User Panel

Bear (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:
I'm halfway between Eagle River & Nicolet Natl Forest to the east of town.
View Quote

Small world.  I miss Twelve Pines pizza.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By illini52:

Small world.  I miss Twelve Pines pizza.
View Quote

Yeah I also miss the broasted chicken dinners they had when Les Kadlec owned it. But, the pizza isn't gone, it just moved down the highway a half mile west to The Heid Out. Same recipe, same makers, new location.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:

the forest maturing does the same thing.

I have been grouse hunting mostly west (along old B as an example) of Land O' Lakes since the early '70's, not nearly as much clear cuts as there used to be. Many of the areas we used to hunt are too over grown and hold no birds.

no birds = no deer
View Quote

That's right were we own land...I drive the back roads, fire lanes and trails back in that region
Inside the big square...LOL to Presque Isle down to BJ back to Conover and I am seeing more grouse this year but hardly any deer many does without fawns...
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 4:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#4]

LOL... so the deer moved from one "mature" forest (Nicolet) to another mature forest (Township  of Washington) where I live? There's no immature forest here. No clear cuts for deer browse. When trees get cut down it's to make room for another home to be built. But the deer are still here in numbers never seen before. Forest maturing does do it, no arguments, but it's more of a gradual thing that occurs over time. It doesn't happen in just a few years. Deer numbers in Nicolet fell of the charts in 3-4 short years, and at the same time, they exploded just 3 miles away in semi-populated areas. A maturing forest cannot explain the suddeness of it, as both have matured equally. if anything, the natl forest has had more cutting than the private lands adjacent to it. The only explanation is deer went from one area to another one close by... en masse. Why? Maturity of forest and weather were indentical in both areas. People do still feed them, but it's been illegal here for a few years, and the local warden is very aggressive at enforcing the ban, so feeding is way down. Cost of feed has risen too. The only common denominator is wolves are there, but not here, and deer are not stupid.  

Logging is ongoing in Nicolet where we hunt right now. Has been for several years. Grouse numbers have been very good for quite a few years in a row. I keep waiting for the crash to the down cycle, but it's way overdue. I bump birds almost every bear baiting trip... saw 2 juveniles just this morning, and there were probably more in that flock as they likely haven't dispersed yet. Cover was thick, but 2 flew right across the road in front of my Jeep when they jumped up.

Vilas County Forestry has done extensive logging west of Eagle River and in the Conover area for the past 15- 20 years. They manage it for wildlife very well. Areas that get overgrown in time are replaced by other areas being freshly logged. They try to keep a certain percentage of cutting, and allowing forests reaching maturity. They deal with far less politics (tree huggers) locally than in state, and especially, federal levels. There too, bird numbers are as high as I've ever seen them. I heard a lot of drumming while turkey hunting there this spring.

edit to add: I had a safe opening job just yesterday west on B, out by Bents Camp. Saw a nice bear on the way there, it was crossing B near Black Oak Lake. Saw 2 grouse on the way back home. Those were adult birds, right near Hwy S.
View Quote

Heck you were near Bent's could have bought you breakfast at the Pine Cone in LOL

Next time you out on S let me know...show you the lake lot and the old estate it's on...

Think you nailed it on the deer refugee status into human habitation...for now wolves do not like being too close to humans...that is changing like it does with all animals...

Food and shelter from predators is the ultimate re-enforcer for behavior.

And as they yard up in large herds their likelihood of transmitting disease to each other increases
and the very thing the DNR goes after us mortals for encouraging by feeding birds in winter...

We will be spending a lot of time out in that area after labor day...got 7 acres to clear and helping the new neighbors clearing theirs as well...be interesting to see how many deer show up...vs wolves...

Did come on a kill site few days ago just off of the Tower Lake,White Spruce and 9 Web intersect.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

Heck you were near Bent's could have bought you breakfast at the Pine Cone in LOL

Next time you out on S let me know...show you the lake lot and the old estate it's on...

Think you nailed it on the deer refugee status into human habitation...for now wolves do not like being too close to humans...that is changing like it does with all animals...

Food and shelter from predators is the ultimate re-enforcer for behavior.

And as they yard up in large herds their likelihood of transmitting disease to each other increases
and the very thing the DNR goes after us mortals for encouraging by feeding birds in winter...

We will be spending a lot of time out in that area after labor day...got 7 acres to clear and helping the new neighbors clearing theirs as well...be interesting to see how many deer show up...vs wolves...

Did come on a kill site few days ago just off of the Tower Lake,White Spruce and 9 Web intersect.

View Quote

Have you ever been to Bent's Camp restaurant & bar? Best Bloody Marys around, and the food was fantastic last time I ate there (but it has been quite a few years). It was one of my favorite "pit stops" while trail riding on my snowmobile (which I quit doing about 15 years ago). The walls & ceiling are covered in birch bark. I do believe it's the original wall paper, and it was built in about 1896. Pretty cool looking...but if that place ever caught on fire, I'd probably see the flames from Eagle River.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 5:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: illini52] [#6]

Yeah I also miss the broasted chicken dinners they had when Les Kadlec owned it. But, the pizza isn't gone, it just moved down the highway a half mile west to The Heid Out. Same recipe, same makers, new location.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks!   Place we stay at is on Voyageur Lake.  Just looked up the Heid Out.  I remember when it was some Italian place, Michaels I think.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#7]

Have you ever been to Bent's Camp restaurant & bar? Best Bloody Marys around, and the food was fantastic last time I ate there (but it has been quite a few years). It was one of my favorite "pit stops" while trail riding on my snowmobile (which I quit doing about 15 years ago). The walls & ceiling are covered in birch bark. I do believe it's the original wall paper, and it was built in about 1896. Pretty cool looking...but if that place ever caught on fire, I'd probably see the flames from Eagle River.
View Quote

Fish fry ain't too shabby either...going to celebrate our anniversary there in a couple of days...though the burgers
at the Black Oak Inn are good I gotta hit The Bear Trap once of these times...

Gotta tell the wife about the Bloody Marys though guess I'm driving...Bent's Camp is pretty cool place...

Now I gotta hit the Heid Out for pizza...
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:46:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#8]

Place we stay at is on Voyageur Lake.  
View Quote

And the 'small world' just got way smaller...
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:27:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#9]

And the 'small world' just got way smaller...
View Quote

weird I know a guy who near there
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Good to know, thanks!   Place we stay at is on Voyageur Lake.  Just looked up the Heid Out.  I remember when it was some Italian place, Michaels I think.
View Quote

Not many resorts or rentals on Voyageur Lake, aside from Chanticleer Inn, Lake Forest, and Voyageur Vista by the Crossings condos. Probably some vrbos I don't know about. I know there's one on Smile-Awhile by the marina and another one on north side of lake off Eagle Waters Road somewhere.

Yup Heid Out was Michaels Italian restaurant for a few years. In between those 2, it was run by Eagle Waters' owners for a very short time, but their timing was bad... covid hit, and there were no customers, no workers even if there were. They closed up in less than 6 months. Before Michaels it was called The Albino Bar.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Family place is on south side of the lake.  Been going up for almost 35 years and seen a lot of places come and go, which seems to be northwoods standard.   I'm still mad that the Trading Post on Main St. is gone.  Bought a lot of slingshots and cap guns there during the early 90s .  Plus the fish tank in the wall and the naked lady pens in the window were always entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Family place is on south side of the lake.  Been going up for almost 35 years and seen a lot of places come and go, which seems to be northwoods standard.   I'm still mad that the Trading Post on Main St. is gone.  Bought a lot of slingshots and cap guns there during the early 90s .  Plus the fish tank in the wall and the naked lady pens in the window were always entertaining.
View Quote

The Trading Post was one of 5 FFLs within the city of Eagle River when I moved here in 1991. The owner passed away around 2000. I once worked on their safe in the 90s... they kept a loaded, ivory gripped, pristine condition, 2nd gen Colt S.A.A. in .45 Colt on top of safe... in case of a stick-up. That gun was worth far more than what was inside the safe. It's been long gone for 25 years now since owner passed, or I wouldn't talk about it.

Those FFLs are all gone, plus 2 more that opened & closed well after I moved here. Only one still in business, Eagle Sports, gave up their FFL decades ago. There's now one FFL just west of city limits on 70... Northwoods Shooters Shop. The ones I miss most are McKeevers True Value and The Shop on Railroad Street.

About that place on Voyageur Lake.... PM sent.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Bear (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top