Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2013 5:31:56 PM EDT
I was able to sell our land and I used some of the profits to buy a KLR 650.  Googling some modifications, I came across some that have been rattle-can painted and look good.  

This is my only vehicle so the paint and setup can't be too crazy.  Only mods thus far are a handlebar gun rack I modified so it will lock an Ar-15 somewhat securely.   Since this is my daily driver, I need some cheap lockable storage like 40mm ammo cans or storage trunk.  I am not a big fan of the logos and dark red paint but is OD green, flat dark earth, etc. to over the top?  The only painting would be the plastics since I'm on a budget.

Suggestions and thoughts about these setups?

Current setup.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This is mine.  Krylon OD camo paint. . I say RockIt!

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe this?

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice KLR - I've always like the red and the Kawi "mean green" ones better than the olive ones.

I've had a KLR 650 and was never a fan of ammo cans on the sides.  They're pretty small and very heavy for the amount of storage you get.  Also pretty hard to set up for a decent quick-detach system.  But, my biggest concern - and this is an issue with all metal boxes on dual sports - at some point you're likely to have an off-road tip over.  Those corners on the ammo cans will do some real damage to your legs if you're unlucky.

A box on the rear rack is a pretty nice thing to have.  Stays out of the wind on the highway (better mileage), can be a backrest for a passenger, and they are generally either quick-detach or don't take tool long to uninstall.  If you don't want to build your own and shelling our big bucks for Givi luggage isn't in the cards, you might check JC Whitney - they used to have a smaller topbox with universal mounting plate that worked well on a dual-sport and was pretty inexpensive.  I had one and it was very handy.  

Oh, and traditional, obligatory KLR warning - upgrade your "doohickey" if you haven't already!

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a 2001 KLR. They're great bikes.

The standard for a KLR is the Walmart "packer" boxes. I thoguht long and hard about panniers and just didn't couldn't decide. I had a big tank bag that held a lot of gear.

On paint, mine was faded Olive, and I painted it tan. It was o.k., btu needed some sort of clear coat as if looked like dead moss (kinda fuzzy).
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't paint the bike. I'm no paint expert, but the paint doesn't seem to stick to plastic very well and, if I remember correctly, you need a special paint for the gas tank that will stand up to gasoline. I had an aftermarket tank I painted years ago and the paint peeled badly off of the tank from gas exposure. Also, I believe it will decrease value of bike.........but, it's yours.

Nice gun rack BTW.......
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Just some ideas for boxes, scabbards, and bags.

Offered for the storage box idea, not the shotgun.  

And just some bike pics for the fun of it.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't paint the bike. I'm no paint expert, but the paint doesn't seem to stick to plastic very well and, if I remember correctly, you need a special paint for the gas tank that will stand up to gasoline. I had an aftermarket tank I painted years ago and the paint peeled badly off of the tank from gas exposure. Also, I believe it will decrease value of bike.........but, it's yours.

Nice gun rack BTW.......

KLR fuel tanks are metal, so no problem with paint adherence like on many dirt bike gas tanks.  There are lots of people that have painted the plastics with Krylon Fusion or other plastic specific paints.  It holds up for a while, but will eventually chip off.  I think that some of the DIY bedliner stuff is also popular and holds up a bit better.  

I probably wouldn't bother to paint it if it were mine, but, KLRs aren't expensive bikes, so don't sweat resale value - do what you want and have fun!

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't care about resale value.  I got the bike cheap and won't have the money to buy another vehicle for at least a year.

I didn't like the panner look and a single box mounted to the rack sounds like a better idea.  I didn't consider the gas or danger of dumping the bike with sharp cornered boxes beside my legs.

Here is a closer look at the gun rack.  It is just a standard $20 ATV rack.  I made a steel "J" hook out bar that drops down the ejection port and out the magwel which then locks to the handlebar crossbar with a large lock but that's not pictured.  All I have to do is lock the bolt to the rear and drop in the lock bar which locks both the upper and lower to the bike.  It does nothing to protect the Aimpoint but I am working on something for that soon.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Add in another KLR owner (well, former, found it wasn't getting much seat time moving from CO to GA...  no good off-roading down here near me).  Personally, I wouldn't paint it either (it is an instant depreciation in value, and I'll put money down that it's not a "forever" bike for you), at least not until it NEEDS paint from use and abuse.  

Skip the ammo cans, they are WAY heavy and very small for what they offer.  You'd be better off with cheap soft saddlebags and a milk crate or "tough tote" on the top for hauling duty.  Hard bags on the side also have another issue, they tend to be leg breakers if you "dab" while off balance and dont manage to get your leg out of the way in time.  We saw several guys a year experience this back in CO (usually on BMWs).  I ran the "Original Side Rack" with Ortleib soft bags when touring.  In any case, I'd spend more money on making the bike ride and fit right first..  bar risers (as needed, I needed +2inch at 6'4") were essential for me.  Same with stiffer front springs and a replacement rear shock, a braided front brake line and full service (the swingarm and linkage on mine were nearly frozen solid, and the bike was a "babied", 5 year old and 8k mile example).  I'm on the fence with the "doo", it's cheap and easy but I think it's mostly internet paranoia that drives this cottage industry.

Don't skimp on the protective gear, too many txting teens out there on the roads that think it's okay to bump into other traffic at speed.  You have no control over someone else tagging you.... and I hear that crashing without gear sucks, though I've not experienced it (crashing WITH gear is bad enough).  

If you absolutely insist on going "military", try finding some Mermite cans (aluminum, used to transport hot/cold foodstuffs) and try to emulate the M1030M1 (KLR with diesel plant from HDT that's actually used by the military):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/M1030m1.jpg

No idea where you're located, but if you need any mechanical assistance, I'm a pro MC mechanic at the south end of Meriwether county and will gladly help out.  Give ya a discounted rate on any work you just want done, otherwise just a donation (pizza/beer type) for helping out would be appreciated, but not required.  :)
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]
It's Painted!  Not the most original color idea, not the best looking, but I like it.  I still need to add a metal skid plate, get some knobbies, and a BFL sticker.  

I thought about painting the shiny stuff but I got lazy.

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#11]
The KLR looks good like that!

I was cleaning the garage last night and found my old KLR "quick jack".  It's just the thing for a roadside/trailside tire change if you can't find a rock, log, or Democrat to shove under the bike to get the back wheel off the ground.  Used with the side stand, it basically makes a temporary center stand. Free if you want it - I'm on the north side of town around Kennesaw and Marietta.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks great! Gahhh I want one now!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought about painting the shiny stuff but I got lazy.

You've got a really good start on it though
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice! I keep trying to convince the guys to let me paint a bike with bed liner.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the offer fatdoggie but that's a heck of a drive for me so I'll have to pass.

I really like the new color.  I have a couple OD BFG logo stickers in route to finish it off.  I haven't decided if I want to try and paint the seat to get rid of the Kaw logo.

I need to find a larger trunk eventually if I expect to go too far with it.  I need to do something about the crappy sewing machine sounding exhaust too when enough funds come available.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#16]
What a HUGE improvement.  Not sure that painting the shiny is required.  

As we saw at the filming of LO, you sure can ride that thang.

ETA  If you paint the shiny, I would paint it ALL.  Black out everything.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I really like the new color.  I have a couple OD BFG logo stickers in route to finish it off.  I haven't decided if I want to try and paint the seat to get rid of the Kaw logo.

quote]

don't paint the seat. Buy a can of Goof Off and wipe the logo off. Test it under the seat to make sure it won't melt it first. I cleaned a ton of wood stain off my landcruiser with Goof Off and it never cut through the paint. I did rewax it afterwards though.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#18]
There's a fix for the exhaust too. Try KLR650.net for the specifics, but it involved pounding a bar into the exhaust to knock out a plate or something. Mine had already been done and it was loud.

There's also the tractor supply John deere muffler fix.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I tried paint thinner on the seat logo but didn't try goof off.  I don't mind the seat logo as much as I did the Power Ranger style graphics.  I also found some vinyl paint but I don't want to spend another $10 on a can of paint just for the seat.

I'll have to look into the low cost exhaust mods on klr.net.

Quoted:

I am going to stay lazy and keep the shiny the same.  It looks pretty good that way anyway  Blacking it all out would look cool but that's a lot of work!

I don't know about being able to ride, there were more than a few times I thought I was going to get stuck in the mud or lay it down during the trailer shoot.  Riding it that hard sure was a trial by fire, that was only my second day on this bike since I bought it the day before the shoot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
that was only my second day on this bike since I bought it the day before the shoot.[/div]

even more impressive.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I tried paint thinner on the seat logo but didn't try goof off.  I don't mind the seat logo as much as I did the Power Ranger style graphics.  I also found some vinyl paint but I don't want to spend another $10 on a can of paint just for the seat.

I'll have to look into the low cost exhaust mods on klr.net.

Quoted:

I am going to stay lazy and keep the shiny the same.  It looks pretty good that way anyway  Blacking it all out would look cool but that's a lot of work!

I don't know about being able to ride, there were more than a few times I thought I was going to get stuck in the mud or lay it down during the trailer shoot.  Riding it that hard sure was a trial by fire, that was only my second day on this bike since I bought it the day before the shoot.

If you ride on USFS roads, be careful about any exhaust mods that destroy or do away with the spark arrestor.  I think my KLR had fairly quiet Supertrapp of some sort on it.  Probably more of a weight savings than anything else.  IIRC, the factory muffler is pretty hefty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I prefer the stock look, but I have to admit, it looks good!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top