Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/2/2024 12:51:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine who is a commercial electrician who owns his company told me last Fall his business had slowed down dramatically.

Inflation is overcoming incomes.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Dems have no business experience at least at the under 500 people range. Complete idiots they are.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
But the weird thing is that self employed people don't seem to care. I had a handyman doing a couple of tasks for me that I didn't feel like doing with more on the way. I completely let him do things as he wanted at his pace since he quoted by the job. But he just ghosted me part way through a job.

The economy is broken. Somehow companies can't find workers and workers can't find jobs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted] [#4]
Well - my building plans should get stamped next week and I'm in cash right now.

I don't want a crash, but there may be a silver lining for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe they are buying new stuff and not repairing old

I just hope that people will continue to buy shit boxes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Energy prices MUST drop dramatically for us to have a chance to correct the ships course. Government money printers go brrrrrrrr though to stimulate the economy - which causes more inflation which means more brrrrrrrrr.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a maytag so the repairman can just gloat about yesteryear.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Under democratic leadership we lose everything.

Plenty of people who bought new houses and cars in 2020 won't be keeping them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#9]
Industrial/durable goods is cooling off but compared to the absolute shitstorm of 2021-23 it's cooled to what we'd have considered normal demand pre-covid.  The various industries aren't rising and falling in sync like they have in previous recessions, which is odd.

Generally we're ~6 months behind consumer spending dips given contract terms etc.  If consumer spending is tightening now, and continues to dip to recessionary levels, I'd say for us 2024 will be fine but 2025 could be a mess.

But I don't know.  2008 never effected us to the extent of others given the amount of work we were doing related to Afghanistan.  But the 2016 and 2020 election years were both weird when it comes to forecasted demand.  And while Trump's term was good for the market and economy overall, most of it were some of our absolute worst years ever - not even counting 2020 and Covid.  Obviously they caused significant uncertainty in our markets.  Haven't seen the same uncertainty yet in 2024 but it's tickling the edges of the data available to us.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Been trying to get someone to come out and give me a quote on replacing our pool equipment. Can't get a call back and when I do they either ghost me and don't come by or one company wanted $175 to just come out and look at it.

Same time I called a garage door company this morning to come replace a spring on one of our doors and he's almost done.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder what, if any, impact the aging out of old appliances has.

I’m sure tv repairmen in the 90’s figured they’d never run out of business.

Fast forward to today and not one of those stereo repair/ tv repair shops I remember as a kid is still around.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeckThomas:

View Quote

Government doesn’t prevent people from over-leveraging themselves.

That’s not the fault of democrats or republicans.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By midcap:

View Quote

Bingo, service repair is pricing itself out of the market.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maxima2] [#16]
The fed chairman wants to see about 6% unemployment in hopes that it will stop the inflation.

It won't.

This is still the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HeckThomas:

View Quote

So George W Bush wasn't president before and during the Financial Crisis?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's actually a thing too. Repair people have gotten to used to charging what ever they felt like that now that everone is broke dick they can't pay the high prices, so they can run to COnn's and get a new under the counter microwave for $10 a month
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
My HVAC guy is so busy he can't even call me back or return a text.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jRob:
Energy prices MUST drop dramatically for us to have a chance to correct the ships course. Government money printers go brrrrrrrr though to stimulate the economy - which causes more inflation which means more brrrrrrrrr.
View Quote
Truth.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

These are the lowest energy prices you will see for the rest of your lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]

That's actually a thing too. Repair people have gotten to used to charging what ever they felt like that now that everone is broke dick they can't pay the high prices, so they can run to COnn's and get a new under the counter microwave for $10 a month
View Quote

When the service bill is 50% of replacement, it just isn’t worth it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in high performance electronics. If you don't build F16s or medical imaging equipment you will not set what we make.

My employer has had the opportunity for unpaid days off for months now. Orderes went from "holy shit we need to triple or lead time" to "please take unpaid days because we don't have enough work to keep you busy all day" in a hurry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Its_Raining_Lead:

View All Quotes

not entirely correct if using the real price of commodities.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Yep....that's how the HVAC companies con people into getting whole new systems down here.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#27]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
I'm in high performance electronics. If you don't build F16s or medical imaging equipment you will not set what we make.

My employer has had the opportunity for unpaid days off for months now. Orderes went from "holy shit we need to triple or lead time" to "please take unpaid days because we don't have enough work to keep you busy all day" in a hurry.
View Quote

So ya'll fixed all the stuff that was broken?

Another thing that I find interesting is that it never used to be that businesses were busy every single day

I remember back in the day when i was growing up in the boat dealership and working in one, this was prior to Katrina. You got slow during the winter. So while it was slow, you rebuilt engines, lower units, and power heads, you then cleaned and organizes the shop and did repairs to the shop and deferred maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Industrial/durable goods is cooling off but compared to the absolute shitstorm of 2021-23 it's cooled to what we'd have considered normal demand pre-covid.  The various industries aren't rising and falling in sync like they have in previous recessions, which is odd.

Generally we're ~6 months behind consumer spending dips given contract terms etc.  If consumer spending is tightening now, and continues to dip to recessionary levels, I'd say for us 2024 will be fine but 2025 could be a mess.

But I don't know.  2008 never effected us to the extent of others given the amount of work we were doing related to Afghanistan.  But the 2016 and 2020 election years were both weird when it comes to forecasted demand.  And while Trump's term was good for the market and economy overall, most of it were some of our absolute worst years ever - not even counting 2020 and Covid.  Obviously they caused significant uncertainty in our markets.  Haven't seen the same uncertainty yet in 2024 but it's tickling the edges of the data available to us.
View Quote
21-23 was a shitstorm.  Last fall it really started to slow, but we had 6 months worth of backlog in a business where we normally have 6 weeks. We rode it out through the end of the year into Jan no problem, Q1 had my butthole puckered.  Things are picking up a little now but I'd say still below 2019 levels.  Some of my customers that were all in with one major are hurting bad.    The ISO questionnaires are popping out now, they are doing the busy work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Someone smart sunk a whole shipboard of Samsung fridges in the Pacific????  

View Quote

Thank goodness...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

Government doesn't prevent people from over-leveraging themselves.

That's not the fault of democrats or republicans.
View Quote
But it is in large part due to the central banks that signaled it's a good time to start racking up massive amounts of debt by artificially lowering interest rates during Covid  and keeping rates at near 0% throughout all of Obama's reign.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#31]
"The economy is strong as hell!" - Joe Biden, sorta (we ALL know that came from the teleprompter)

I'm sure if he repeats that enough, it'll magically happen, right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By maxima2:
The fed chairman wants to see about 6% unemployment in hopes that it will stop the inflation.

It won't.

This is still the beginning.
View Quote
yeah it will. People are fear motivated herd animals.   Schwack 6% of them and the herd will shit it pants and stop spending, which will schwack a bunch more.  Hard landing here we come.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:14:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#34]

View Quote

Rest easy… there will always be a market for shit boxes.
Shopping for one myself right now to keep as a winter, salt absorbing beater.

Got anything on the lot that is super duper shitboxy?

I got three fiddy burning a hole in my pocket…
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:

Thank goodness...
View Quote

Yup, I stick with simple controls and minimal electronics.  My shit breaks a lot less.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
If solar and batteries keep dropping in price, that may not be the case.

At this point I'm pretty well hedged on electrical costs. I generate almost everything I need at home. I should be set for 10 years or so, then replace a few batteries and be good for ten more.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DrFrige:
You are 100%. Its a chain of events. If our income drops, our belts tighten and wont go out as much. That affects other good people.

Did I mention FJB?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DrFrige:
Originally Posted By xd341:
yeah it will. People are fear motivated herd animals.   Schwack 6% of them and the herd will shit it pants and stop spending, which will schwack a bunch more.  Hard landing here we come.
You are 100%. Its a chain of events. If our income drops, our belts tighten and wont go out as much. That affects other good people.

Did I mention FJB?

Your state's officials have more to do with your terrible economy does. Biden isn't setting your tax rate, CARB rules or fuel tax.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#39]
We just bought all new appliances.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#40]
do you only do commercial refrigeration? or do you also have hvac residential new construction, changeouts, service, etc depts?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you know how to do plumbing?

If so you will never have trouble finding work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#42]
It's been crazy over the past few years. Traditionally busy-season times we might be slow for months, and feel likes a recession is creeping in. Then... bam! We're slammed. It's like sporadic slowdowns and then all the missing orders show up at once. It's crazy. We have some diversification across industries too that theoretically shouldn't be in sync, but sometimes they are. It's weird out there, I can't shake the feeling that it's coming, then it feels like it is, then it picks up. My butthole is perpetually puckered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#43]
you did your job too well and now nobody's shit is breaking lol
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I think your average individual is no longer capable of maintaining, troubleshooting, and fixing things that a monkey could do, so you have service companies making bank on preventative maintenance and piddly stuff like evap motors and controller replacements.

Speaking from a business standpoint, when a replacement compressor installed costs 1/2 what a new u/c unit does, if the parts aren't under warranty it makes more sense to replace the damn thing and get 5 years of warranty again.

With what hvacr service costs now, it makes more sense to run rtus and refrigeration into the ground, pay out the nose for emergency repair once in a while, and replace units when they get tired rather pay for preventative maintenance. I'm happy to spend a day every quarter doing filters, belts and condensers at my stores to save 12k+ a year.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Or like me and watch YouTube and fix my own stuff.

local buddy let's me buy parts on his account.

So far I can rebuild washers and refrigerators.

Dishwasher too, but wife wanted a new one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#46]
My washing machine just quit and I actually had the thought that I could make that thing pto driven. I am fed up with shit that is designed to fail with electronics and I even have a degree in the field.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Depends on what line of work i would expect.

We've got as much work booked for this year already as we did for all of last year. Yes, costs are up but so is what we are charging.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I know it's anecdotal, but based on what I'm seeing at the curb lately, I'd say people are simply opting to replace broken/older stuff and upgrade to something nicer/newer.  Lots of appliances, tv, ope, etc...  It slowed down over the winter months, but it's back on like donkey Kong the last month or so.  I found a $1000+ toro time master mower someone threw out because the belt for the blades jumped time and they were hitting.  It took me about 15 minutes to fix it.  I'm sure they could have had it repaired for $1-200, but they just replaced it.

I'm getting the same way lately.  If I paid $5-1000 for an appliance and got 10-15 years out of it and can replace it for $5-1000 still, I'm going to replace it.  If I can fix it pretty easily for $100 and am confident my fix will work, I may choose to fix.

Ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pedaler:
My HVAC guy is so busy he can't even call me back or return a text.

View Quote
Fix your HVAC guys plumbing and he will answer when you call

Or have his son as one of your cadets.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
But the weird thing is that self employed people don't seem to care. I had a handyman doing a couple of tasks for me that I didn't feel like doing with more on the way. I completely let him do things as he wanted at his pace since he quoted by the job. But he just ghosted me part way through a job.

The economy is broken. Somehow companies can't find workers and workers can't find jobs.
View Quote

Nah, some workers just can't afford to work for certain wages.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top