Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2009 6:46:05 AM EDT
I know what a redtail hawk looks like and this is NOT one.  It has a relatively "narrow" wing profile, seems smaller than a redtail hawk.  It swoops and dives.  It has rather long, straight tail feathers.  Color is dark-ish. Im tempted to say a falcon of some sort.  It is also NOT a sparrow hawk, because those are about the size of a bluejay or slightly larger.  This hawk is bigger, maybe the size of a large crow.  I started looking around at pictures, at first thinking it might be a harris hawk, but the tail feathers arent right.  This bird has the tail feathers of a falcon - long and straight when in flight.  Ive seen sparrow hawks in flight and "hovering" and it acts very similar.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Perigrine Falcon?

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats kind of what I was thinking, but didnt think there were any in Texas ?  Next time, ill get my binoculars out to get a closer look.
I will try to get some photos, but I dont have a camera with a telephoto lens.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#3]
watch this video of a falcon in flight
notice the tail feathers.  This is exactly the shape of the tail feathers on the bird I saw.

There have been a few times Ive come home to see this same bird take off from a perch under the eve of my house.  It took off so fast, I couldnt get a good look at it except the wing profile and how it flew.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but didnt think there were any in Texas ? Next time, ill get my binoculars out to get a closer look.

I see them all of the time just north of you around Lake Texoma.

I almost got a good picture of a bald eagle out there a few weeks ago through my rifle scope with my phone but it's hard as hell to keep a scope focused on something and try to line up your phone and take a picture of something a couple hundred yards away all off the side of the bed of your truck in a big wind.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thats kind of what I was thinking, but didnt think there were any in Texas ?  Next time, ill get my binoculars out to get a closer look.

Break out a shotgun and shoot the damn thing.  Take a picture of it, and we will identify it.  Shotguns are cheaper and more practical than telephoto lenses anyway.  

FWIW this is the best method of bird identification available.  I have used it on bald eagles, spotted owls, peregrine falcons, and other endangered species.  It doesn't work well on things like snail darters and pupfish, because all it leaves is a hole in the mud.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know what a redtail hawk looks like and this is NOT one.  It has a relatively "narrow" wing profile, seems smaller than a redtail hawk.  It swoops and dives.  It has rather long, straight tail feathers.  Color is dark-ish. Im tempted to say a falcon of some sort.  It is also NOT a sparrow hawk, because those are about the size of a bluejay or slightly larger.  This hawk is bigger, maybe the size of a large crow.  I started looking around at pictures, at first thinking it might be a harris hawk, but the tail feathers arent right.  This bird has the tail feathers of a falcon - long and straight when in flight.  Ive seen sparrow hawks in flight and "hovering" and it acts very similar.

Maybe a sparrow hawk?
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Thats kind of what I was thinking, but didnt think there were any in Texas ? Next time, ill get my binoculars out to get a closer look.

I see them all of the time just north of you around Lake Texoma.

I almost got a good picture of a bald eagle out there a few weeks ago through my rifle scope with my phone but it's hard as hell to keep a scope focused on something and try to line up your phone and take a picture of something a couple hundred yards away all off the side of the bed of your truck in a big wind.

Hmmm, you've shot bald eagles huh ?

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe a sparrow hawk?

Nope, sparrow hawks (kestrel) are about the size of a robin or bluejay.  This bird was much larger.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Cooper's Hawk?

They're maybe a bit bigger than a crow and like to eat pigeons.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
We have tons of Falcons up and around Brenham and College Station. They hangout on the power lines overlooking the fields.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cooper's Hawk?

They're maybe a bit bigger than a crow and like to eat pigeons.

Looking at the pics of a coopers hawk, I think we have a winner!

That is the tail alright.

in flight

front view ( I recognize the brown feathers)

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
highjack thread time........I have/view a pair of Hawks in west Houston/Katy that are large bodied birds...like a hawk rather than a falcon and have large white splotches/spots on both wings and on the tail. The white area is very large/pronounced on the wings and tail. I have been meening to look it up on the net for some time...but since we have the bird experts primed? Any body know the species? I am familiar with red-tailed hawks having keep them as a child...not these.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hmmm, you've shot bald eagles huh ?

No, I actually thought it was buzzard sitting on a dead cow on the edge of the water but when I looked to see what it was I realized it was a bald eagle sitting on a tree stump maybe eating something. Since I was already there I just tried to take a picture. Either way, I wasn't going to shoot it, just taking a look.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
What I normally see here in Wise County is called a Mississippi Kite.  Smaller than a Red Tail, larger than a peregrine.  Make a cool call, too.  These are extremely common and are often mistaken for hawks.

LD
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, men!

great question and GREAT pics!

this old gray-head learned a lot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top