Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2010 1:15:10 PM EDT
All steel cased in a flashy red and black box.

9mm $9.47/box.

.223 $4.97/box.

They did raise the price on the Federal 9mm to $10.57/box from $9.40 when the Rooski ammo arrived.

Interesting.  Maybe they'll bring in some nice Prvi Partizan loads next.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I just wish the Russian mob would allow Olimp and Temp .22lr ammo to be exported again.  That stuff was awesome for target shooting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I may try some but honestly I'm not too excited
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Wish they'd carry the primers.  Hazmat fees suck.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't like passing rumors, but someone in here once reported a kaboom from Tula ammo.

The red flag wasn't the kaboom itself, although of course that's annoying, but rather that he was unable to find any direct importer or manufacturer to complain to.  Everyone involved passed the buck and refused to take responsibility for the ammo, and he was thus stuck bearing the total cost of the resulting damage to his firearm.

Tula is very much "use at your own risk" until I hear otherwise.  Not worth it, imo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

Yep.  Sometimes I buy ammo there too.

But my wife never sends me to AIM to buy a 48 lb bag if IAMs dog food, sometimes she does send me to Walmart and I buy the Federal bulk .22LR while I'm there, today I saw the Tula.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw it and didn't buy any as I haven't heard anything of it... I figured I'd buy about 60 rds to run through my AR to see how it is.  Is that even enough to see if it works somewhat decent?
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I saw it and didn't buy any as I haven't heard anything of it... I figured I'd buy about 60 rds to run through my AR to see how it is.  Is that even enough to see if it works somewhat decent?

I bought two boxes for the same reason.  I'm guessing its about Wolfish in performance.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't like passing rumors, but someone in here once reported a kaboom from Tula ammo.

The red flag wasn't the kaboom itself, although of course that's annoying, but rather that he was unable to find any direct importer or manufacturer to complain to. Everyone involved passed the buck and refused to take responsibility for the ammo, and he was thus stuck bearing the total cost of the resulting damage to his firearm.

Tula is very much "use at your own risk" until I hear otherwise. Not worth it, imo.

Yeah that was a guy here, he blew up his H&K .45. As you pointed out he could not find a phone number for Tula. Initially he was talking to Wolf whom thought it was their ammo, and they were going to stand behind the product. When Wolf realized it was Tula they of course could not help. I think the guy never got any results.
Tula might be made in the same factory as Wolf but Wolf stands behind the product where Tula has not. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought two boxes for the same reason.  I'm guessing its about Wolfish in performance.

That's because it is Wolf.

Wolf is just an importer - not a manufacturer.  Tula manufactures a lot of ammo for Wolf.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
My Walmart has mini-14's now but no Tula.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
This is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolf is just an importer - not a manufacturer.  Tula manufactures a lot of ammo for Wolf.

Are you sure Wolf is made at Tula?
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

From reading posts here and on other sties, I think it is.

The difference is Wolf stands behind their products that they sell. So if it damages your gun they will cover you. Stuff boxed Tula don't seem to.

There is also another thread, might be in the FAL forum. Someone bought a lot of the .308 and it blew out the mag of his FAL.

I've heard nothing wrong with the .223 though.

But IMO I'd rather stick with Wolf until the reputation with Tula gets better.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want more bang for your buck (heh, heh )

CTD has Tula 9mm @ 8.29/50.

Strange thing is, 159.79/900.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Woo-hoo, someone duped me!

Quoted:

The red flag wasn't the kaboom itself, although of course that's annoying, but rather that he was unable to find any direct importer or manufacturer to complain to. Everyone involved passed the buck and refused to take responsibility for the ammo, and he was thus stuck bearing the total cost of the resulting damage to his firearm.

Tula is very much "use at your own risk" until I hear otherwise. Not worth it, imo.

Yeah that was a guy here, he blew up his H&K .45. As you pointed out he could not find a phone number for Tula. Initially he was talking to Wolf whom thought it was their ammo, and they were going to stand behind the product. When Wolf realized it was Tula they of course could not help. I think the guy never got any results.
Tula might be made in the same factory as Wolf but Wolf stands behind the product where Tula has not. YMMV

I found that thread, and sent him the contact info for TulAmmo. Check here
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

100% sure.

Tula makes Wolf black box, Ulyanovsk makes Wolf Military Classic.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

100% sure.

Tula makes Wolf black box, Ulyanovsk makes Wolf Military Classic.

this

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Meh..

For some odd reason I'll shoot steel cased 5.56/..223 but I won't shoot steel in pistols.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The red flag wasn't the kaboom itself, although of course that's annoying, but rather that he was unable to find any direct importer or manufacturer to complain to.  Everyone involved passed the buck and refused to take responsibility for the ammo, and he was thus stuck bearing the total cost of the resulting damage to his firearm.

Tula is very much "use at your own risk" until I hear otherwise.  Not worth it, imo.

Who do you complain to if you have a kaboom with Lake City ammo?
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who do you complain to if you have a kaboom with Lake City ammo?

Well, you could probably start by talking to Lake City.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Found Tula .380 at my local wallyworld.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#25]
ill use the tula to get on paper, then sight it in proper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I will no longer shoot Tula .223.

I've never had any problems with Wolf or any steel cased ammo, but while shooting some fresh from the box Tula I had a round blow a primer and lodge the case in the chamber.

The upper and lower came apart fine, and after a few hours of basically beating my Dewey cleaning rod down the bbl with a steel male/female adapter I finally punched the bastard out. No discernible bulge in case, I need to take some calipers to it to check the specs just for shits and gigs. Checked the chamber and barrel thoroughly, nothing out of the ordinary, no burrs or anything else. Lake City and Federal brass ran fine after that.

I was going to post pics and make a thread, but never got around to it. This was about a month ago. I gave the rest of that ammo away to a friend with fair warning, I don't know if he's shot it yet.

I'm confident the issue wasn't with the gun, so from now on no Tula for me, likely no steel case at all.

I think I'll manage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

And even cheaper at cheaper than dirt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've never had any problems with Wolf or any steel cased ammo, but while shooting some fresh from the box Tula I had a round blow a primer and lodge the case in the chamber.

The upper and lower came apart fine, and after a few hours of basically beating my Dewey cleaning rod down the bbl with a steel male/female adapter I finally punched the bastard out. No discernible bulge in case, I need to take some calipers to it to check the specs just for shits and gigs. Checked the chamber and barrel thoroughly, nothing out of the ordinary, no burrs or anything else. Lake City and Federal brass ran fine after that.

I was going to post pics and make a thread, but never got around to it. This was about a month ago. I gave the rest of that ammo away to a friend with fair warning, I don't know if he's shot it yet.

I'm confident the issue wasn't with the gun, so from now on no Tula for me, likely no steel case at all.

I think I'll manage.

Next time do not put a steel rod down the bore and beat on it. You probably scratched the shit out of your bore.

Leave the rifle assembled. Pull down on the charging handle while you smack the buttstock on the ground a few times and it will come right out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'll manage.

Next time do not put a steel rod down the bore and beat on it. You probably scratched the shit out of your bore.

Leave the rifle assembled. Pull down on the charging handle while you smack the buttstock on the ground a few times and it will come right out.

That doesn't always work. I've had cases get stuck so bad that I put to put a cleaning rod from a Mosin down the barrel and beat on it with a hammer to get it out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I think I'll manage.

Again - Tula is Wolf.

If you're that offended by what happened, then don't shoot any steel cased ammo again.  What happened with you could have happened with any ammo.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They did raise the price on the Federal 9mm to $10.57/box from $9.40 when the Rooski ammo arrived.

interesting strategy on competition

competitor comes in so you raise your price

makes sense

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Do not shoot Tula 308 in your FAL  
Two different guys, two different cases of ammo, two different FAL rifles, same results. Blown out mags.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh..

For some odd reason I'll shoot steel cased 5.56/..223 but I won't shoot steel in pistols.

Curiosity got me.  Why not?

I don't because generally extractors are more difficult to replace in pistols. In an AR it's cake.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Again - Tula is Wolf.

If you're that offended by what happened, then don't shoot any steel cased ammo again. What happened with you could have happened with any ammo.

Your statement is incorrect.

The brand "Tula Ammunition" is not the brand "Wolf Performance Ammunition."  "Tula" ammunition is imported by TulAmmo USA in Texas.  "Wolf" ammunition is imported by SSI in Anaheim, CA.

Some of the ammunition sold by the importer SSI under the brand "Wolf Performance Ammunition" Is made at the Tula Ammunition Plant in Russia.  Some is made at Ulyanovsk, some (Wolf Gold) is made at Prvi Partizan.

All of the ammunition sold under the Tula brand in the US is made at the Tula Ammunition Plant.

If Tula brand ammuniton screws up, it isn't Wolf Performance Ammunition / SSI that's going to stand behind it.

Wold stands behind their branded product.  TulaAmmo USA should stand behind their's.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again - Tula is Wolf.

If you're that offended by what happened, then don't shoot any steel cased ammo again. What happened with you could have happened with any ammo.

The brand "Tula Ammunition" is not the brand "Wolf Performance Ammunition."  "Tula" ammunition is imported by TulAmmo USA in Texas.  "Wolf" ammunition is imported by SSI in Anaheim, CA.

Some of the ammunition sold by the importer SSI under the brand "Wolf Performance Ammunition" Is made at the Tula Ammunition Plant in Russia.  Some is made at Ulyanovsk, some (Wolf Gold) is made at Prvi Partizan.

All of the ammunition sold under the Tula brand in the US is made at the Tula Ammunition Plant.

If Tula brand ammuniton screws up, it isn't Wolf Performance Ammunition / SSI that's going to stand behind it.

Wold stands behind their branded product.  TulaAmmo USA should stand behind their's.

It is not incorrect.

Tula is one of the brands that Wolf imports. (see my post earlier in this thread for more on that).  If you won't shoot Tula, don't shoot Wolf black box.

No one has said that Wolf is going to back Tula's standalone product.  That would be absurd to expect.  I'm merely mentioning that he said he had no problems with Wolf (and most likely, Tula made Wolf as that's what most folks I know shoot).  I was merely reinforcing (as I've already mentioned it in this thread) that Wolf black box is made at the Tula ammo plant.  Same. Exact. Ammo.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Two different guys, two different cases of ammo, two different FAL rifles, same results. Blown out mags.

Yet I've shot 500rds of Wolf through my FAL without a single problem.

Wolf = Tula if divided by zero
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet I've shot 500rds of Wolf through my FAL without a single problem.
Wolf = Tula if divided by zero

There's some fancy statistical term for this i forgot.
But basically 500rds aint shit son.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

3 different guys, 4 case failures.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=7&t=324951

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#39]
cool. More local ammo for all.

I agree I buy bulk from AIM but its nice to pick it up locally in a pinch or casually too though
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Most (steel case) wolf is made at Tula.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Again - Tula is Wolf.

Are you sure it is being imported through Texas?

I have a case of it on which the importer is marked as a company in New Hampshire.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again - Tula is Wolf.

The brand "Tula Ammunition" is not the brand "Wolf Performance Ammunition." "Tula" ammunition is imported by TulAmmo USA in Texas. "Wolf" ammunition is imported by SSI in Anaheim, CA.

Some of the ammunition sold by the importer SSI under the brand "Wolf Performance Ammunition" Is made at the Tula Ammunition Plant in Russia. Some is made at Ulyanovsk, some (Wolf Gold) is made at Prvi Partizan.

Wold stands behind their branded product. TulaAmmo USA should stand behind their's.

It is not incorrect.

Tula is one of the brands that Wolf imports. (see my post earlier in this thread for more on that). If you won't shoot Tula, don't shoot Wolf black box.

No one has said that Wolf is going to back Tula's standalone product. That would be absurd to expect. I'm merely mentioning that he said he had no problems with Wolf (and most likely, Tula made Wolf as that's what most folks I know shoot). I was merely reinforcing (as I've already mentioned it in this thread) that Wolf black box is made at the Tula ammo plant. Same. Exact. Ammo.

All ammunition Wolf imports is under their brand, regardless of where its manufactured.

Wolf sales has told me in the past that they ("Wolf") set the specifications and do some level of QASP on the ammunition they import, which is why they stand behind it (liability).

Just because two products are made in the same plant does not make them "identical".  The counterfeit Leupold scopes sold on e-Bay are made in the exact same Chines factory that real Leupold scopes are made in (Leupold screwed up in their legal paperwork) - but they aren't Leupold scopes.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I have a case of it on which the importer is marked as a company in New Hampshire.

The TulAmmo USA website shows the address as Round Rock, TX.

Dan's Ammo used to import Barnaul, then Barnaul USA was set up in Washington State. Usually these foreign concerns switch agents / importers a couple of times until they set up a US subsidiary.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'll manage.

Doesn't always work - Wolf steel is soft - softer than brass. Sometimes, the rim gets destroyed by the extractor, forcing the use of a cleaning rod down the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'll manage.

Doesn't always work - Wolf steel is soft - softer than brass. Sometimes, the rim gets destroyed by the extractor, forcing the use of a cleaning rod down the barrel.

Had a similar issue this past Sunday with wolf.  Had to smack the buttstock againt the shooting bench to free the bolt. The extractor pulled part of the rim so I used a USGI cleaning rod to clear the case.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The TulAmmo USA website shows the address as Round Rock, TX.

Dan's Ammo used to import Barnaul, then Barnaul USA was set up in Washington State. Usually these foreign concerns switch agents / importers a couple of times until they set up a US subsidiary.

Mine was imported by "Star Vector Corp" in Goffstown, NH according to the sticker on the case.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'll manage.

Once the bolt is out of the way, the case pops out very easily. No reason to beat a cleaning rod unless using the charging handle/ground does not work.

The case is not what is holding the bolt in. The bolt is pinched by the primer against the back side of the lugs, making it very hard to turn. Once the bolt is moving it doesn't matter one little bit if you rip part of the case rim off. Then you can pop the case out with a cleaning rod using a light tap. Get the difference?
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#48]
That sucks. Wish they would have just lowered the price on the fed, and left the russian stuff out of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Doesn't always work - Wolf steel is soft - softer than brass.

Steel softer than brass?  I learn something new every day on ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I like that tula stuff for the range. I've shot close to 500 rounds recently and had 0 issues.

ETA: in .223

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top