Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2010 12:46:32 PM EDT
Character Band-Aid Drive
Children should not have to get Blood Transfusions and/or Chemotherapy. Routine IV needle sticks are painful and traumatic to deal with for kids. To make it easier on them I am collecting NEW UNOPENED boxes of character Band-Aids (examples: Dinosaurs, Cartoons, Comic books Heroes or any fun design) for donation to the Pediatric Hematology-Oncology centers of Brooklyn Hospital Pediatric Hematology Oncology and Schneider's Childrens Hospital

I’d like to collect as many boxes as possible to donate by my son’s next transfusion (April 16th 2010)
Contact me - Anthony Gorman at [email protected] or by PM for mailing details or box drop locations (still in the works).

ETA Mailing Address is
Anthony Gorman
PO Box 20223
Huntington Station New York 11746

(box 556 was taken as well as 223 so I got the 20 round 223 PO box )

Thank you in ADVANCE
Here is a pic of my son at one of his more recent blood transfusions (Rock & Roll) he has been getting transfused since he was 15 months old

He has an extremely rare form of bone marrow failure that less than 600 people on the planet have for more info checkhttp://www.marrowfailure.cancer.gov/DBA.html

Some ideas
http://www.mcphee.com/shop/search.php?search_query=bandaid
http://www.medibadge.com/Bandages_C48.cfm?UserID=1703572&jsessionid=5430d1d75205b$AF$DB$&Page=2

Link Posted: 4/1/2010 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll get a few boxes and send them your way the next time I make a trip to Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anthony, I just cleaned out my CVS in Valley Stream.
Leaving in the morning for the woods, what the hell do you want me to do with 17 boxes of band-aids
Send me a IM with instructions my friend
Mark

Thanks Brother, Oh and Pics will psot tomorrow when he is back from GrandMa's

PM inbound
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like he's got a great attitude, which is a huge thing for people in these types of situations.  It's very admirable.

PM inbound.

My thoughts are you with and yours.

-Dan
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
bump

eta- Got the boxes last night DirectAction -Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Starting to come in from the LIF & ARFCOM folks
Thanks for the kind words and support
(eta - in TRUE ARFCOM fashsion his favorite ones are the BACON STRIP band aids, maybe we should make BFL band aids?)
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]
someone send me a shipping address

edit:  thank you.  keep an eye out for the big brown truck!
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
between Fish223 & Mag162 they have bumped us up to 140 boxes

Thanks guys !!!

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#17]
He should put out his own line of designer band-aids.

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump––-

Came home from after school fishing with Liam today and had a couple more dozen on the doorstep.
Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Got some more boxs in the mail today including
An anonymous box of containing 45 boxes of band-aids !!!

Thanks Guys

Keep clinging to your guns and religion, seems to me your not to bitter.

eta - updated number just got another 200+ when we got home.
(notice his patch)
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Way to deliver ARFCOM!
Damn proud of you guys!
Joe

Keep Em Coming Guys. You are helping a good cause.

Oh and Fish223 the Ouchies are AWESOME
Ouchies

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the support.
We have received over 400 boxes of band aids from AR15.com, LongIslandFirearms as well as friends and family.

We appreciate the warmth and support. I will post a new thread tomorrow with picture from transfusion day. Thank you again.

Stay Safe and God Bless.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
My Apologies for the delay. Transfusion day the battery ran out on the camera (dammit). He ound up getting 2 IV sticks (took em' like a champ) and 2 units of blood. It was a LONG day for both of us.
Liam was able to bring close to 500 boxes and we still have some that are trickling in. The hospital will be writing all who donated shortly. I want to thank all of you for the support. Here are some pics before the battery crapped out.

I'm Ready

1st stick

2nd stick

knocked out

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In every sense of the word...I would proudly give him my Stetson.

Been traveling...but I have another box prepared and ready to be shipped.

Hang in there little warrior....many here, could learn a thing about courage from those photos.....

Damn allergies...seems like a bit of dust just kicked up...

These are some amazingly powerful pictures. He's a champ and his attitude, just from the pictures, is awe inspiring.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My Apologies for the delay. Transfusion day the battery ran out on the camera (dammit). He ound up getting 2 IV sticks (took em' like a champ) and 2 units of blood.

Yikes. Can't they use a  PICC line?

Link Posted: 4/27/2010 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My Apologies for the delay. Transfusion day the battery ran out on the camera (dammit). He ound up getting 2 IV sticks (took em' like a champ) and 2 units of blood.

Yikes. Can't they use a  PICC line?

Great to avoid multiple sticks in a short time (less than one month) but it sounds like Liam goes a couple times a year, so a PICC line is not appropriate.  Plus, a PICC line is a lot more technique sensitive to place, and requires much more care than a standard place and remove IV.

Given a choice for my own kids for once or twice yearly IV access for a transfusion, I would rather they get stuck twice than place a PICC.

Glad the Band-Aid drive went well.  Liam is a trooper, no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Great to avoid multiple sticks in a short time (less than one month) but it sounds like Liam goes a couple times a year, so a PICC line is not appropriate.

AFAIK Liam has Diamond Blackfan Anemia and requires transfusions of 1-2 units of packed red blood cells every 2-3 weeks.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=378473

Link Posted: 4/27/2010 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#38]
If he goes twice a month, then he could get stuck every other visit, but have to maintain the PICC properly in the interim.  

don't know why I assumed a couple of time a year.

In any event, sucks to get stuck
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If he goes twice a month, then he could get stuck every other visit, but have to maintain the PICC properly in the interim.  
don't know why I assumed a couple of time a year.
In any event, sucks to get stuck

We have had extensive discussions with his PMD and medical teams regarding PICC lines. If he gets sick or a slight temp, thatwould be 10 days of antibiotics. Since he is responsible he will not pull it out or tamper with it, it will give his vasculature a break. There are pros and cons and the PICC may be in his near future. We'll see.

He does scoff and say he hates the "pointy things" - However he is a champ and stronger than a 5 year old should be.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In every sense of the word...I would proudly give him my Stetson...

Thanks - Liam has to grow into this one first

That was given to me when I was dispatched to Texas during Hurricaines Katrina & Rita.
A Texas State Trooper took it off and gave it to me as a token of thanks. I took my NYC Medic shirt off and gave it to him in return.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Please PM me an address and I will get a box of em out ASAP. Give that little warrior a hug for he is inspiring the heck out of people!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2010 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Stay Tuned folks, We'll be on Radio Free ARFCOM Monday and Liam may have the phone for a few. So you may get a lecture on Paleontology and dinosaur behavior from a 5 year old.

Tomorrow is Liam's next transfusion and we still have band aid boxes coming in. I'll do my best to update from the Hospital.

Thanks again for the support
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Package inbound!
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Transfusion went well (5/7/10) >hold for pic<
The hospital said that the children are SOOOOO sooooo Happy to have such a huge selection of band aids to choose from.
Ouchies, Spongebob, Dora, Transformers, Iron Man, Looney Tunes, Pickles, Bacon, Crime Scene Tape... The list goes on and on. Every single one of them count and has brought huge smiles to the kids already.
So Thank You Thank You Thank You THANK YOU.

Liam's transfusion went well, and without hesitation picked a Bacon Band Aid again (in true ARFCOM form)

The hospital will be reaching out with thank you letters based on the return address labels.
I truly can not thank you guys enough.

Rememer Monday 5/10/10 Radio Free ARFCOM we will take the drive to a national audience and will be setting up a PO box for shipping.

Stay Safe - God Bless -

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top