Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/22/2012 3:46:31 PM EDT
Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said the man cornered the officer in his wheelchair and was making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen. At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.

She said the man came "within inches to a foot" of the officer and did not follow instructions to calm down and remain still.

"Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon," Silva told The Associated Press.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19613657/officer-shoots-kills-double-amputee-in-wheelchair

I need the entertainment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, just saw that. This looks bad. I hate that this kind of crap makes all cops in the country look bad.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
They could have just put some chocks under the wheels, called in SWAT and waited the guy out. This was just another unjustified attack on innocent citizenry that we've come to expect from the continual militarization of police. This all started under Bush.  

On a more serious note, this situation pretty much sucks for all involved, especially the guy in the wheelchair.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
He couldn't pepper spray the cripple?
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
can't decide if this will be a good thread or not.........
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet the guy in the wheel chair would give an arm and a leg to rethink his actions.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or just get away from him. I mean how fast can a guy with one arm and one leg go in a wheelchair?

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Insky!
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Suicide by cop.  He didn't have the guts to do it himself.  Too bad.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh this thread is going to be good.

In on 1...

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Should have used this,..... Dumbasses.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or just get away from him. I mean how fast can a guy with one arm and one leg go in a wheelchair?
"It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."
I've dealt with wheelchair psych patients in the hospital; they can be surprisingly fast.  Possibly fast enough to get to the officer and depending on exactly what was a 'pen'; could be a good shoot. Going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are done.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
well the Pen IS mightier then the Sword

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."
I've dealt with wheelchair psych patients in the hospital; they can be surprisingly fast.  Possibly fast enough to get to the officer and depending on exactly what was a 'pen'; could be a good shoot. Going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are done.

I do not know all the facts either but still think the officers could have done something else. Hit him a night stick or sprayed his ass or something. Fuck i don't know.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
In before resident apologists defend and derail this thread?
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Suicide by cop.  He didn't have the guts  appendages to do it himself.  Too bad.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Those motorized ones can go pretty fast.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm gonna go out on limb and say wheelchair boy wasn't doing a very good job keeping the man out of his life. Hell, I learned when I was about 14, you don't fuck with cops unless you want to A. go to jail B. get an ass beating or C. a combination of the two.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

but not a pistol....
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not know all the facts either but still think the officers could have done something else. Hit him a night stick or sprayed his ass or something. Fuck i don't know.

Or he could have sat there, weighing his options on what he should do, and what he should use, while his partner gets stabbed the fuck up.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Some of those guys just don't know when to quit.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it a motorized chair? I would lean towards good shoot if it was. It's a maybe right now.

Pens are dangerous.

Maybe they could have done something else, but a dude stabbing at a cop probably shouldn't be around.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Suicide by cop.  He didn't have the guts to do it himself.  Too bad.

And MOST happy to oblige, another notch and a paid vacation
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or he could have sat there, weighing his options on what he should do, and what he should use, while his partner gets stabbed the fuck up.

I'm not exactly Bruce Lee, but I think I could take a one armed guy in a wheelchair.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#26]
SureFire pen no doubt
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#27]
DId...........the officer get home safe ?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He had ONE FUCKING ARM  !   He could probably go in circles really fucking fast though    

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
DId...........the officer get home safe ?  

Yes, he even got a chair out of the deal.

Awful damn hard to stab AND operate a wheelchair at the same time with one arm............... you can move or stab, but not both at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Good shoot. Pens can be mightier than the sword.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Disappointed in you, that line has already been used!
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not exactly Bruce Lee, but I think I could take a one armed guy in a wheelchair.

Take?  And what, risk getting stabbed? Bit if you get close?   From the article, sounds like the guy was mentaly unstable, what happens if you try to "take" him and he doesn't feel any pain because he's having some form of episode?

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disappointed in you, that line has already been used!

I'm disappointed in myself.  I didn't get here hast enough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've dealt with wheelchair psych patients in the hospital; they can be surprisingly fast. Possibly fast enough to get to the officer and depending on exactly what was a 'pen'; could be a good shoot. Going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are done.

He had ONE FUCKING ARM ! He could probably go in circles really fucking fast though

How many arms do you think you need to stab someone?

Only one obviously, but how many arms do you need operate a wheelchair and stab someone?

I'm thinking four hands beat one hand with a pen, or at least they should be able to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
[

Take?  And what, risk getting stabbed? Bit if you get close?   From the article, sounds like the guy was mentaly unstable, what happens if you try to "take" him and he doesn't feel any pain because he's having some form of episode?

If someone is really that full of fear and trepidation, especially when it involves a one armed guy in a wheelchair, perhaps they should consider a different line of work, like maybe a pillow maker.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Fuck it I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[

If someone is really that full of fear and trepidation, especially when it involves a one armed guy in a wheelchair, perhaps they should consider a different line of work, like maybe a pillow maker.
How many violent encounters have you been in that ended with bloodshed and/or death.

There's a difference between fear and caution.  
The fact you're so quick to underestimate the ability of an assailant leads me to believe you're probably a bit inexperienced in the matter.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#42]
What a dumbass. Who the fuck goes after a cop waving something that looks like a weapon? I'm going out on a limb here, but I doubt that "wheels" was a model citizen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've dealt with wheelchair psych patients in the hospital; they can be surprisingly fast. Possibly fast enough to get to the officer and depending on exactly what was a 'pen'; could be a good shoot. Going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are done.

He had ONE FUCKING ARM ! He could probably go in circles really fucking fast though

How many arms do you think you need to stab someone?

Only one obviously, but how many arms do you need operate a wheelchair and stab someone?

I'm thinking four hands beat one hand with a pen, or at least they should be able to.

See my post above. You don't need an arm at all to propel a wheelchair. You do need a working leg though.

I agree he could do the Flintstone, but i've seen that plenty and I wouldn't call it a fast and manuverable means of getting around.  I'm just not convinced two grown men can't handle one guy with one arm and one leg without killing him.  Then again maybe they just didn't want to bother trying to figure out how to handcuff a one armed man.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What a dumbass. Who the fuck goes after a cop waving something that looks like a weapon? I'm going out on a limb here, but I doubt that "wheels" was a model citizen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

So I guess this means we should shoot all non model citizens, or maybe just gas 'em. I suppose all cripples should be purged from society.

Maybe the guy in the wheelchair had a dog in his lap, that might explain it better.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd love to see video.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Cop was a Doctor Who fan, feared it was a sonic screwdriver.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree he could do the Flintstone, but i've seen that plenty and I wouldn't call it a fast and manuverable means of getting around. I'm just not convinced two grown men can't handle one guy with one arm and one leg without killing him. Then again maybe they just didn't want to bother trying to figure out how to handcuff a one armed man.

You can close a small gap with it pretty quickly. The odds are pretty well stacked in favor of the two cops when it comes to fighting a guy like this, but the appropriate thing to do when you think a guy is about to stab you or someone else is to shoot him.

Your avatar pretty well sums up how to handle a berserk one armed one legged mofo in a wheelchair.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw one hauling ass down the sidewalk in one of the electric ones last night.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Those motorized ones can go pretty fast.

maybe it had vectored thrust.
i lived in houston for 4 years, and nothing HPD does surprises me. Having said that, i'll wait for the video and investigation.
The witness statements seem to back up the cop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top