Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2013 11:04:05 AM EDT
hi,
have any of you gotten positive signoffs from your local CLEO for 1 and 4 type controlled product? with the ATF proposing this change it could make things legal again not legal even though legal.

I have a gun trust provided by

guntrust lawyer

they are trying to get feedback on what CLEOs will sign off and what the projected results will be.

any feedback or info would be appreciated.

even though a trust is a great way of going, the change will nullify them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#1]
this is what I sent the Lynnwood Police Chief

City of Lynnwood
Police Department
Attn: Chief Steven J. Jensen
P.O. Box 5008
Lynnwood, WA 98046-5008  

RE: Completion of ATF Form 4

I am a resident of Lynnwood and am considering the purchase of a Suppressor. I understand that the ATF is proposing changing the CLEO certification and was wondering if you will or are going to sign the CLEO certification as is being proposed by the ATF? Even better, do you sign Form 4s currently?

If you do not sign any Form 4s for the purchase of a noise suppressor, I must ask whether you anticipate changing that practice in light of ATF's proposal to change the wording of the certification. Currently the Form 4 asks you (or another chief law enforcement officer) to certify that you have "no information indicating that the receipt or possession of the firearm would place the transferee in violation of state or local law or that the transferee will use the firearm for other than lawful purposes." ATF proposes to change the Form 4 so as to request that you (or another chief law enforcement officer) certify that you have "no information indicating that possession of the firearm by the transferee would be in violation of state or local law."

If you do anticipate that you will sign a Form 4 with the revised certification language, I may well wait to purchase a noise suppressor until ATF completes the revision. Or, even better, if you currently will sign, then I will move forward with the transaction.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Please post the response when you get one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
got a call from the Lynnwood Police. talked to a lady person and she said that even though they do not receive many form 4's, after their own due diligence, they do sign them. takes 2-3 weeks to process. I mentioned, complained about the ATF and their long turn times and the change trying to stop citizens from owning these things and she volunteered that they received communication from the ATF recommending that they DO NOT sign off on these. basically, what everyone is saying. the ATF wants to change to CLEO, and then get the CLEO to NOT Sign.

that said, she, being Lynnwood Police, will sign Form 4s.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
got a call from the Lynnwood Police. talked to a lady person and she said that even though they do not receive many form 4's, after their own due diligence, they do sign them. takes 2-3 weeks to process. I mentioned, complained about the ATF and their long turn times and the change trying to stop citizens from owning these things and she volunteered that they received communication from the ATF recommending that they DO NOT sign off on these. basically, what everyone is saying. the ATF wants to change to CLEO, and then get the CLEO to NOT Sign.

View Quote

Not surprising.

Clark County is NFA friendly too, FWIW.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Any word on the current situation in Pierce County?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

This really pisses me off!  Big brother at it's finest!  
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

can you get lynnwood police to put that in writing? sounds like grounds for a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

can you get lynnwood police to put that in writing? sounds like grounds for a lawsuit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope. that was a verbal. since the letter was written and the reply was on the phone, I assume they do not want those sorts of conversations in writing. but I agree. I also think we are collectively screwed as a nation and have no rule of law, just 3rd world monkey justice.

perhaps I am abit cynical.

Oh, and to increase the tin foil conspiracy stuff, the Lynnwood cops got themselves a fully outfitted MRAP courtesy of Obummer and you know where they are "storing" it? in the inside back corner of the main fire dept on 44th. sort of like storing a tank in the local MASH unit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in Woodinville, they farm out police services to the Kings County Sheriff. My police chief is Sydney Jackson. Not sure what her deal is but, I'll send her a formal email and see what she says. Hopefully she won't direct me to KCSD, which I know don't sign.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

nope. that was a verbal. since the letter was written and the reply was on the phone, I assume they do not want those sorts of conversations in writing. but I agree. I also think we are collectively screwed as a nation and have no rule of law, just 3rd world monkey justice.

Oh, and to increase the tin foil conspiracy stuff, the Lynnwood cops got themselves a fully outfitted MRAP courtesy of Obummer and you know where they are "storing" it? in the inside back corner of the main fire dept on 44th. sort of like storing a tank in the local MASH unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if there is a way to submit a FOIA request to get copies of the letters sent by ATF to local CLEOs?

This is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:16:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not surprising.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprising.

This is good news since Vancouver, WA area is one of top places I'm looking at since I'll be retiring next year...  I only hope that Pierce County CLEO will do the same since the Tacoma area is also on my short list as well.

Born and raised in Seattle, but I will never again live in King County due to the local politics.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is good news since Vancouver, WA area is one of top places I'm looking at since I'll be retiring next year...  I only hope that Pierce County CLEO will do the same since the Tacoma area is also on my short list as well.

Born and raised in Seattle, but I will never again live in King County due to the local politics.  
View Quote

A friend told me Pierce County Sheriff Pastor has already stated publicly he will not sign NFA forms.  Sorry to say, but Pierce County is no longer any different politically than King County.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a letter today from King County Sheriff, addressed to firearms dealers in King Co.  It has a VERY INTERESTING section, which is quoted below:

“Silencers & AOW (ATF Form 4) Applications: The Sheriff’s Office will process the ATF Form 4 application background checks for any resident of unincorporated King County and any resident of the following city limits: Burien, Covington, Kenmore, Maple Valley, Newcastle, North Bend (only until March 2014), Sammamish, SeaTac, Shoreline, Skykomish, Town of Beaux Arts and Woodinville.  All other addresses outside our jurisdiction should be sent to the appropriate Police or Sheriff’s Office.  We have no authority to process these applications if the person does not live within our jurisdiction.  Please have the applicant contact our Records Unit at 206-263-2636 for further information/instructions.
View Quote

Does this mean KingCo will sign for unincorporated and contract cities???????

And HELL YEAH I'm saving a copy of this letter in case 41P goes into effect.......
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got a letter today from King County Sheriff, addressed to firearms dealers in King Co.  It has a VERY INTERESTING section, which is quoted below:

And HELL YEAH I'm saving a copy of this letter in case 41P goes into effect.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

“Silencers & AOW (ATF Form 4) Applications: The Sheriff’s Office will process the ATF Form 4 application background checks for any resident of unincorporated King County and any resident of the following city limits: Burien, Covington, Kenmore, Maple Valley, Newcastle, North Bend (only until March 2014), Sammamish, SeaTac, Shoreline, Skykomish, Town of Beaux Arts and Woodinville.  All other addresses outside our jurisdiction should be sent to the appropriate Police or Sheriff’s Office.  We have no authority to process these applications if the person does not live within our jurisdiction.  Please have the applicant contact our Records Unit at 206-263-2636 for further information/instructions.

Why North Bend only to March 2014?  Falling under different jurisdiction?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:53:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why North Bend only to March 2014?  Falling under different jurisdiction?
View Quote

I recall reading that North Bend will be contracting their PD services out to another agency starting next year.  Snoqualmie perhaps?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Today is the final comment day, please everyone if you haven't already stop by the web site and leave a comment.  A simple "I oppose these new NFA regulations" is better than nothing!

http://www.regulations.gov

Search for "ATF 41P".
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
FYI, I contacted Chief Wilson at Federal Way Police Department.  This was the response I got.

Good afternoon Mr. Lawson,

Thank you for contacting the Federal Way Police Department regarding completion of
the ATF Form 4 application.

It is the decision of Chief Brian Wilson not to participate in the certification process.  You may
need to seek assistance from the King County Sheriff’s Office at [email protected]
or Washington State Patrol.

Thank you,

Diane Shines
Records Administrator
Federal Way Police Department
253 835-6854
[email protected]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Mill Creek PD told me they will sign if you are a resident of Mill Creek.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FYI, I contacted Chief Wilson at Federal Way Police Department.  This was the response I got.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good afternoon Mr. Lawson,

Thank you for contacting the Federal Way Police Department regarding completion of
the ATF Form 4 application.

It is the decision of Chief Brian Wilson not to participate in the certification process.  You may
need to seek assistance from the King County Sheriff’s Office at [email protected]
or Washington State Patrol.

Thank you,

Diane Shines
Records Administrator
Federal Way Police Department
253 835-6854
[email protected]

Now that's some fucking bullshit right there.  Maybe send that off to SAF and see if they have a "file" going to drop it into?  

I'd be tempted to email/write them back and ask for specifics as to why......
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#20]
1/10/2014 email response from WSP:

Thank you for your inquiry to the Washington State Patrol.

We do not currently provide the service you require. Your local sheriff's department should be able to accommodate your request.

Respectfully,

Webmaster/mkr
View Quote

HP
(Seattle)
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like we need to get some legislation going to add shall issue to NFA items.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#22]
you mean 'shall sign'.

CLEO should be forced to either provide documentation supporting why the individual should be prohibited from possessing NFA items, or the CLEO shall sign.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I like that thinking. I wonder if it can be added to the legislation surrounding the SBR bill?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like that thinking. I wonder if it can be added to the legislation surrounding the SBR bill?
View Quote

We've got a good thing going with the SBR bill, let's not ruin it. Shall issue for NFA is a much bigger and harder hill to climb than getting SBRs legalized.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We've got a good thing going with the SBR bill, let's not ruin it. Shall issue for NFA is a much bigger and harder hill to climb than getting SBRs legalized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll eventually have to deal with it if 41p gets inacted. When/if it gets implementd say goodbye to SBRs if you cant get a CLEO buyoff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top