Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 7:36:46 AM EDT
Wondering if I removed and blocked off the gas tube if the gun would be considered a bolt action with the charging handle as the bolt handle? Question being would this fly in the face of the safe act BS?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly fine.

It would no longer be semi auto and therefore not be controlled by the AWB.

But then you have a gun that looks cool but can't function as an actual weapon anymore.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perfectly fine.

It would no longer be semi auto and therefore not be controlled by the AWB.

But then you have a gun that looks cool but can't function as an actual weapon anymore.
View Quote

Well, it would function as a weapon, just as a straight pull bolt action....

Its a decent work around, and as it no longer semi auto, I would have a bayo lug, collapsible shoulder thing that goes up, flash hider, detachable 10/30 mag, every damned "evil" feature available, and never shoot it without the bayonet detached....its a nice big FU to Cuomo, and any pro SAFE LEO's who might hassle you...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
But you'll have to be arrested and have the police lab boys test the rifle in order to prove it's not semi auto.

Myself, I'd be worried about "Yes, at that moment the rifle was broken and not firing correctly, but with a simple fix it was made semi automatic again."

Meaning to risk my freedom, I'd want something a bit more permanent than just a misaligned gas block or missing gas tube.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But you'll have to be arrested and have the police lab boys test the rifle in order to prove it's not semi auto.

Myself, I'd be worried about "Yes, at that moment the rifle was broken and not firing correctly, but with a simple fix it was made semi automatic again."

Meaning to risk my freedom, I'd want something a bit more permanent than just a misaligned gas block or missing gas tube.
View Quote

If you remove the gas tube, and blank off the port by threading, putting in a screw, and adding some JB Weld or weld over it, I think you'd be beyond safe (if you'll pardon the pun...), or get a barrel with no port drilled.

I have always said, you need someone with sparkly clean record, and set for money, and nothing better to do...make the above mods, troll for a JBT, get arrested, and then sue the living shit out of everyone. Yeah, they'd drag it out a long time, but ultimately that case has got to be a winner...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thread a screw into the gas port and weld over it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or free float barrel with no gas block and front sight on forward rail.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone on here actually tried this?

I'm just wondering if the inertia or blowback alone would at least partially cycle or unlock the bolt???  If that's the case, then an unfriendly NYSP or ATF lab tech could just say it's still semi automatic, just a malfunctioning semi...

Just wondering, since a lot of people have discussed this option, but no one has ever posted an AAR of doing it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen someone shooting one with no operating issues.I believe he welded over the gasport as described
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]

The rifle functions perfectly as a single shot side charging AR 15. I blocked the gas port with a solid piece of rod (same size as the gas tube) that is held in place with a roll pin, just like the gas tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top