Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2024 3:11:26 AM EDT
Scary thought.

Instead, the room of Democratic activists is buzzing as Michigan’s 49th governor sits for a TV interview next door, delaying the phone bank where she is expected to remind voters of abortion rights ahead of the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

“I’m not surprised that she is getting national attention,” Anderson later told Bridge Michigan, flashing back to her first impression of Whitmer 24 years ago. “It gave me hope to have this young woman out there who really had the stuff to make it big — and to change the world.”

The fan adulation – and the resulting national news coverage – showcased Whitmer’s so far successful ability to promote her own political brand while continuing to position herself as a key ally for Biden, whose re-election campaign teamed with Whitmer’s “Fight Like Hell PAC” to organize the event.

Speculation over Whitmer’s presidential ambition spiked this month when she confirmed plans to write a book as soon as this year. She’s also formed a federal political action committee that is raising funds for congressional candidates in other states. And she’s expected to up her travel in the coming months.

“In some ways, she's following the presidential preparation playbook to a tee.”

Whitmer, who Biden considered as a running mate in 2020, has acknowledged interest in a future presidential run. But she has repeatedly denied any plans to compete this year while serving as a national campaign co-chair for Biden, who is not expected to face significant opposition in the Democratic primaries.

“All I know is I've been consistent in my support of President Biden and focused on making sure that I’m leading our state through all the ups and downs over the next 10 months,” Whitmer told Bridge, referencing the sprint to November.  “I'm doing everything I can to help reelect the president.”
How Whitmer could win the White House this year

Whitmer insists she has no interest in replacing Biden on the ticket this fall, but experts say the governor could be a top pick for Democrats should the president still decide — or be forced — to bow out of the race.

Democrats haven’t had a convention-based election since 1968, when President Lyndon B. Johnson opted against re-election and delegates nominated Vice President Hubert Humphrey even though he had not won a single state primary.

If Biden dropped out before Chicago, Whitmer or any other candidates would need to secure 300 delegate signatures to be considered in a floor vote at the convention, according to Democratic National Committee rules.

It’s also a possible scenario for Republicans as Donald Trump, the frontrunner for the GOP nomination, approaches his 78th birthday while battling criminal charges, including a federal indictment stemming from his failed bid to overturn his 2020 election losses in Michigan and other states.

Biding her time as a team player for the Democratic Party could ultimately be beneficial for Whitmer – even if Biden ends up losing this fall, Hemond said.

Biden has trailed Trump in several early polls of swing state voters, including in Michigan, where one recent survey had the president trailing the former president by 8 percentage points. The same poll showed Whitmer 5 points ahead of Trump in her home state, which has played a key role in recent contests.

Biden is "in deep trouble in Michigan,” said Richard Czuba, who heads the Glengariff Group Inc. polling firm that conducted the survey. “At some point, I wonder if Democrats are going to realize that and do something about it.”

The speculation that Biden might drop out late and pave the way for Whitmer or some other candidate at the convention appears to be mostly just “wishful thinking” from Democrats wary of a grueling election cycle, Czuba said.

But, he noted, “Biden comes from an era where these things were decided at conventions. He was around (in 1968) when Lyndon Johnson announced in March he wasn't going to run and it threw the Democratic race wide open.”

However unlikely, “there is 100% no doubt that Whitmer is preparing” for the possibility of a convention election, said Sellek, the founder of Harbor Strategic Public Affairs in Lansing.

“I think she's clearly pursuing all angles, as if she could be running this time.”
‘Ain’t no way’

Whitmer has seen the polling suggesting she could be a better candidate to take on Trump, at least in Michigan. But she’s laughing it off for now, publicly anyway.

“I don’t even know why they asked the question,” the governor told Bridge, “because there ain’t no way.”

Democrats aren't panicking about Biden's polling because "nobody's paying attention" 10 months out from the election, said Jonathan Kinloch, a vice chair for the Michigan Democratic Party and chair of its 13th Congressional District.

Biden will win re-election once voters again see the "stark differences" to Trump, and Whitmer will be a "dynamic" contender come 2028, he predicted.

Republicans in Lansing have tried to use Whitmer’s rising political star against her, routinely dismissing her policy proposals as attempts to garner favor with national Democratic Party insiders, donors or voters.

"It's all about public relations," Senate Minority Leader Aric Nesbitt, R-Porter Township, said Wednesday after Whitmer used her sixth annual State of the State address to propose free community college, universal preschool and unveil plans to spend $1.4  billion on affordable housing initiatives.

"She's trying to be in the waiting wings, seeing if Biden's actually going to be the nominee after the convention," Nesbitt speculated. “She seems to be loading up on these promises and then leaving the bill to the next Legislature and governor.”

Whitmer denied a recent report that she’d signed a “seven-figure” book deal, but the governor acknowledged she may still publish a book this year, which would give her another opportunity to connect with a national audience.

“Not like a memoir or anything like that – nobody got time for that – but I’ve taken notes, and if I feel like I’ve got something to share, I might do that,” she told Bridge.

The governor in June launched a federal political action committee to raise funds for other candidates. She reported $171,000 in donations in the first month and announced an initial round of endorsements in December, backing mostly Midwest members of Congress seeking re-election.

Like a book, creating a PAC is a common step for future presidential candidates, who can use the fundraising account as a vehicle to pay their own political expenses, transfer funds to another federal campaign and make connections with fellow politicians across the country, said Sellek.

Whitmer has vowed her PAC will work to help re-elect Biden, as she did last weekend with a series of events that were designed to highlight abortion rights and the threat posed by abortion opponents like Trump.

“(I’ll be) trying to organize here in Michigan and get the word out, but also trying to help the campaign take the information that we're hearing on the ground to inform the work they've got to do," Whitmer told Bridge in Lansing.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/how-michigan-gov-gretchen-whitmer-could-win-white-house-year

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Stretchin Gretchen is, in my opinion,  a Cunt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:34:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck that bitch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Holy cut-n-paste batman
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:37:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#5]
First the rumors about Newsom, now Whitmer. So Dems are gonna be fine with passing over the first black woman vice president as their party's next-in-line for the nomination?

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holy cut-n-paste batman
View Quote

You got to make sure you get all the facts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 4:12:56 AM EDT
[#9]
GD Sensationalism posting at it's best.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck that bitch.
View Quote

I double dog dare you!
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#11]
What happened to oboma's husband, spouse, it? Big Mike.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#13]
She going to do something drastic to get attention? Like plot to kidnap herself?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I offer a hearty  

After seeing Obama re-elected because the GOP wanted it and seeing Biden get elected and then watching as Witmer was also re-elected despite all the damage and deaths she caused as well as all her unconstitutional activities, anything is possible in Democrat run government.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#15]
That will be a stretch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Somebody’s Fentanyl laced dream.

Without massive election fraud and maybe the most corrupt attorney general in American history Whitmer couldn’t get elected dog catcher.

What a farce.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#17]
At this point her COVID behavior has been whitewashed as though it never happened
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#18]
It doesn't really matter who wins, we are doomed as a country and as a species.  The left is relentless and hell bent on controlling the masses and they will stop at nothing.  
Freedom is awesome, but we take it for granted and once its gone its gone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I offer a hearty  

After seeing Obama re-elected because the GOP wanted it and seeing Biden get elected and then watching as Witmer was also re-elected despite all the damage and deaths she caused as well as all her unconstitutional activities, anything is possible in Democrat run government.
View Quote

You ain't bluffing. Anything goes, & they know it. GOP is riding shotgun with them, just in case anyone was going to hang their hopes on a political savior from the R. No one is coming to save this country except We, the People. Or not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
Fuck that bitch.
View Quote

Quoted:
What happened to oboma's husband, spouse, it? Big Mike.
View Quote

Cuntasourus Rex
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
First the rumors about Newsom, now Whitmer.
View Quote

Combine the two and there's your golden ticket.
Newsom-Whitmer for 2024.
We're sunk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Newsom-Whitmer for 2024.
We're sunk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#23]
We've tried to visit all 50 states in our time here. Michicunt is gonna be a hard pass for us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Probably against Haley.
Probably not against Trump.

"That woman from Michigan" has lost a lot of political capital in this state, and has had some highly visible agenda hangups.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At this point her COVID behavior has been whitewashed as though it never happened
View Quote

Yeah putting recovering covid patients in with grandma and grandpa was unforgivable.

Also her and her administration’s response to the flooding in Midland should have prompted a near-Flint water crisis level of investigation and accountability but it all got swept under the rug and forgotten due to Roe v. Wade making every non-abortion topic irrelevant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Just what we need... a huge asshole in the Whitehouse...
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
First the rumors about Newsom, now Whitmer. So Dems are gonna be fine with passing over the first black woman vice president as their party's next-in-line for the nomination?

View Quote

That is the result of affirmative action VP selection.  Reap what you so assholes.   Wonder how they will get rid of her?  Feigned health problem?  Assassination? Nothing is below these scum.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Biden's not dropping out
View Quote

It might not be something he chooses to do, but the dude is 81 years old.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Newsom-Whitmer for 2024.
We're sunk.
View Quote

Doubtful.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fuck that bitch.
View Quote

I would.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#36]
The Dems are delusional.  Lockdown Queef as POTUS?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

For a Karen. lol.

Not gonna happen
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Biden's not dropping out
View Quote

But he could drop dead.  ??

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#40]
TL;DR nor needed to as this subject matter is brought to you by the letters W, T, And F.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#41]
vince mchman has a better chance of becoming president.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fuck that bitch.
View Quote

FPNI.  She is evil.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That will be a stretch.
View Quote

Well done!
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fuck that bitch.
View Quote

You will fall in, never to be found again
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I offer a hearty  

View Quote

QFT.
Michigan might just have the dumbest voters and shittiest repubs in the nation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We've tried to visit all 50 states in our time here. Michicunt is gonna be a hard pass for us.
View Quote

Get up to the north woods and Michigan is a beautiful place.  But that coven of witches down in Lansing has gone to great lengths to destroy this place, the mad queen of Michigan in the White House would be even worst than the current installed pedophile.

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#47]
She can be president is she is kidnapped first
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Democrat primaries gonna be finalized by a cage match between Big Mike Obama and Stretchen Gretchen MC'd by Gavin Newcum.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#49]
They got away with it in 2020, 2022, so now they just have to count the ballots in 2024 again and get their puppets installed. Vote harder in AZ, PA, MI and WI?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Holy cut-n-paste batman
View Quote

2023’ers fuuuuuuck! Didn’t even bother.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top