Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/3/2024 12:31:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rustler]
Hypothetically, you have $200K to invest into something.  What would you put it into?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By delemorte:
whores
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Why do we keep getting these threads?     Inheritances?  Real estate sales?   BC?     Something else?  

Call Fidelity, have it put into their MM fund.   From there, you can decide how to invest it further.  I said Fidelity for a specific reason.  

Can we please get a Sticky for this.   The repetition is getting tiresome.
View Quote

So many choices.  How do you know which one to use?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would buy a Cadillac Escolade and a few whores.  Pimp them out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on risk and time, but a mix of very stable treasury bills and something tied to the S&P 500, probably.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Put it all into GRT crypto. Then come back in three months and ask us how to invest 400k
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CzechMate5:
Put it all into GRT crypto. Then come back in three months and ask us how to invest 400k
View Quote

Not sure if serious, but I've never taken crypto serious because I've heard it can be hard to liquidate
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Open a short term CD.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a house.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#10]
Originally Posted By Rustler:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167167/2024-05-03_12_53_32-Fidelity_Funds___Mut-3204530.JPG
View Quote

Just opening a Fidelity brokerage account and depositing the money into it will result in it going by default into the SPAXX money market account that's currently paying 4.96% 7 day yield (last year 5.05% for the year).  So a significant improvement over your current rate with really no effort or cost.

Based on your other comment, you're seeking growth.  Personally I would put 40% in VOO, 40% in QQQ, and either leave the remainder in SPAXX to serve as a cash reserve for either unexpected expenses or as dry powder to buy a dip in VOO or QQQ, or do that with 15% and buy Bitcoin with the remaining 5%.

I'm not a financial advisor for anyone but myself and the above may be terrible advise, but it's what I would do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d buy a condo somewhere that I would want to vacation and have property management rent it out so it pays  itself off and then go enjoy it. You’re taking depreciation expense as long as it’s rented, and the rent should pay it off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Hypothetically, you have $200K to invest into something.  What would you put it into?
View Quote

What are my hypothetical goals, risk tolerance, and time horizon? What do the rest of my finances and investments look like?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]

I threw it out there seeing if I can prompt any ideas.

Ideally, I'd like to invest it into something that would start making money for me so I can stop working for anyone else.  Open an RV park or something like that.  

But we can't really do anything until our daughter is out of school.  It's sitting in a 2.5% money market losing money.  We have a bit left on our mortgage, but the rates are at 3% so I'd rather at least put it in a 5% money market or something for the time being instead of just losing money in the account it's in now.

I'll probably be putting  at least 10kk / month into it for the coming years.  When daughter graduates and out of the house, I want to start working for myself.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
What I would do and what I might recommend someone else do are two completely different things.  What should I do with a case of 5.56?  Do I have any loaded mags?  Am I currently IN a firefight? Do I own a 5.56 rifle?

What's your goal?  When will you need it?  How risk averse are you?  Is this complimentary to other investments/savings?  How liquid does it need to be?

I threw it out there seeing if I can prompt any ideas.

Ideally, I'd like to invest it into something that would start making money for me so I can stop working for anyone else.  Open an RV park or something like that.  

But we can't really do anything until our daughter is out of school.  It's sitting in a 2.5% money market losing money.  We have a bit left on our mortgage, but the rates are at 3% so I'd rather at least put it in a 5% money market or something for the time being instead of just losing money in the account it's in now.

I'll probably be putting  at least 10kk / month into it for the coming years.  When daughter graduates and out of the house, I want to start working for myself.

You're gonna need to add another zero to that.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Real estate or ammo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#15]
YOU BETTER BE PREPARING FOR THE UPCOMGIN FIANANCIAL PROLAPSE!

LEAD AND BRASS AND GOLD AND SILVER.

BETTER START STOCKING UP FROM 4 PATRIOT!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Send it to me.  I'm a full-credentialed money manager. Fully insured.  No risk.  Huge returns!  You can trust me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this your life cash savings ( besides investments) or play money?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Put a down payment on a '59 Les Paul.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borat] [#20]
MGs are NOT gonna lose value.

I'd buy 2 M16s and the rest in Vanguard Info Tech Fund - if it's long term, like 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By car_wash_guy:
View Quote

It's money set aside to invest.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends what stage of life you are in. I’m retired and have plenty of income and am safely invested in the market. Just trying to maintain my wealth and grow a little and pay myself.

I do have about $250k in roll-over CDs, about $50k in each just in case I ever need some immediate cash. Rates are pretty good right now.

If I was much younger I would be more aggressive and keep it in the stock market.

We all have different needs so I am doing pretty well just treading the water.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

If you don’t need it for 10 years then low fee sp500 fund. Investing is a long term thing. 5-10-30 year thing.

Max out other tax deferred options first. Then taxable. If you think long term it’s not hard. The only hard part is what’s most tax efficient, long term.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#24]
60% of it into FXAIX then let the rest sit in a money market and earn 5% while I look for preferred stocks or tasty dividend aristocrats that will justify the risk by giving returns in the high single digits.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]
House, real estate, stock market, gold, ammo, machine guns. Take your pick
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Little info on the goals would be nice there bud otherwise figure hookers, blow and bail money.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

@Rustler

We are not trying to pry, but we need way more information.

1) Your age and at what age you would like to retire.<—This will change how aggressive you want to be with your money.  

2) How much do you have invested in a tax-advantaged retirement accounts ie. 401k/403b, Roth IRA, etc.?

3) How much do you have invested in retail accounts already?  This is non-retirement accounts.

4) If your goal is not to use the money when you retire, but rather to buy/start a business in a few years (which you mentioned), you will be much less aggressive with your investments.

Vanguard and others are yielding ~ 5% right now in their Money Market accounts.  This is about as safe as you can get while keeping the money very liquid.  It’s not keeping up with inflation, but you will have to accept more risk if you want a better yield.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/mutual-funds/profile/vmfxx#overview

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:18:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#28]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167167/2024-05-03_12_53_32-Fidelity_Funds___Mut-3204530.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Why do we keep getting these threads?     Inheritances?  Real estate sales?   BC?     Something else?  

Call Fidelity, have it put into their MM fund.   From there, you can decide how to invest it further.  I said Fidelity for a specific reason.  

Can we please get a Sticky for this.   The repetition is getting tiresome.

SPAXX is I believe, their default.   Regardless, it seems safe enough, and more importantly, You buy stocks directly out of it, and your sales proceeds and dividends go directly back into it.    No hassle.   You just earn 4.95 or whatever the going rate is.    

Schwab doesn’t do it that way.  You have to buy and sell the MM and it’s a royal PITA.  

Whether or not you want to buy VOO or whatever, the money is There, ready to go, if we ever get the long awaited correction.    You can even put in orders at say -20% that will just sit there good until cancelled if the market doesn’t drop.

- I just noticed, one of my other accounts uses FDRXX.   I’m not sure if one is better than the other, but the important thing is to get yourself earning the extra 2.25% interest right away.   Every day you don’t, is just pissing money away.  

-fidelity should give me a bonus, but they don’t.    If you ask for it, they may be willing to throw you $2-300 as an incentive.   Make the phone call, they are easy to work with.   They deal with new investors everyday.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#29]
you might die tomorrow.

whores.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#30]
dirt
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#31]
A couple of jumbo CD's if the interest was right.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I never really get it when people say "whats your goal?" The goal is to make more money.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Element94:
I never really get it when people say "whats your goal?" The goal is to make more money.
View Quote

Time and risk tolerance. If you gave me 200k today it’s going to my brokerage, because I don’t intend to use that money for 10-20 years. The money I will use in a few years has been in the market for 30 years.

This is what folks don’t get about investing. It’s a long game.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Betting against the US dollar and our looming default. It’s coming, not if but when.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Hard cash lender.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd pay off my child support.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:
That's 3+ change in BTC. Locked in just before the bullrun.

Likely to become a solid 6-digit return in 12-15 months.
View Quote

Just as likely to have a six-figure loss.
Hard to predict what bitcoin will do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:11:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#38]
First thing is get it into something like “My Banking Direct” and at least earn 5.5% APY until you figure out something better.

After that, consider an aggressive S&P500 fund if you have the time and risk tolerance to let it ride.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#39]
South African 7.62x51 battle packs ....in 2001.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Citadel:

multiple  S&P500 funds - rebalance them once a year
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
S&P 500 index fund of some sort

Just wondering why you would invest in multiple funds that track the same index and why you would need to rebalance them?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Half in high dividend paying ETFs/stocks and half in growth ETFs/stocks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Antisocial1:

Just wondering why you would invest in multiple funds that track the same index and why you would need to rebalance them?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Antisocial1:
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
S&P 500 index fund of some sort

Thought the same and chuckled
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Land.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#44]
If I had nothing else invested (401k, IRA etc...), then I'd open a ROTH IRA and invest $175k in a Vanguard S&P 500 mutual fund.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Something new with a 392
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:
That's 3+ change in BTC. Locked in just before the bullrun.

Likely to become a solid 6-digit return in 12-15 months.
View Quote

This, $150K by May 26, 2025 per my prediction:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#48]
MSOS
TSLA
INTC
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuco22] [#49]
Pay whores to build me a stable on some dirt. Also index fund.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#50]
If you don't have any, buy dirt, buy it now while you still can and it's roughly affordable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top