Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2013 4:15:54 AM EDT
I have friends in NY that are asking if a mag block would be acceptable to comply with the new SAFE law.

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/ar15-magblocks/colt-usgi-10-20-block.html

The law is a little fuzzy at best, will a mag block be sufficient to comply?

Regards,
Dan
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 4:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Readily convertible to High Capacity. Unless the floor plate is permanently attached I would guess its a no go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, you would need to rivit, epoxy, etc. the floor plate too.   I purchased a couple for testing and they work as advertised.  I am not permanently fucking up any mags till the last possible moment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Crazy thing is that technically you can whip out a 100/75 round drum or a 20/30/40 round mag at the range provided its modified. It still will not alleviate the fear response from those unaware. It seems public fear will remain since visually there is no difference or identifying marks. I'm sure public RSO's are looking forward to this.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#4]
No one knows. The state has not provided any instructions or standards explaining what constitutes an acceptable/permanent magazine modification.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The instructions should be interesting as they would have to account for both poly and steel magazine bodies. Not so simple.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I do plan on sacrificing some Israeli thermolds to the epoxy gods for range use.  But the rest of my mags are going to stay unmolested till the last possible moment
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#8]
They should stay unmolested forever, we will win in court.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It will be if you can pemanently secure the baseplate.  I ordered some various blocks from that company for differeent mags to experiment with.  I have mags that were beat up and prone to misfead, double feed, jam etc.  So they went to the cause of blocking them and trying to disassemble them.  It depends on the mag.. With those ar-15 mag blocks, I epoxied the spring to the block, then applied epoxy to the bottom of the block and replaced the floorplate.  I let it cure for 24 hours and that suckers not coming apart.

So far I have sucessfully blocked permanantly, AR-15 mags both 20 and 30 round, AK-47 mag 30 round, and FAL mag 20 round.  For the FAL mag, I used red loctite on the baseplate because the epoxy wouldn't hold.  With the locktite, she's solid.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've got a bunch of blocks.  Epoxy should be sufficient.

Also, the law has a "dumbass defense" (as Aimless referred to it once).

S 265.36 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF  A  LARGE  CAPACITY  AMMUNITION  FEEDING  DEVICE.

IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL FOR A PERSON TO KNOWINGLY POSSESS A LARGE CAPACI
TY  AMMUNITION  FEEDING DEVICE MANUFACTURED BEFORE SEPTEMBER THIRTEENTH,
NINETEEN HUNDRED NINETY-FOUR, AND IF SUCH PERSON LAWFULLY POSSESSED SUCH
LARGE CAPACITY FEEDING DEVICE BEFORE THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF  THE  CHAPTER
OF  THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH ADDED THIS SECTION, THAT HAS
A CAPACITY OF, OR THAT CAN BE READILY RESTORED OR CONVERTED  TO  ACCEPT,
MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION.

Considering it's written in unintelligible gibberish no one even knows WTF this section of the statute even means.

From the NYSRPA district court complaint filed on 03-21-2013:

Page 40:

156. New § 256.36 appears to prohibit some type of possession of large capacity

ammunition feeding devices. Because the language of § 256.36 does not constitute an intelligible

sentence, it does not provide notice of the conduct ostensibly prohibited and is unconstitutionally

vague.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#12]
This is totally illegal for noncompliance and civil disobedience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top