Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/8/2014 6:13:56 PM EDT
I enjoy reading fantasy books in my spare time (knights and wizards type)
I need some recommendations on what to read next.
ive read all the rr martin books, eddings, jordan, marco, sanderson.. looking for something epic that I havent read yet..
fire away!

eta I dont care for the hobbit nonsense.. left those out on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
the bible, especially revelation 19 where Jesus comes riding a horse and kills everyone
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
RA Salvatore.  Read everything with Drizzit in it starting with Homeland.        

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Steven Brust, The Jhereg series.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Terry goodkind.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the fantasy book where the hero is good looking and kicks ass and gets the girl and satisfies her with his 10" cawk while defeating his enemies with nothing but the force of his good character. I imagine that I'm the main character and it gives me a braingasm with every page turn. Also there are elves.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Robert Asprin   Myth series, as well as Magic Kingdom series

Also, "Thieves World" is an anthology he created with a bunch of other fantasy writers, so would be a good into into writers and styles.
Robert Heinlein "Glory"

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Joe abercrombie

David Gemmel

Michael Moorcock

Glen Cook black company

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ive read all the rr martin books, eddings, jordan, marco, sanderson.. looking for something epic that I havent read yet..
fire away!

View Quote

Steven Ericksons Malazan Book of the Fallen is a good series that is seriously epic. Gardens of the Moon is the first novel.

Glen Cooks Black Company books are great. I've heard good things about his Dread Empire series too, though I haven't read them.

(ETA Eight seconds dammit!)

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
God Slayer

Sword of Shanara series (Terry Brooks)
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Glen Cooks Black Company books are great. I've heard good things about his Dread Empire series too, though I haven't read them.

View Quote
I liked black company better than dread empire. It seemed to be a bit more wandering and disjointed.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I liked black company better than dread empire. It seemed to be a bit more wandering and disjointed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved Black Company!

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 but get ready to lose months of your life.  Salvatore will suck you in.

Read the Cleric Quintet or TheDemonwars Saga after those.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Jim butchers Dresden Files for a modern twist.
Naomi Novik Temeraire for a historic fantasy.
Richard A. Knaak Legend of Huma or any of the older dragonlance novels for normal fantasy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Piers Anthony. If the Xanth books are too goofy for you, try the Apprentice Adept.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Kind of surprised they haven't been mentioned yet. I've read the first six a couple times.

ETA:

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 but get ready to lose months of your life.  Salvatore will suck you in.

Read the Cleric Quintet or TheDemonwars Saga after those.
View Quote

+1. Love the Cleric Quintet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#18]
The old Thomas Covenant books?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Richard A. Knaak Legend of Huma or any of the older dragonlance novels for normal fantasy.
View Quote
Fuck Knaak and the Legend of Huma.

May the shit of a thousand dragons fall on him out of the sky.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Steven Ericksons Malazan Book of the Fallen is a good series that is seriously epic. Gardens of the Moon is the first novel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fire away!

Started gardens of the moon, heard raves about the series but the first few chapters were underwhelming.. You're saying I should soldier on? :)
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#21]
An Inconvenient Truth.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Second the Dresden Files.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Wheel of time by Robert Jordan.

Also Steven kings dark tower series (the gunslinger)

Edited to support glen cooks black company series.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Matthew Stover the caine series starting with Heros Die. Caine is prolly my favorite charecter out of all the fantasy I have read and I have read most that have been metioned in the thread..  He is a badass but doesnt have the flaw of always having to be good.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Also a vote for Glen Cook. He has three in the Instrumentalities of the Night series, plus a forth on the way.
I like his Garrett P.I. too.

Mickey Zucker Reichert's Renshai series, seven out, one pending, and the last to be written next year.
Also two in her Nightfall series.

These are my favorite of her Fantasy Novels.

Disclaimer: she's my wife.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#26]
You always have A Song of Ice and Fire and the LOTR books. Those alone will keep you busy for a while
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Started gardens of the moon, heard raves about the series but the first few chapters were underwhelming.. You're saying I should soldier on? :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fire away!

Me too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
fire away!

View Quote

Might look into The Witcher. Short, simple, cheesy, but overall fun. Second one is just a lead-up to #3 so don't get too excited.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Mickey Zucker Reichert's Renshai series, seven out, one pending, and the last to be written next year.

View Quote

I never could get into the renshai series, but I enjoyed legend of nightfall quite a bit.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the bible, especially revelation 19 where Jesus comes riding a horse and kills everyone
View Quote

I saw the thread title and wondered how long it would take for someone to post that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fire away!

I got about 130 pages in and gave up.  Utter shit.  I've been told that the first few books are heavy going, but it really starts to pay off after the fourth or fifth book, but I have no desire to wade through that much to find out if it's true.

Glen Cook is good.  Steve Brust's older stuff is good, but not epic in scope.  Oh, GRUNTS, by Mary Gentle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Terry goodkind.
View Quote

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

It's kind of a what would happen if Frodo wasn't less useful than a wet paper bag.  

Richard Rahl is everyman's hero.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Another vote for the Black Company books by Glen Cook and the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.
I also recommend the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman and the Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Hustler and Penthouse Letters Forum
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson.
View Quote

+1.  Just don't ask your wife to read it.  20+ years later, I still get shit about it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Lots of good suggestions so far. I'll add,

Peter V. Brett
Raymond E. Feist
Michael J. Sullivan
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I never could get into the renshai series, but I enjoyed legend of nightfall quite a bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll pass it on.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Try Playboy or Penthouse
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Raymond E. Feist's "Riftwar" series. Or go back and read Moorcock's "Elric" books. Or Keith Taylor's "Bard" books, if you can find them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#40]
The Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny is pretty epic.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#41]
i second the Malazan Book of the Fallen recommendation.  solidier on.  epic series w/ military brotherhood ethos.  Gardens of the Moon is just a warm-up for the future epicness in later books.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fire away!

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Try "The Escaped Prisoner and What The Warden's Wife Saw "
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I got about 130 pages in and gave up.  Utter shit.  I've been told that the first few books are heavy going, but it really starts to pay off after the fourth or fifth book, but I have no desire to wade through that much to find out if it's true.

Glen Cook is good.  Steve Brust's older stuff is good, but not epic in scope.  Oh, GRUNTS, by Mary Gentle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fire away!

Utter shit? Nah.  Not for everyone, certainly.  I admit I got stuck about halfway through Gardens of the Moon and (true confession time) between some characters being UTTER bastards and my concentration going completely to hell I've only made it about a quarter of the way through the fourth book. But Deadhouse Gates (the second) is absolutely great and not much gets more epic than the Chain of Dogs.

The thing about Gardens of the Moon (and to a lesser extent the entire series) is that begins in media res with a vengeance.  The novel begins after a great deal has gone on and Erikson doesn't bother to explain shit.  LoTR had a big ole backstory but it got doled out a teaspooon at a time.  Erikson doesn't bother with a wee fire hose, he opens the fucking flood gates of the Hoover dam.  But (at least so far) it all means something.  Little snippets of verse or odd plot points mean things in later books.  It's all very well done, I thought.

But de gustibus and all that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Jim Butcher's Furies of Calderan are also really good books, more in-line with swords and sorcery, but hell, anything he writes is pretty damn good.

Brent Week's Night Angel trilogy is also really good, if a bit off the wall.  I picked up the first one on a whim at the bookstore (I HAD to get something to read, and liked the cover) and was, for once, pleasantly surprised.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Utter shit? Nah.  Not for everyone, certainly.  I admit I got stuck about halfway through Gardens of the Moon and (true confession time) between some characters being UTTER bastards and my concentration going completely to hell I've only made it about a quarter of the way through the fourth book. But Deadhouse Gates (the second) is absolutely great and not much gets more epic than the Chain of Dogs.

The thing about Gardens of the Moon (and to a lesser extent the entire series) is that begins in media res with a vengeance.  The novel begins after a great deal has gone on and Erikson doesn't bother to explain shit.  LoTR had a big ole backstory but it got doled out a teaspooon at a time.  Erikson doesn't bother with a wee fire hose, he opens the fucking flood gates of the Hoover dam.  But (at least so far) it all means something.  Little snippets of verse or odd plot points mean things in later books.  It's all very well done, I thought.

But de gustibus and all that.
View Quote

Nah, it wasn't confusing, just bad.  Everyone I've seen an opinion from who likes the Empire of Marzipan books admits that the first one or two or three aren't all that good, but they get really good after that.  Okay.  The later books may be the best things ever written, but I'll never know because the first one sucks donkey balls and I'm not going to get that far.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Dragon Prince series.

Dragonlance as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Also, "Thieves World" is an anthology he created with a bunch of other fantasy writers, so would be a good into into writers and styles.

Robert Heinlein "Glory"  
View Quote

Should be "Glory Road." Young guy in early Vietnam era gets 'drafted' by a beautiful woman and her henchman to save the galaxy. Swords, sorcery, hot babes and dragons.

And I haven't even started spoiling it for you!

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Should be "Glory Road." Young guy in early Vietnam era gets 'drafted' by a beautiful woman and her henchman to save the galaxy. Swords, sorcery, hot babes and dragons.

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Robert Heinlein "Glory"  

Click To View Spoiler
Good catch!

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Check out Steven Brust, The Jhereg series.
View Quote

Great books. I've read them all multiple times
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't read much of that genre, but Robin Hobb's "Assassin's Apprentice" series is really good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top