Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2011 10:18:23 PM EDT
Since I've been banned from the AR15 subforum, I'll ask this question here.  What rail covers are you using on your AR?  I have always used KAC covers, but they are less than ideal on my DD M4v3.  I am using the Surefire ladders on it instead and I like them alot, but things get a little warm when shooting alot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
KAC, but I'm thinking about picking up the larue index clips. My buddy has them and it's a much slimmer alternative. Probably the slimmest I've seen aside from ladder covers.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
magpul and index clips
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Magpul XTM's for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have wasted a lot of money over the last few years on rail covers.   I started out with Tango Down rail covers, but just like the KAC, they both suck because you have to slide them on.  If you mount anything in front of the rail cover like a weapon light or a QD mount, you are screwed.

Then I sold them off and bought Magpul XTM rail covers for all my rifles and shotguns rails.   At first I loved them, as they were modular and could be removed fairly easily.  However, they are much too thick and adds a lot of bulk to the rail.   The other thing I didn't like about them was that if you had only 3 or four rail slots to cover, the XTM panel was too long and you had to just leave a gap and not cover the rail.  I also found out that since they are so bulky that the LWRC rifles required you to remove the XTMs everytime you needed to get access tot he piston internals for cleaning.   Removing XTM panels isn't painful, but it isn't quick and easy either.  

So then, I decided recently that I didn't like the limitations of the XTM and bought LaRue Index Clips for my guns.   These are the best so far.   Individual pieces that cover one rail section at a time so you never have any gaps.   They are very low profile, but offer much better heat protection than ladders do.   You don't have to remove them to get access to the piston on the LWRCs.   And the best part about them is the index clips that come with wire management built in.   I have Surefire scout lights on my guns, and use the SR07 rail mounted switches on the top rail.  Before the cord was loose and could potentially snag on something even though it laid flush with the rail.   But now with the index clips, the cord for the switch is mounted firmly against the rail and held securely in place.  

Definitely try the index clips, they are great.   Their only weakness is they don't have much of a texture on them.  So if you only use index clips, and not a VFG or AFG in conjunction, they may get a little slick.  But since I use AFGs on my guns and wrap my thumb around the top rail to activate the light switches, I don't have any issues with grip.  

Some manufacturers of rails are slightly out of spec and require you to press really hard to snap the index clips on.   LWRCs were the worst and I had to tap the index clips on with the back of a screw driver.   The index clips come off using a LaRue dillo or a screw driver to pop the edge up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I currently use Ergo ladders, they don't provide much for heat protection, but they are slim.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Index Clips
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a ton...went through KAC, through everything Magpul offered....some tangodown stuff....then went bare....had XTMs for awhile....then I went back bare.

I just like bare really, least rails as possible so that I have nothing to cover. TRX.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Bradd, I have index clips that I can pop off real quick and let you borrow.

I still owe you the welcome to Dacula breakfast. Let me know
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Tango down two normal and one scar panel and ergo ladders
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, from what forum(s) are you banned and why?  Just curious.

I got banned from the AR technical forum for getting in a "discussion" with a guy about how lacking this site has become.  I said that most of the pros have gone elsewhere because of the nonsense here and the technical forums are nothing but threads about coloring in rollmarks and asking if someone's FDE furniture all matches.  It all started with me saying that M4C has better technical discussions.  I had been warned by Aimless about a month ago for something similar.  The thread where I made my comments didn't belong in the tech forums, but Aimless felt the need to spank me anyway.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#12]

I still think the rail thing was pure marketing genius.

We will sell you a very expensive part that you can put on your rifle and mount other very expensive parts to.  

Additionally, the part in it's normal configuration is so uncomfortable to use compared to the part it replaced, that we will sell you parts to go on it so that you can continue to use it instead of the part it replaced.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Honestly, the only real reason I have a rail at all is because I haven't found a solution I like for mounting a light on a carbine with standard handguards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Honestly, the only real reason I have a rail at all is because I haven't found a solution I like for mounting a light on a carbine with standard handguards.

There's Elzetta if you have a standard front sight gas block.

There's mount-n-slot which bolts onto the vent holes.

Then there's old-school where you just take some pipe clamps and put it on the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most rails also offer better heat dissipation instead of just trapping heat around the inside of the insulated handguards.

That is the other reason I like them.  The rifle seems to cool much faster and I'm sure the rail is pulling some heat off the chamber which is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I like and use the KAC covers and Ladders I get off Ebay for dirt cheap, not the ergo's but an off brand copy. Work good. The KAC rails are great when New, most people have used beat to hell surplus ones that are past thier prime and then complain about them.  They are a little large but not much more so than a standard handguard which I like. Rail covers are like the rails themselves, they all do the job just a little differently, and its a more personal choice for what works for you. i won't bash anyone else's choice it works for them. I just got lucky and got used to and like the old school covers. I like to stipple them too. Very nice feel to them. Can be a PITA to get the coverage and plcement you want all the time, and a miterbox and saw are your buddies when configuring the ideal as can be set up. Hope you find something you like, and when you do, post up and let us know, new ideas are always welcome here!
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most rails also offer better heat dissipation instead of just trapping heat around the inside of the insulated handguards.

Oh, and the other huge advantage some offer is free floating the barrel. Critical to repeatable and consistant accuracy in an AR trype rifle. Worth the hassle of all that rail-estate you might not need.

Apparently Mr. Knight was watching the Invasion of panama on tv eatin cheerio's and saw guys had stuff taped to the rifles, tied on and hose clamped and thats how he was inspired to make the RAS. Best Business idea he ever had, wish I would have thought of it!

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like and use the KAC covers and Ladders I get off Ebay for dirt cheap, not the ergo's but an off brand copy. Work good. The KAC rails are great when New, most people have used beat to hell surplus ones that are past thier prime and then complain about them.  They are a little large but not much more so than a standard handguard which I like. Rail covers are like the rails themselves, they all do the job just a little differently, and its a more personal choice for what works for you. i won't bash anyone else's choice it works for them. I just got lucky and got used to and like the old school covers. I like to stipple them too. Very nice feel to them. Can be a PITA to get the coverage and plcement you want all the time, and a miterbox and saw are your buddies when configuring the ideal as can be set up. Hope you find something you like, and when you do, post up and let us know, new ideas are always welcome here!

Yeah, I've been using the KAC covers for years.  They work fine, but as you said they are limited in how you can use them.  The rifle I am getting covers for has a DD Omega X 9" rail so covers that lock into the ends of the rail are less than ideal.  I really like the Surefire ladders, but heat can be an issue sometimes as I don't shoot with gloves.  I moved away from vert grips a few years ago, but I may give them another go and that may mitigate the heat issue.

Here's what I'm working with.

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#21]
picy pics please!  Sounds interesting. I might like them. Heat has never been an issue for me either, just bangin up $$$ of rails.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, Marky.  That was very helpful.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks, Marky.  That was very helpful.

+1

really digging those snake skins.

clown
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't get what your saying......

Nah, I keed, I keed!!

That was awesome. I find myself drawn to the LWRC panels now, I have a few places they would be perfect.  You are dead on about the special slot for the KAC.  On the URX Middy, I had to put it on reverse. The URX also has a few on the rail, not just the ends, as the RAS does. What some people might not realize is that the slot for the locking tab is actual Milspec. KAC invented it and it became the standard. My DD  rail has them.. ;) its the 12.0 in M4 I think... Either way, its  not always ideal. I do love that URX rail though. Its LIGHT.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#27]
so mark do you just have these all just laying around?  must be nice!  nice rifle length rail too!
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 3:54:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, I had all that just hanging around.  The KAC rail is a rifle length URX II with the integral sight.  I had it listed on the EE and "sold" but the buyer backed out and I haven't had time to re-list it.  

Mark

ban him for welching!

dare I ask how much? wouldn't work with a FSP would it? does it cover the FSP?
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Ergo ladders
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Troy BRC

Magpul XT

Surefire Ladders
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top