Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2013 4:28:52 PM EDT
I give you a glimpse of WWII  German Oak B Fall/Winter side of the reversible type 2 smock.

Spring/Summer side of same smock.

I know my Uncle went up against SS Units in the hedgerows of France, and at the Battle of the Bulge, among other places... wearing this same pattern, he said it was extremely effective and now I see why!

How would you like to be snooping and pooping in 1940s Europe looking for an MG42 crew decked out in it?

I'll post some more pics later.....

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat stuff ADK. I have never seen that before. Is it commercially available?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it's on the market for reenactors.   M42 Waffen SS Oak B smock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I'll try it out for turkey thanks man
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been told the surplus flecktarn I sometimes wear blends in really well
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]
the other thread made me spend money now this one will by the end of the day
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]

The Soviets had some good stuff too.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:05:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been told the surplus flecktarn I sometimes wear blends in really well
View Quote

The  Flecktarn  is  very  similar  to  the  german  oak  patterns . Also   one  of  my  favorites .
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Is that you stuffed under the camo?  Man, I  hardly see you!

BTW, not to be too picky, but those photos show MG34 not MG42.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]
pffffff

these are all you need

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is that you stuffed under the camo?  Man, I  hardly see you!

BTW, not to be too picky, but those photos show MG34 not MG42.
View Quote

I knoew you'd nit pick the beltfed pics man,,, I knew it was a 34 in the pic, just didn't go with my uncle's story, the only MG42 pics I could find were reenactors in PEAS camo instead of Oak B

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
adk1 if you are really interested in this stuff you should get :

http://www.amazon.com/Camouflage-Uniforms-Waffen-SS-Photographic-Reference/dp/0887408036
Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen-Ss a Photographic Reference.
Author:
Beaver, Michael D.,  Borsarello, J. F.

ISBN-13:

ISBN:

Publisher:  Schiffer Publishing, Limited

EXPENSIVE but well worth it, fascinating book.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]

outside this afternoon working
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
adk1 if you are really interested in this stuff you should get :

http://www.amazon.com/Camouflage-Uniforms-Waffen-SS-Photographic-Reference/dp/0887408036
Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen-Ss a Photographic Reference.
Author:
Beaver, Michael D.,  Borsarello, J. F.

ISBN-13:

ISBN:

Publisher:  Schiffer Publishing, Limited

EXPENSIVE but well worth it, fascinating book.
View Quote

I appreciate the info, basically I was looking for the most effective camo for our area here in the foothills of the Adirondacks.
Many of the German patterns work well here as we live in a temperate zone, and they really did their homework on patterns that work in a wide variety of places.

One pattern I like other than the Oak patterns are the Stumftarn pattern used by the West German BGS (Border Guard and GSG9 units.)

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a copy I can lend you if you want to check it out.  It delves into the research behind the patterns etc.  Honestly the work done behind them is VERY extensive and impressive even by today's standards.   They knew all about macro and micro patterns, and sought to produce patterns that worked closely and yet didn't "blob out" at longer distances so they still broke up the human outline.  Not many modern patterns use this.   They also tried to come pup with ways of eliminating repeats in patterns since repeats destroy the effectiveness of camo in some uses.

Tan and Water/Sumpftarn is great here, even in the summer.  Some of the reproduction anoraks are very nice, useful garments here too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I still say MARPAT is an excellent modern camo for NY. It works well in any temperate forest and the desert version is good for fall/winter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I still say MARPAT is an excellent modern camo for NY. It works well in any temperate forest and the desert version is good for fall/winter.
View Quote

I've been wearing Marpat Goretex overpants deer hunting this year, they do work very well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#17]
FWIW, I used to use MARPAT for Airsoft. I find mainly in the fall it worked pretty decently. A bit better than in the summer. I've had two people literally step on me, along with someone talking to a tree (thinking it was me) that I wasn't even near.

What works for the area you're in seems to differ vastly, NY seems to have 3 or 4 different main types of areas. I've seen the old standard woodland work really well in the summer where MARPAT was only moderately decent.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I've tried MarPat, CADPat and MULTICAM, I find CADPat works best where I have some evergreen cover, MARPat is a bit too brown for locally.

Also, the old Canadian version of British DPM works well here, with a predominately mustard/tan lighter background that British.

Ironically, M1968 Vietnam Tigerstripe disappears in evergreen forest!

Most of my new camo gear is MULTICAM...

Another great pattern for here was actually developed for Africa....Rhodesian!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Multicam
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Multicam is often too light here.  There are times when it works ok though.  

RCMP vs. Micmacs...

Danish M84 is another one that works well here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Multicam is too light but neon green is fine?!

Base color in a temperate forest would be brown, not green. Kryptec Hilander would be pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#22]
In my area multicam is consistently too light except in the late fall and early spring:

Like most universal camos it works ok in some areas but not as well in others.  Base colors aren't static they change seasonally- the Germans recognized that and that is why they went to the extra effort and expense of making a reversible system.   We aren't forced to use any one universal system so we have the freedom to choose whatever pattern works for the region and season we are in.  In an Eastern forest-boreal transition area the light greens are particularly well suited but they work

Don't feel compelled to wed yourself to a single "one size fits all" pattern, adapt to suit your needs.

Experiment, see what works for you in your area and use whatever you find best.  Deciding what is best can be highly subjective and seasonally dependent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In my area multicam is consistently too light except in the late fall and early spring:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/sepp45/121111_021_zps792b6399.jpg
 Like most universal camos it works ok in some areas but not as well in others.  Base colors aren't static they change seasonally- the Germans recognized that and that is why they went to the extra effort and expense of making a reversible system.   We aren't forced to use any one universal system so we have the freedom to choose whatever pattern works for the region and season we are in.  In an Eastern forest-boreal transition area the light greens are particularly well suited but they work

Don't feel compelled to wed yourself to a single "one size fits all" pattern, adapt to suit your needs.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7204/20090409556.jpg
http://www.kifaruforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=459&stc=1&d=1239459548
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5600/20090409564.jpg

Experiment, see what works for you in your area and use whatever you find best.  Deciding what is best can be highly subjective and seasonally dependent.
View Quote

Good useful info in this post, take a look at the easter bunny photo,,,,,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top