Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2010 7:58:14 AM EDT
There was a flurry of news reports a couple days ago about the Utah non-resident concealed carry licenses being issued here (and elsewhere in the country). Some people don't seem to like them, but they're 100% legal and I know some of the flack came from TX instructors who just don't like losing the business. Of course, they could do like my instructor and offer both.

Anyway, I wonder if it's blown over ... I heard one legislator was planning on contesting it in the next session of the Legislature next year. Considering that we have the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms, I hope he gets his ass handed to him. My wife and I have Utah licenses and I personally think Texas needs to streamline their process to be more like Utah's.

In fact, I also hope open carry gets brought up again. If concealed carry makes a crook wonder if you might be armed, open carry removes all doubt.

Link Posted: 6/28/2010 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

There was a flurry of news reports a couple days ago about the Utah non-resident concealed carry licenses being issued here (and elsewhere in the country). Some people don't seem to like them, but they're 100% legal and I know some of the flack came from TX instructors who just don't like losing the business. Of course, they could do like my instructor and offer both.

Anyway, I wonder if it's blown over ... I heard one legislator was planning on contesting it in the next session of the Legislature next year. Considering that we have the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms, I hope he gets his ass handed to him. My wife and I have Utah licenses and I personally think Texas needs to streamline their process to be more like Utah's.

In fact, I also hope open carry gets brought up again. If concealed carry makes a crook wonder if you might be armed, open carry removes all doubt.

Haven't heard anything new, but I also don't listen as much as I should.

I would suggesting doing what the typical ARFCOMMER does and get both.

Link Posted: 6/28/2010 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Why both?  I've never really thought about it, but what's the advantage?
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're a Texas resident, possessing a:

Utah CHL lets you carry in WA, WV, OH

Texas CHL lets you carry in NM, KS, SC, CO, MI, and FL, and you don't have to fill out the ATF forms when purchasing a firearm.

These states are, of course, in addition to the reciprocity agreements that Utah and Texas share.

~Bill
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why both?  I've never really thought about it, but what's the advantage?

1. You can carry in additional states that Texas does not have reciprocity with. I think Utah adds Ohio, Washington State, West Virginia, Minnesota, and New Hampshire, but don't quote me on that;
2. If your Texas CHL renewal gets delayed for any reason (like a bureaucratic snafu or a backlog of renewals), you can continue to carry under your Utah CHL and vice versa; and
3. ????
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Texas CHL lets you carry in NM, KS, SC, CO, MI, and FL, and you don't have to fill out the ATF forms when purchasing a firearm.

These states are, of course, in addition to the reciprocity agreements that Utah and Texas share.

~Bill

Yes, you still have to fill out the forms ( i think form 4473) when purchasing. Exceptions are an individuals private sale.  No, there is no NICS.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Bill

Yes, you still have to fill out the forms ( i think form 4473) when purchasing. Exceptions are an individuals private sale.  No, there is no NICS.

You would be correct, it's the 4473. I love not having to fuck with the NICS.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry, temporary brain lapse, I meant you don't need to worry about the background check, since your background was already checked  in depth during the CHL approval.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Utah reciprocity map:

Texas reciprocity map:

Source: http://www.handgunlaw.us

At the time I got my Utah license, there were more states honoring it than the Texas license, and I count right there is still a one or two state advantage to the Utah CHL.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At the time I got my Utah license, there were more states honoring it than the Texas license, and I count right there is still a one or two state advantage to the Utah CHL.

I count 32 states that honor a TX permit, and 29 that honor a Utah permit

TX - VT, DE, PA, VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, FL, TN, KY, IN, MI, MN, MO, AR, TX, OK, KS, NE, SD, ND, MT, WY, CO, NM, AZ, UT, ID, AK

UT - VT, DE, PA, VA, NC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TN, KY, WV, IN, OH, MN, MO, AR, TX, OK, NE, SD, ND, MT, WY, AZ, UT, ID, WA, AK

~Bill
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I count 32 states that honor a TX permit, and 29 that honor a Utah permit

TX - VT, DE, PA, VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, FL, TN, KY, IN, MI, MN, MO, AR, TX, OK, KS, NE, SD, ND, MT, WY, CO, NM, AZ, UT, ID, AK

UT - VT, DE, PA, VA, NC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TN, KY, WV, IN, OH, MN, MO, AR, TX, OK, NE, SD, ND, MT, WY, AZ, UT, ID, WA, AK

~Bill

Yep, the current count is in favor of a TX licensee, since SC, FL, MI and CO will recognize TX resident license holders, and MI, CO and FL don't honor Utah non-resident licensees.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top