Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2016 9:26:01 PM EDT
Thinking about taking a nursing gig in Barrow.  I've always wanted to visit Alaska, would like to know more about living, working and outdoor opportunities in Barrow.  Anyone that has any experience with the above, if you could help a flatlander out I'd appreciate it

Jason
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.... That is a culture shock.

Thinking of driving to Barrow?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]

It's not Barrow anymore there bud.  It's now Utqiagvik  Expect subzero temps all winter with ~60mph winds and to not see the sun for over two months.  Only gets up to ~45f in the summers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utqia%C4%A1vik,_Alaska#Browerville

If you are serious about coming to Alaska for nursing jobs, look at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, they are looking for a lot of folks right now.  Get used to Alaska and then consider something like that.  Going straight to Barrow will break you.  Btw, that is ALL of Barrow in the 2nd image.  Kinda the northern most anything in the  US.

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, you probably want to do some google time on Barrow
Not sure it is what you expect
View Quote

Lol this x10,000 I love this state and will never leave but fuck living in Barrow.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol this x10,000 I love this state and will never leave but fuck living in Barrow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, you probably want to do some google time on Barrow
Not sure it is what you expect

I'd take my chances of getting stabbed in Fort Yukon over living in Barrow.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
No there is not any formal ranges in Barrow.  Two gravel pits that you get run out of anymore.  Most people go inland or down the coast to shoot anymore.  

The Friends of the NRA is very active there however.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it is what you are expecting.  It's third world living in a first world nation.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Guys, that's actually about what I'm expecting.  I ain't going for the scenery  I had looked at pics already, hadn't really googled life in Barrow, will definitely do that.

I was planning on seeing what the suicide rate is...but I've been a lot of cold places.  Not that cold, not that dark, but as a temporary gig I think I can take it.  If not, I know how to cut my losses.  Not much of a drinker, don't do drugs, don't mind spending time alone reading a book, watching a movie, etc.  I've been some pretty miserable places and survived.

Thanks for the warnings though guys.  Any other info other than "OMG Don't go!" would be welcome.  In fact any at all, but I get the point with the above
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Temp gig? A year or a little more... Do it. An adventure you will never forget. I would never live there, but would go in a heartbeat. What do you have to loose? I have friends that have worked there for a few years in and out and it's quite a place if you have an out. (A way to leave with a time scheduled)

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I need a little adventure in my life and it doesn't hurt to get paid to do it  Plus, I might get to kill a vampire LOL
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell, in the winter time, you can probably just go to the beach, pace out your ranges, put your targets on the ice, and shoot north.  Watch out for polar bears though.

Having been to some pretty small villages (not Barrow), it would be an interesting place to live for a term job.  If you don't mind living conditions that aren't up to lower 48 standards in some respects, it sure would be an experience.  Maybe you could help out with their whale harvest.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thinking about taking a nursing gig in Barrow.  I've always wanted to visit Alaska, would like to know more about living, working and outdoor opportunities in Barrow.  Anyone that has any experience with the above, if you could help a flatlander out I'd appreciate it

Jason
View Quote

Trying to figure out if you're serious
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If you've got an exit plan go for it. I'd recommend spending some time in a nicer part of the state first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top