Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2024 3:14:45 PM EDT
I know this a 3d printing forum, but I could not find an arfcom forum for my issue.  I came to this forum before and you solved my problem when no one else could.

The mother board on my computer died.  I do not have the skills to replace it and so ordered a new refurbished computer.  I bought a docking station to access the old HD but could not get it to work.  I have now tried a HD adapter and still no luck.  I tried this on two machines and there isn't even a letter showing a drive is there.  Shouldn't I have to do something to the old HD to tell it is not the main HD, but is now an external HD?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#1]
The better arfcom forum for that question would be this one:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Urban-Commandos/124/

(And, typically you should be able to take the 'primary' hard drive from one computer and, using an adapter, connect it as a non-primary drive to a different computer, without having to do anything special other than hooking it up.)

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
When you power up the HDD, can you feel it spin up?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#4]
Your adapter could be the problem you may need a externally powered adapter.  What model hard drive I had this problem?

something like this but for your specific drive.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCFQ9C3/
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:38:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PiGood] [#5]
Long story short, take it to a decently knowledgeable IT guy.

In many cases you can't just unplug a hard drive from a computer and pop it in an external reader an pull the data off them any more. GPT, and encryption can make it a bit of a pain even for the seasoned IT guy.

And that is assuming the motherboard didn't take the drive with it, which is not all that uncommon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, one and all.  This hard drive worked fine in another older desk top computer.  I can hear it spinning in both adapters.  The two adapters I have are both externally powered.  It is not worth it to me to pay someone to fix it.  It is apparently defective now anyway.  I get the same result with an older new in wrapper HD I was going to put in my laptop.  Oh well I learned something.

Thanks again!
Top Top