Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 7:56:44 PM EDT
Bought a suppressor for my AR 15, and I had my 22mag Remington semi set up for the same suppressor. Problem is I can't find subsonic 22mag ammo. Anyone know where to get some.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
anybody
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never heard of subsonic 22mag. Many 22mags can fire 22 LR, which has options available.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never heard of subsonic 22mag. Many 22mags can fire 22 LR, which has options available.
View Quote

You need a different cylinder to shoot 22 LR out of a 22 Mag.

I never heard of 22 mag subsonic's either.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The lowest fps I've seen 22mag is 1295. It is Winchester's "Defense" ammo.

Although they fire the same bullet, the 22WMR's case diameter is .016" wider. You will, most likely, end up splitting cases if you try to fire 22lr out of a 22WMR

No one knows why they didn't just make the case longer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

While many .22 magnum firearms are functionally capable of chambering and firing a .22LR round it is a practice that you want to avoid. In addition to the bullet diameter differences and the chamber length difference, the .22 Magnum chamber has a larger diameter than the LR. At a minimum the case will blow out. This could result in unnecessary stress on the firearm and property damage/ injury .

Although they fire the same bullet, the 22WMR's case diameter is .016" wider. You will, most likely, end up splitting cases if you try to fire 22lr out of a 22WMR

No one knows why they didn't just make the case longer.

They do not fire the same bullet. The bullet diameter for the .22 WMR is nonimally .001 inches greater than the LR. The case needs to have a wider damage to accommodate bullet seating. The .22 WMR is seated into the case mouth similar to a centerfire round (the part of the bullet in/below the case mouth is diameter) whereas the .22 S/L/LR use a heeled bullet which has the full diameter bearing surface ahead of the case mouth and is seated via a lesser diameter base.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Although they have, roughly, the same bullet diameter, the 22WMR's case diameter is .016" wider. You will, most likely, end up splitting cases if you try to fire 22lr out of a 22WMR
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Although they have, roughly, the same bullet diameter, the 22WMR's case diameter is .016" wider. You will, most likely, end up splitting cases if you try to fire 22lr out of a 22WMR

FIFY

They do not fire the same bullet. The bullet diameter for the .22 WMR is nonimally .001 inches greater than the LR.

Per Saami, a 22lr bullet is .2255 while a 22WMR bullet is .2245.
However, the 22WMR bore dimensions are greater.

The case needs to have a wider damage to accommodate bullet seating. The .22 WMR is seated into the case mouth similar to a centerfire round (the part of the bullet in/below the case mouth is diameter) whereas the .22 S/L/LR use a heeled bullet which has the full diameter bearing surface ahead of the case mouth and is seated via a lesser diameter base.

This is correct.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool. Did not know that.

As a matter of practicality, the Winchester .22WMRs in the NAA I am carrying right now measure .2250. While .22LR vary, the Federals  (Lightning) I have right next to me nominally measure .2200. The bore on my NAA (probably not a good candidate, but it's handy) is .2165/.2230.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top