Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2013 6:04:23 PM EDT
I am looking for a knife to carry for self defense. I did a little research, and the interpretation of the law is unfucking real. It seriously has me pissed off. Rules out every knife I was looking at. I want to stay legal, so no "concealed is concealed". What do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Spyderco UKPK, or a high end single edged benchmade balisong. Keep it in your pocket unless using it, no pocket clip visible.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Article on knife law

Interesting read on NY state law .... its kinda sad
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
from what I understand, if it can be opened with one hand, or locks, or is carried in a pocket clip with the clip showing, it's no good. . .not sure if it's a felony---but it might be, . . .really. .
FWIW, I have carried a knife in a pocket clip in NYC almost everyday for over 10 years. . . I was only stopped once, on 42nd St, between Broadway and 8th Ave about a year and a half ago. . .cute Hispanic female officer simply said, "would you mind just dropping that into your pocket----I wouldn't want someone running up and grabbing it from you". . . .YMMV. . . at the time I was carrying a CRKT non-locking folding knife---can't remember the name of it,---I think they don't make it anymore---here's a picture of it:    
I left it in a locker at my gym this past winter. . .
I do tend to cover the clip when I walk by the bag searching table in the subway at GCT. . . . or if any PO's get on the subway car I'm riding in. . . I think most cops realize when they see me, that I'm not someone up to no good, but you never know when someone may need a "collar" for that month. . .

ETA: found it:  "The Edgie"  self sharpening too!:  http://www.pvk.com/webcat/CRKTEdgie'sSelfSharpeningKnife.shtml   less than $20! Guess I'll have to get another one. .

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually carry a simple Case Sodbuster Jr. or an Opinel.

But I'm thinking about ordering a Pingo:

Also...  Small fixed blade knives are supposedly legal to carry hidden, but I wouldn't count on the average NYPD officer knowing that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The New York City Administrative Code makes any knife with a BLADE over 4" illegal.
STATE law makes gravity knives illegal.
I have seen the quote about locking knives, but I personally would not worry about that too much. We used to take BIG 007 knives away from people all the time, never bothered to even write a summons.

The only time a knife usually comes into play is when there is an arrest for something else.

This is NOT legal advice. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have seen the quote about locking knives, but I personally would not worry about that too much. We used to take BIG 007 knives away from people all the time, never bothered to even write a summons.
The only time a knife usually comes into play is when there is an arrest for something else.

Wrong.
Many people have been arrested for nothing other than the knife. My friend was pulled over in Queens and had a Sypderco Endura in his car's center console. They pulled him out and arrested him for CPW 4th for "gravity knife".
Saw many cops in my own precinct stop and charge people with CPW 4th for just seeing the pocket clip of the knife.

007 knives? Wow, you're dating yourself with that one. Haven't seen one of those in years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I carry everyday into the city and I am there daily.. I have never had a problem. YMMV.
CRKT M16-13SFG

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what I carry everyday into the city and I am there daily.. I have never had a problem.
CRKT M16-13SFG

You're lucky. I worked with cops who'd lock you up in a second for that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
This is what I carry.

It is in direct proportion to the amount of rights I have in N.Y.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 1:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
What part on NY are you from?
Upstate ot NYC?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#11]
The only legal knife in NYC is something you can use to spread cream cheese on your bagel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What part on NY are you from?
Upstate ot NYC?

NYC. I am on the subway after 2am due to work, and there are some shady looking people down there at those hours. The main thing, from what I can tell, is your knife can not "flip" open, and it can not lock. Pretty sad an individual has to worry about this....
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#13]
My knife is usually appendix carried inside my waste band.  My shirt covers the clip.  Never had a problem with LE.  But then again, I've never been Stop & Frisk'd either.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]
FYI, self defense = weapon. No go. If it's for utility purposes... no problem as long as its: a) fixed blade-one-sided edge b) less than 4" blade and c) concealed. As always no knuckles or any ornaments that would make it look like a movie prop.
Belt/pocket clips are tricky and can get you jammed up if you forget or have a wardrobe malfunction. You may want to consider a neck knife with accompanying sheath for your "utility" purposes.
A couple that have been recommended on these boards are the Esee Izula and Ka-bar Becker Necker (BK11). Custom sheaths are available as well to suit your concealed carrying needs.

Again this would be for legal NYC concealed carry. NYS (outside of NYC) is a little more relaxed as to length and carry options. Folders are generally a gray area anywhere in NY.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FYI, self defense = weapon. No go. If it's for utility purposes... no problem as long as its: a) fixed blade-one-sided edge b) less than 4" blade and c) concealed. As always no knuckles or any ornaments that would make it look like a movie prop.
Belt/pocket clips are tricky and can get you jammed up if you forget or have a wardrobe malfunction. You may want to consider a neck knife with accompanying sheath for your "utility" purposes.
A couple that have been recommended on these boards are the Esee Izula and Ka-bar Becker Necker (BK11). Custom sheaths are available as well to suit your concealed carrying needs.

Again this would be for legal NYC concealed carry. NYS (outside of NYC) is a little more relaxed as to length and carry options. Folders are generally a gray area anywhere in NY.

They openly sell spring assisted knives at flea markets and gun shows. No one seems to care.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what I carry everyday into the city and I am there daily.. I have never had a problem.
CRKT M16-13SFG

And I walk past and work around LEO's all day
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I never even think of that when I carry a knife - it is usually used for cutting zip ties, shrink wrap, and pallet ties.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I am in NYC everyday.  I carry a Benchmade Pika II.  Thumbhole blade.  I do carry with the clip exposed and know that can be a problem.  I suggest whatever you carry don;t make it too expensive.  Even if you don't get cuffs for carrying, I have a few friends who are NYPD and they have extensive "knife collections".
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
CRKT M16-13SFG

And I walk past and work around LEO's all day

Hopefully the higher ups started putting an end to those BS arrests.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry a pair (yes, 2) of Gerber Magnum LSTs everywhere I go, except when I am in court.

3.46" blade and I can open each with a solid wrist snap.  This is an old school lockback knife with no springs or assists.  I just honed and polished the mechanism with a stone until they can open with a solid snap.

Been carrying this pair for years with no issues and even had an NYPD look me in the eye when I was using one to carve up an apple while within sight of 1PP.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Been carrying this pair for years with no issues and even had an NYPD look me in the eye when I was using one to carve up an apple while within sight of 1PP.

You're not going to find many cops in that area looking to make a arrest.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Seriously - dont leave the clip showing. I was "stop and frisked" by 3 of NY finest
at 61st and Broadway across from Trump Tower. I guy was at least decent but the other
2 were assholes. Try as they might it wouldnt flip open and try they did - repeatedly.

The visible clip constitutes an e felony. Not the knife mind you but the clip that looks like
its part of a bic pen measuring all of 3/4 of an inch.  The decent cop told me to keep it in the bottom
of my pocket. I was asked to show "my union book" as I was on a construction job at NYIT
and when I pulled my trade cards out of my wallet they saw my CCW permit(S) and thats
"when the fight started".........
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seriously - dont leave the clip showing. I was "stop and frisked" by 3 of NY finest
at 61st and Broadway across from Trump Tower. I guy was at least decent but the other
2 were assholes. Try as they might it wouldnt flip open and try they did - repeatedly.

My friend I mentioned above was arrested for the Spyderco Endura when the cop got it to flip open on about the 10th try.

Quoted:
The visible clip constitutes an e felony.

Under what statute? Anyone I ever saw charged for a knife was charged with CPW 4th, a class A misdemeanor. There is no NYS CPW charge that is a class E felony.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Don't carry the fork, that's probably a felony in NYC.  The spoon is probably ok as long as you don't use it for self defense or to eat a large frosty.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Article on knife law

Interesting read on NY state law .... its kinda sad

The whole state is sad affair.  Just one more thing on the list...

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
from what I understand, if it can be opened with one hand, or locks, or is carried in a pocket clip with the clip showing, it's no good. . .not sure if it's a felony---but it might be, . . .really. .

FWIW, I have carried a knife in a pocket clip in NYC almost everyday for over 10 years. . . I was only stopped once, on 42nd St, between Broadway and 8th Ave about a year and a half ago. . .cute Hispanic female officer simply said, "would you mind just dropping that into your pocket----I wouldn't want someone running up and grabbing it from you". . . .YMMV. . . at the time I was carrying a CRKT non-locking folding knife---can't remember the name of it,---I think they don't make it anymore---here's a picture of it:    

I do tend to cover the clip when I walk by the bag searching table in the subway at GCT. . . . or if any PO's get on the subway car I'm riding in. . . I think most cops realize when they see me, that I'm not someone up to no good, but you never know when someone may need a "collar" for that month. . .

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b543/Savwoirfair/CRK6442_1_zps6283bdf3.jpg

ETA: found it:  "The Edgie"  self sharpening too!:  http://www.pvk.com/webcat/CRKTEdgie'sSelfSharpeningKnife.shtml   less than $20! Guess I'll have to get another one. .

Once again, one handed opening is NOT a problem in NYC, it's locking where the problem arises.  The UKPK doesn't lock, period.  Butterfly knives are also exempt, so long as they don't have a double sided blade, as the case law has been set by a Bronx judge years ago.  The "lock" on the bottom of the handles must be manually engaged, and therefore doesn't constitute a gravity knife.  Do not use a pocket clip anywhere that it be seen unless you like unwanted attention.  Stop and frisk is as UnConstitutional as it gets and those in charge of the policy should be charged and locked up for the rest of their miserable lives.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Outside of having to work there, who the fuck want's to visit that police state?
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again, one handed opening is NOT a problem in NYC, it's locking where the problem arises.  The UKPK doesn't lock, period.  Butterfly knives are also exempt, so long as they don't have a double sided blade, as the case law has been set by a Bronx judge years ago.  The "lock" on the bottom of the handles must be manually engaged, and therefore doesn't constitute a gravity knife.  Do not use a pocket clip anywhere that it be seen unless you like unwanted attention.  Stop and frisk is as UnConstitutional as it gets and those in charge of the policy should be charged and locked up for the rest of their miserable lives.

Case law doesn't mean you won't get arrested. The whole "gravity knife" arrest for these knives is bs and the DA's office tells cops that over and over again but they were still making the arrests for it when I retired last year. I told a rookie who had a guy under arrest for CPW 4 that his arrest was going to get tossed out and he just said "I don't care, just looking to get some arrest overtime".
Stop and Frisk done correctly is just a Terry Stop. The problems arise when you have cops who have no training or understanding of the law and when you have cops who listen to supervisors who order them to make bogus stops.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case law doesn't mean you won't get arrested. The whole "gravity knife" arrest for these knives is bs and the DA's office tells cops that over and over again but they were still making the arrests for it when I retired last year. I told a rookie who had a guy under arrest for CPW 4 that his arrest was going to get tossed out and he just said "I don't care, just looking to get some arrest overtime".
Stop and Frisk done correctly is just a Terry Stop. The problems arise when you have cops who have no training or understanding of the law and when you have cops who listen to supervisors who order them to make bogus stops.

Most problems arise from people in white shirts telling others what they should do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top