Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2007 6:34:05 PM EDT
I posted this over in General - but thought I'd do the same over here for you Oregon folks.

Here you go!

My wife and I had the good fortune to be able to attend Thunder Ranch this week.  We spent two days training with Clint Smith.  What an incredible experience!  Clint's wife, Heidi, is great too!

We started out arriving Monday, ready to roll.

We spent all Monday on the handguns.  I had my Glock 30 loaded with mags from the G21.  My wife had her HK P2000 in 9 mm.  We worked on accuracy, tilting targets, drawing, shooting from the ground, malfunctions, etc.  Not many pics from the first day because we were so busy.  

Here's one of my wife and Clint:

Here's the fallout from day 1:

My target's on the right.

Then, on day 2, the AR fun started:

We got to run through this contraption:

It's designed to completely mess with your head, requiring you to contort into every imaginable position to get shots off, including:

Finally, we got a few runs through the Terminator 3 - one each solo, and one in tag-team fashion.

If you EVER get a chance to attend Thunder Ranch, DON'T pass it up.  I learned more in two days with Clint than I could have possibly picked up elsewhere.

Go!
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!  I would love to attend T/R sometime.

Mark.
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
For a moment there I thought it was the thunder ranch on mclouglin boulevard with the interesting dancers.

But I gotta attend that place.
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For a moment there I thought it was the thunder ranch on mclouglin boulevard with the interesting dancers.

They're just a BIT different!

Although the pics from the local one might be more interesting!
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the combo course?

Thx

Wish I could share a class with my wife
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is the combo course?

Thx

Wish I could share a class with my wife

We actually did a tutorial - so there were no other students. Our call on how the class went.

But he IS offering a Handgun/AR Intergration course in '08.
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
That's awesome.  One on one with Clint.

Did you have dinner at the house?

Gackman and I did Urban Rifle last year, can't wait for the combined 1911/AR15 course in '08.

The Rock

The Group

The House
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I've taken a few courses from him.  Excellent instruction.

How is your wife's experience with guns?  Was that class too much for her?

Link Posted: 5/17/2007 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's awesome.  One on one with Clint.

Did you have dinner at the house?

No dinner at the house - but we did have lunches there.  Fantastic place!
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This is my wife's first handgun.  She's shot a few times previously - but certainly not 600 rounds in two days.  She was exhausted and sore - but she said she had way more fun than she thought she would.  Clint's attitude was a big part of that.  He always made her feel like she was making progress - which she was.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is my wife's first handgun.  She's shot a few times previously - but certainly not 600 rounds in two days.  She was exhausted and sore - but she said she had way more fun than she thought she would.  Clint's attitude was a big part of that.  He always made her feel like she was making progress - which she was.  

Glad she liked it!   The subtleties of Clint's 30+ years of experience teaching people to shoot comes through from time to time.  

It is hard to convey that to people some times.   "what makes his class so special?"  "why is it so expensive?"

I'm trying to figure out how to send my wife and a group of her friends down there as a group. (my personal rule = don't teach anyone you are sleeping with how to shoot).  Anyway, Heidi was pretty cool, basically said they hadn't set the ladies only class date yet and they'd set it up however we wanted if I had a class load of chicks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I sure hope that your Glock was chamber empty with how you had it shoved in your back waistband!

Glad that you two had a good time.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I sure hope that your Glock was chamber empty with how you had it shoved in your back waistband!

Glad that you two had a good time.  

It was in a Comp-TAC holster - so it's all good!  
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#13]
"I'm trying to figure out how to send my wife and a group of her friends down there as a group. (my personal rule = don't teach anyone you are sleeping with how to shoot)."

I am prolly reading way to much into this statement, but does it mean that you are sleeping with her friends as well?  

You sir are DA MAN!

All kidding aside, I look at shooting the same way as you.  Aside from some basic safety stuff I let others teach my wife.  I have found that the results are always better and she feels more comfortable with her self afterwords.

I have the same views on driving as well I think that you should learn from a disinterested third party and NOT your parents.

Link Posted: 5/21/2007 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I have never thought about the kepping separate in the Basic classes, that makes a lot of sense.  I am trying to find a way to get her to shoot more, so she stays familiar with it.  She has no friends that own guns or at least CCW, so out with the girls is out of the question they would much rather go eat fondu.  

I am thinking about getting my neighbors to go out with us, we could all take turns watching the kids and shooting.  Not the most ideal situation but you adapt and overcome.

Awsome class and I am very jealous of the two of you.  I think doing anykind of hobbies with your spouse brings you closer to one another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top