAD (cleaning shitters or mess cranking at least once), never worked in his actual rate as a structural mechanic (work center 120, Airframes) and made third class in his rate.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#37]
If the Navy were to follow their own squadron identification convention then an EA-18G based squadron would be a VFAQ squadron.

Naval squadron convention:
VA-123
V = Fixed Wing
A = Attack
45 = squadron identifier number

VAQ-123
V = Fixed Wing
A = Attack
Q = Electronic Warfare

Since the F-18 is actually an F/A-18 then an EA-18G based squadron should be VFAQ-123.

Naval squadrons that transitioned from the F-14 to the F/A-18 went from being VF-123 to VFA-123.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice work here KA3B.
I can add, FA18 driver =FAG, Fighter Attack Guy
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Methinks KA3B still sits on EAWS boards...
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Years and years of playing NATOPS Trivial Pursuit.

The C-130 DC cargo winch switch can be swapped with the CDS release switch - T/F ** FALSE

What is the weight limit (PSI) for the walkway, the airstair and the cockpit floors?  **86 lbs per square inch

How is the speedbrake manually operated on the KA-3B and what does the Crewchief have to ensure before operating?  **Depressing the hydro-electrical speed brake Weston valve "extend" button - ensuring that the seat pack/parachute lanyard is disconnected before actuating the harness release handle.  

What is the travel of the rudder actuator on the E-6B when the yaw dampener has been actuated and will the yaw dampener automatically disconnect if rudder peddle travel exceeds 70% of travel? **That's a secret.

You release the SEWARS Koch fittings after bailout right before you hit the water - T/F  **True

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I got some guesses!!

Quoted:

The C-130 DC cargo winch switch can be swapped with the CDS release switch - T/F

What is the weight limit (PSI) for the walkway, the airstair and the cockpit floors?7.8 psi

How is the speedbrake manually operated on the KA-3B and what does the Crewchief have to ensure before operating? Actuating lever, Safety pin removed in preflight?

What is the travel of the rudder actuator on the E-6B when the yaw dampener has been actuated and will the yaw dampener automatically disconnect if rudder peddle travel exceeds 70% of travel? 7.75", yes

You release the SEWARS Koch fittings after bailout right before you hit the water - T/F saltwater actuated.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I got some guesses!!

Quoted:

The C-130 DC cargo winch switch can be swapped with the CDS release switch - T/F

What is the weight limit (PSI) for the walkway, the airstair and the cockpit floors?7.8 psi

How is the speedbrake manually operated on the KA-3B and what does the Crewchief have to ensure before operating? Actuating lever, Safety pin removed in preflight?

What is the travel of the rudder actuator on the E-6B when the yaw dampener has been actuated and will the yaw dampener automatically disconnect if rudder peddle travel exceeds 70% of travel? 7.75", yes

You release the SEWARS Koch fittings after bailout right before you hit the water - T/F saltwater actuated.

Notice how that spoon-carrying Airedale Wingnut fag still hasn't got back to tell you how fucked-up your wrong answers are?

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the pix!  That's a bad-ass Growler.

(I still miss the F-14 though)...

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Hehe, we are getting a former ground pounder Prowler squadron on my upcoming deployment. VAQ-133.*

They haven't gone to sea in a pretty long while.

Glad I ain't in that 050 workcenter, they are going to be busy.

*For those who don't know, since the Air Force got rid of their EF-111, the Navy has had a few squadrons designated to deploy in support of Air Force missions, i.e. these days to Bahgram Afghanistan, or Al Asad, Iraq.
Pre OIF I, it was Incirlik Turkey, or Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia.
These squadrons did not go to aircraft carriers, like the other squadrons do. VAQ-133 was one of these squadrons, and has been since 1996.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pix!  That's a bad-ass Growler.

(I still miss the F-14 though)...

I still miss Bender
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The C-130 DC cargo winch switch can be swapped with the CDS release switch - T/F ** FALSE

What is the weight limit (PSI) for the walkway, the airstair and the cockpit floors?  **86 lbs per square inch

How is the speedbrake manually operated on the KA-3B and what does the Crewchief have to ensure before operating?  **Depressing the hydro-electrical speed brake Weston valve "extend" button - ensuring that the seat pack/parachute lanyard is disconnected before actuating the harness release handle.  

What is the travel of the rudder actuator on the E-6B when the yaw dampener has been actuated and will the yaw dampener automatically disconnect if rudder peddle travel exceeds 70% of travel? **That's a secret.

You release the SEWARS Koch fittings after bailout right before you hit the water - T/F  **True
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hehe, we are getting a former ground pounder Prowler squadron on my upcoming deployment. VAQ-133.*

They haven't gone to sea in a pretty long while.

Glad I ain't in that 050 workcenter, they are going to be busy.

*For those who don't know, since the Air Force got rid of their EF-111, the Navy has had a few squadrons designated to deploy in support of Air Force missions, i.e. these days to Bahgram Afghanistan, or Al Asad, Iraq.
Pre OIF I, it was Incirlik Turkey, or Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia.
These squadrons did not go to aircraft carriers, like the other squadrons do. VAQ-133 was one of these squadrons, and has been since 1996.

Most of the mid and senior level officers did their JO tours on boat squadrons.  The junior pilots have CQ'd at least twice.  The biggest adjustment will be for the senior level JO's ECMO's that will be expected to provide leadership/experience when they have none.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The biggest adjustment will be for the senior level JO's ECMO's that will be expected to provide leadership/experience when they have none.

This is why ECMOs are referred to as "Window Lickers" right?

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Self Loading Baggage.
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
pretty sure the USN got into coded language because their equipment is so very visible.

there is a sense to it, just not one immediately obvious.

pretty sure V is fixed wing

SS is submarine
DD is destroyer
C is carrier

SSBN is Nuclear powered Ballistic missile Submarine
DDG is Guided missile Destroyer
CVN is Carrier fixed wing Nuclear

Thanks for the pictures!!!
I thought SSBN was for Ship Submersible, Balistic Nuclear
Whereas SSN was Ship Submersible Nuclear, as in Fast Attacks, and that is about my knowledge of Naval ship stuff
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top